It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Defunded Police Works

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I remember other time in other place when I was young and Police got no money to do their job. Dear millennials, this could be something new for most of you and maybe you think protesting against the police or defund them is smart, my experience tells me that it only makes things worse.

I used to see a police car parked 2 block away from home, everyday. Sometimes I saw people speeding up or passing a red light but the police car never chased them. That road takes you to the mountains in half hour or west to the ocean in about same amount of time.

About a mile away there were 2 more police cars parked, one west and one east. So they figured out how to do their job without spending gas. The cops downtown just had to describe the vehicle by radio and let the other car mile away stop it.

No ticket issued. instead you had 2 options. Buy a ticket for a raffle that will never take place or just pay cash like 50% of the infraction. Everybody was ok with that, we knew how poorly paid where those officers. Call it corruption if you want, for them it was survive and feed the family.

Sometimes the markets where full of pickpockets taking advantage of old ladies buying groceries, in these circumstances cops let them go away and never used their guns. I asked some of them why. They said because they had to buy their own bullets.

My father had a fancy restaurant, sometimes criminals were waiting outside to ambush costumers and steal their cars too. My father became friend of the captain of the police station. He told him to send the officers of that area to the restaurant at the end of their shift to have a free meal. Problem solved, Italian way.

Don't be stupid, if you believe you're victim of abuse by any authority, use the right channels provided by the law.

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

On average, two cops in our town are fired every other year for sleeping with girls in the back of their cars...

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 08:46 AM
link   
The defund the police crowd's only motivation is to defund them so they can steal what they're too lazy to work for. Every statistic fly's in the face of their movement. They kill more police than police kill them and that doesn't even account for the fact that most deaths by police are justified unlike the other way around. They commit over half the homicides in the country while only representing about 18% of Americans. They kill their own race indiscriminately, whine about it on the news, but won't tell on the guy that killed them because snitches get stitches. Well, news flash buddy, because you aren't snitching, your buddies are getting bullets instead of stitches.

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 08:55 AM
link   

So by golly gee we'd better let police do what they will to us -- or our fellow citizens -- because if we don't accept their abuse then they won't protect us? Really???

Quite honestly, this is the most ridiculous criticism of "defend the police" that is being made.

If the police are just as much a threat to the people as the criminals are to the people, then we're just paying criminals to abuse us, and we're better off accepting the responsibility for ourselves. At least we can legally defend ourselves against the civilian criminals.

If you really want to stand for the police, at least stand for the good ones and denounce the bad, otherwise you're just painting good cops with the same broad brush -- and making excuses for their abuse of the people!

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

Defunding will just get more criminals killed.
The police will not be showing up to stop anyone so the only way to be sure is to lay some lead.

Indiana has passed a law preventing families from filing lawsuits for damages if a family member is shot while committing a crime.

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

I think you didn't understand what I said.

I said what you should expect if police is defunded. It's what I saw. I didn't stand for anybody.

I lived that situation and I saw police without money is really bad.

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 09:04 AM
link   

I’m not sure this will lead to the police being without money as much as there being fewer of them.
Longer response times and Long waits for backup.

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 09:05 AM
link   

I think if you aren't looking at it through the glasses of the extreme ends, defunding the police means to ensure money is spent where it counts. There's lots of places where some officers don't even carry guns, but it's also known guys with big guns are on standby just in case, like in the UK.

Where i grew up there were these police vans that would roam the streets. We would call them the harass patrol, they'd just drive around follow groups of teens, and literally kidnap homeless people. Does a city really need a highly mobile version of the beat?

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Indiana has passed a law preventing families from filing lawsuits for damages if a family member is shot while committing a crime.

Good to see some common sense once in a while.

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

I think every situation is different.
We have 50 states and the difference between Utah and California is night and day.

Here is Chicago..
heyjackass.com...

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

I think if you aren't looking at it through the glasses of the extreme ends, defunding the police means to ensure money is spent where it counts. There's lots of places where some officers don't even carry guns, but it's also known guys with big guns are on standby just in case, like in the UK.

Where i grew up there were these police vans that would roam the streets. We would call them the harass patrol, they'd just drive around follow groups of teens, and literally kidnap homeless people. Does a city really need a highly mobile version of the beat?

I don't know about UK but defund police in places like NYC can't be wise. I believe police needs a reform, not a defund.

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

I think you didn't understand what I said.

I said what you should expect if police is defunded. It's what I saw. I didn't stand for anybody.

Please. If police are defunded then they go away and we won't see anything you cited.

You provided examples of under funded police in general, as if those conditions and circumstances applied to the current efforts to de-fund abusive and brutal policing, in effect completely ignoring and dismissing WHY people are demanding defunding.

I lived that situation and I saw police without money is really bad.

Well, living with brutal and abusive police with a license to kill is even worse.
edit on 4-7-2020 by Boadicea because: formatting

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 09:29 AM
link   

This will lead to police not getting out of their cars in the poop area. Which will teen thevpoop areas into pooppy areas.

The question you have to ask your self is: does crime cause poverty it does poverty cause crime?

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

Crime causes poverty..
So does culture.

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Like I said, police needs reforms. Bad cops are a minority and the solution to that takes intelligence, reacting with hate and thirst for revenge won't solve anything. Don't put good cops in the same bag.

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Well, from what I know London started to change their ways during the IRA era. Highly populated, highly dense place like that needed some form of reform. Heavily armed police weren't really the solution, or giving more guns and power trips for police wasn't the answer either.
CCTV, and training programs have worked out quite well. I know such a suggestion is enough to get most American's in an out roar, but for places like NYC that might be the way to go to stop an overly abusive police force.

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

Like I said, police needs reforms. Bad cops are a minority...

Yes, they are. And in good departments, they don't last long. The problem is those departments where the rot starts at the top, and bad cops are the norm.

...and the solution to that takes intelligence.

Yes, it does. And intellectual honesty. And comparing an under-funded department of good cops to a well-funded or over-funded department of bad cops is neither intelligent nor intellectually honest.

...reacting with hate and thirst for revenge won't solve anything.

When a city's entire police department has gone bad, refuses reform, and continues to brutalize the people and their rights, it is self-defense and protection... not a "thirst for revenge."

And hate is an appropriate response for a police department that abuses and brutalizes the people they are paid to protect.

Don't put good cops in the same bag.

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

CCTV, and training programs have worked out quite well.

You got that right. Of course it can take some time but it's way better than act by radical impulses without measuring consequences.

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 10:07 AM
link   
In a small town I lived in for almost 20 years had no police, no traffic lights, no gas station, one 4 way stop and a grocery store and coop where you could buy gas in a pinch. We had a couple of cops roll through from another town but not very often. We did have a fire dept. and Ems only because we had a retirement home. Pretty mellow town until we got cell phone service and then it seem like every kid had one.

posted on Jul, 4 2020 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad

Good to see some common sense once in a while.

Yes, but it should not have been an option in the first place, by letting it happen in the first place is part of the reason things are the way they are now.
Who let families sue people who were only defending themselves against criminal behavior in the first place?
So it's good, but they just fixed a problem that they helped create.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join