It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive Star " Vanishes "

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 07:00 AM
link   
This is something i have not heard of previously. A massive star has vanished.

Astronomers have observed a “monster star” mysteriously disappearing into darkness in a nearby galaxy.

Located more than 70 million light-years away in the constellation of Aquarius, this star is part of the Kinman Dwarf galaxy. Scientists are not sure why the star can no longer be seen but believe there may be two possible explanations.

The first is that the star may have become less luminous and is being partially obscured by dust, and the second, more intriguing, suggestion is that the star collapsed into a black hole without exploding as a bright supernova

Andrew Allan, a PhD student at Trinity College Dublin, Ireland, who led the research, said if the star indeed collapsed and mysteriously vanished, “this would be the first direct detection of such a monster star ending its life in this manner”.

He added: “It would be highly unusual for such a massive star to disappear without producing a bright supernova explosion.”

www.sciencefocus.com...

Almost every day we learn something new about The Universe.

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 07:08 AM
link   
It would be hard to imagine the compression into a denser object that did not cause some manner of out-gassing or pressures, creating some type of energetic event which would be observable.

There is something to learn from this, even if it's just related to the telescope or software at the observatory.

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 07:10 AM
link   
The more we learn the more we realize we don’t know.

I wonder what scientists will think of the 2020s in 300 years.

I was just reading about a hypothetical singularity, a theorized black whole with no spin no charge and no event horizon; just a gravitational singularity in the fabric of space

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Bad news for massive Hollywood stars. They can just disappear into oblivion.

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Interesting symbology - "black star" in Aquarius... Black sun and age of Aquarius .

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
This is something i have not heard of previously. A massive star has vanished.

Andrew Allan, a PhD student at Trinity College Dublin, Ireland, who led the research, said if the star indeed collapsed and mysteriously vanished, “this would be the first direct detection of such a monster star ending its life in this manner”.

He added: “It would be highly unusual for such a massive star to disappear without producing a bright supernova explosion.

www.sciencefocus.com...

Almost every day we learn something new about The Universe.

It never ceases to amaze how we think we know it all know. It would be highly unusual for this to happen?!!

How long has the universe been around versus us? Maybe supernova are the exception and not the rule. I mean, we never had telescopes until when?

We need to get over ourselves.

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 08:01 AM
link   
It's just hiding because it looked at Earth and freaked out.

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Maybe it supernova'd a while back and we missed it.

Mistaken identity?

Maybe there's a form of accretion disc that bubbles adjacent to an event horizon, if it were part of a binary system or had a large gravitational pull that kept part of the supernova expulsion out of the horizon... a little mini star remnant that sits along the outside of an event horizon until it gets slurped back up?

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Maybe being 70 million light years away we are just observing the end processes that may have started 70 million years ago.

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Oh crap! Didn't this happen one an episode of "The Orville", and in that episode wasn't it about.

The episode is called: "All the World Is Birthday Cake" (I pulled this from the WIKI, but you can get an episode synops from a few other places too that's why I didn't provide a link)

The Orville detects a signal from Regor 2, a planet searching for other intelligent life in the universe, and initiates first contact. The Regorians welcome Ed, Kelly, Claire, Bortus, and new Xeleyan security chief, Talla Keyali. However, when it is learned that both Kelly and Bortus have birthdays in a few days, the Regorians denounce them as "Giliacs," people predisposed to violence. They are immediately sent to a Giliac internment camp. Claire deduces that Regorian culture is based around astrology; Giliac is an astrological sign and those born under it are considered potentially violent. Talla correctly hypothesizes the origin of the Giliac stigma: a star in the Giliac constellation collapsed into a black hole millennia earlier and the star's disappearance was interpreted as a bad omen. John deploys a solar reflector that simulates the star when viewed from the planet. With the star's apparent resurgence, Giliacs are no longer considered inherently dangerous, and Kelly and Bortus are released rather than executed.

The bolded text is the important part here. Makes you think doesn't it.
edit on 1-7-2020 by Guyfriday because: I already said why

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Also I seen 5 UFO last nite early this 3am.
They looked like stars.
I observed to see if they moved like satellite but they didn't.
One flashed a couple times. Oddly I tried to see if it responded to positive vibrations or thoughts as I thought thanks and sent happy to see you are still around thoughts it blinked... I sent a I Love you all and it blinked accordingly over all it blinked at least 8 times as it glided by. Then it went dark...

I didn't take pics from my phone but I did try to see if it responded to the phone light it didn't.
Consider these objects looked like stars so even if I had a nice camera the footage would of been not to well.
Funny to see so many in visual space above me this am.

edit on 7/1/20 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Ophiuchus 13

Two nights ago I saw what looked like a star, but it was moving.
I watched it for about 8 to 10 seconds and then it just disappeared.
I didn't think it was a satelite and definitely not an airplane.
on the east coast.

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 12:49 PM
link   
East Coast also.
a reply to: JHumm

Not sure what is being observed up there, but it sure is nice to know there is more to reality then what goes on down here.

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I'm going with a massive Dyson sphere.

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I went on to cleverbot to play some echoborg games after the sightings and this is part of the chat blue is cleverbot participant/observer, black is me, notice how it responds with some of my ATS signature 🤔😊 never understood that😂

a reply to: JHumm

An echoborg is a person whose words and actions are determined, in whole or in part, by an artificial intelligence (AI).[1]

The term "echoborg" was coined by social psychologists Kevin Corti and Alex Gillespie, whose research at the London School of Economics explored unscripted face-to-face social encounters between research participants and confederates whose words were covertly supplied by rudimentary AIs known as “chat bots" and vocalized via speech shadowing.[2][3] The idea is derivative of the cyranoid concept that originated with Stanley Milgram.[4][5]

The “echoborg method” allows one to investigate how people behave and make attributions toward an AI (or more precisely, a human-AI “hybrid”) when their psychological state is fully primed for human-human interaction.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Perhaps it was consumed in a collision with an existing black hole partner?

Imagine a binary star where one went supernova and produced a black hole long before human observation.

The brightness of the 'massive star' could have been an artifact of the black hole in low orbit stealing matter and the matter becoming radiant as it accelerated approaching the event horizon. This would mean that the energy would be most likely to be strongest in the X-Ray spectrum and would be most likely to indicate the presence of a close orbit black hole.

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: CraftyArrow
I'm going with a massive Dyson sphere.

My first thought that.
I wonder if they are going to be friendly or if we are all going to end up in pickle jars...

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 04:29 PM
link   

At first I was unsure if light from this star had suddenly disappeared as if someone had turned a light switch off or if it had gradually dimmed.

But after reading the BBC report on their News website, www.bbc.co.uk... I now understand that it hadn't really been observed for a number of years.
In addition it is that far away that we can't physically observe individual stars in this galaxy and rely on other methods to determine their presence.

The Kinman Dwarf galaxy is too far away for astronomers to see its individual stars, but they can detect the signatures of some of them.

Astronomers used the Very Large Telescope - VLT - in Chile to try and observe the star.
When the Extremely Large Telescope comes online, expected in 2025, they may be able to tell us more.

Coincidentally; my initial reaction was the same as others - Dyson sphere.

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Perhaps the star was in the middle of a super luminous event when they first observed it and now it isn't bright enough to see anymore through the dust and gasses in space.

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 06:44 PM
link   
You soon forget!
this is the second one.
they said that one was a Dyson sphere.

the stars arecgoing out!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join