It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What will replace the R1 Sentinel?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 04:05 AM
link   
As it stands at this moment in time at the end of March 2021 the RAF will be basically scrapping their fleet of 5 R1’s.

My question is what..if at all..will they be replacing them with?

Will it be the P8...with a pod like the US Navy is playing with obviously...purchase some RQ 4’s...or can the F35’s intel gathering capabilities be used. Obviously it won’t be able to do what the radar on the sentinel can do or see but it might be able to do some of the R1’s other roles..!

Any thoughts anyone..??

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Silentvulcan
Well given standard UK government practice probably nothing for 10 years until a sudden realization of a yawning gap and then buy whatever the US has. They did it with MRA4, Sea Harrier, GR-9 Harrier and a host of other programs and capabilities. And it will keep on happening until you actually make the bureaucrats who cook up these schemes accountable with jail or a nice shiny guillotine in the town square. The world and particularly the West is now run by self serving idiots.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 09:56 AM
link   
If they had spent money on the R1 a few years ago instead of cost cutting exercises it wouldn’t be going on the scrap heap now...shame really...despite all its lumps and bumps it’s a really elegant looking aircraft...underneath all its warts..!! 😂a reply to: thebozeian

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 12:04 PM
link   

I wouldn't be surprised to see them go after Triton once it's a little more mature. It has the capability do some of the Sentinel mission, and sea search to back up the Poseidon fleet.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Can it do the overland “stuff” if you know what I am on about...???? a reply to: Zaphod58

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Yes. It keeps a lot of the Global Hawk "stuff" but changes some of the surveillance gear out for sea search optimization.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 02:50 PM
link   
So if the RAF want to replace the R1’s why not just buy the Global Hawk instead of the Triton....which I believe are £140 million a pop...? a reply to: Zaphod58

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Because Triton can back stop their P-8A fleet, where Global Hawk can't. They can use Triton as an MSA, and monitor shipping so the P-8s can go sub hunting and not get tied up on that mission.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Makes sense...I’ve also heard they might increase the number of P8’s we are getting and purchase some of the “Special belly pods”...that should make a nice R1 replacement.a reply to: Zaphod58

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Check your PMs.

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 04:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

I wouldn't be surprised to see them go after Triton once it's a little more mature. It has the capability do some of the Sentinel mission, and sea search to back up the Poseidon fleet.

I thought for sure we would go with a BAMS approach to supplement the fewer P-8s than Nimrod we would buy.

Cant believe its retiring already, my Brother worked on the ASTOR bid that lost to this one and we were in the chalet at Farnborough with either the King of Brunei or King Hussein, sure it was Brunei, the chalet had our ASTOR bid in it.

So since then this was selected, built, lifed out and about to be retired, seems a short life...

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 06:52 AM
link   
It is...and the whole fleet has hardly any flying hours on them...a reply to: Forensick

top topics

join