It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They're Going To Re-Define This Word - Racism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Yep, you read that right. Apparently, you just have to axe.

Racism definition: Merriam-Webster to make update after request

So it seems that the person in question wasn't happy with the current definition. That unhappiness stems from other people quoting her the dictionary definition to demonstrate that they are, in fact, not racist. The terms of that definition are as follows.

1 - a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

2a - a doctrine or political program based on the assumption of racism and designed to execute its principles, b) a political or social system founded on racism

3 - racial prejudice or discrimination

Now, I've got to say, that's pretty concise. When all of the possibilities presented above are considered, particularly the broad racial prejudice or discrimination it's pretty hard to see why it would need to be redefined.

People were copy-and-pasting the definition to her in an attempt to prove racism could only exist if you believe your race to be superior to another. "They were saying: 'You're in school [university], so what do you mean? You have privileges as well'. I said it's not about that, it's about the hurdles that I had to jump over because of the colour of my skin and the systems that are in place."

Bolding by me.

But, silly me, it does seem that it is missing something.........it's missing that racism feeling. You know the one? It's the one you get when things seem difficult, you've gotta work real hard to get to where you want to get to ........ and you end up being resentful about that because you think you're way smarter than that.......so it's gotta be something else...... it couldn't possibly be you, it's gotta be a racist system.

And what then can you do about it. That's right, complain about the definition of the word and ask for it to be changed.

On 28 May, Ms Mitchum emailed Merriam-Webster to point out that racism is "both prejudice combined with social and institutional power. It is a system of advantage based on skin colour".

To her surprise, she got a response the next day. After some back-and-forth, Merriam-Webster said the "issue needed to be addressed sooner rather than later" and that a revision would be made.

Issue? What issue?

Are you seriously trying to tell me that a persons individual interpretation of personal experience can be taken as a racist event just because they felt that it was racist. Nothing to demonstrate racism, no evidence, no conversations, nothing....just a feeling.

Ms Mitchum said the issue of definition is vital.

"I think it's very important for people to be on the same page," she said.

Yet another sad day for reality.

Link

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell
Sweet! Ima petition them to redefine “sanity”

edit on 10-6-2020 by slatesteam because: Pho Cough

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Don't you know we live in a world where personal feelings are more important than facts and reality? Have you been under a rock for the last 10 years?

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 05:46 PM
link   

So all I have to do is think you are racist, call you a racist. . . and then you become a racist?

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 05:47 PM
link   
She's pretty much saying that people aren't critical enough to determine the context and meaning of racism.

This is her argument,

racism is "both prejudice combined with social and institutional power. It is a system of advantage based on skin colour".

To a moderate educated and or aware individual, this is all but already apparent, because the underlying assumption is that Racism, those that feel their race is superior to others, will already act in that manner, thus resulting in the social and instititional power systems. This isn't a byproduct, rather, a symptom of the underlying issues.

To be fair, the "revision" would only pertain to the second part of the definition and add to, not take away.

However, my point stands as the current definition cuts straight to the point, I agree with the OP.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

That’s just you using the word “racist” the same way you use “communist”.

Nuance.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: myselfaswell

Are you seriously trying to tell me that a persons individual interpretation of personal experience can be taken as a racist event just because they felt that it was racist. Nothing to demonstrate racism, no evidence, no conversations, nothing....just a feeling.

A real kick in the teeth for those who need it as a 'get out of jail card'

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

So all I have to do is think you are racist, call you a racist. . . and then you become a racist?
No. Apparently just saying you’re not racist makes you one as of now...

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

That’s just you using the word “racist” the same way you use “communist”.

Nuance.

I won't have a racist disagree with me!

(see what I did there?)

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Looks like that'll be the new reality.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: myselfaswell

Looks like that'll be the new reality.
Note: the definition of reality is subject to change too

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I'm not feeling well today, I have the racist.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 08:50 PM
link   
When you make a word mean everything, it means nothing and out of it's uselessness, soon a new word will form to replace what it once was. By becoming useless, it will lose it's power. All will be racist, and so, none will be racist. I wonder, what will be the word to replace it? None of this of course does a thing for the harm caused by the creation of the concept of race. If anything, it just muddies the # outta crap and will give idiots the temporary ability point at everyone and cry racist for awhile and point to the dictionary when they disagree and say, "Uh huh, see!!!" Which become even more overused than it is today, at which point any claim of racism, no matter how true or poignant will be ignored. Which is why a new word will form that means the things the term racist and racism original stood for...

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 09:25 PM
link   
guys it's real damn simple.

anyone, of any colour, can be racially prejudiced and can do harm to others or discriminate individually based on the colour of their skin.

racism on the other hand, is systemic and institutionally upheld. Black people are penalised by the system for the colour of their skin, having to work harder to prove themselves and always being the first whom suspicion falls on. This is why black people are overwhelmingly poorer and why there are so many examples of police brutality against them.
You can throw exceptions to this all day long, but that's the point - it's not individuals being cruel or violent, necessarily, [though obviously you do have individuals who are], it's the overarching system.

Nobody is changing definitions, that's what it's always been. This has been talked to death for so damn long and if you still don't get it at this point i can only think of two possible explanations;
either you're extremely, unbelievably stupid
or you just don't want to get it.
edit on 10-6-2020 by continuousThunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 09:32 PM
link   
So every program that is in place to help folks of a certain skin color will now be racist, based on the supposed new definition?

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Right now we NEED unity.

We need to come TOGETHER.......and designate a special place for really stupid people where they can do all the stupid crap they want...together.

And we can call it Stupidland! What a glorious place to not be a part of.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
So every program that is in place to help folks of a certain skin color will now be racist, based on the supposed new definition?

Sort of yes, but also sort of no. It depends really on your personal sense of responsibility.

Take learning mathematics as an example.

The vast majority of people find mathematics difficult. It does not necessarily come naturally to them. Some people understand and accept that personal limitation, but they choose not to give up, they choose to work hard and study long hours learning and practicing so they can get to where they want to be. Even after that, some people don't make it, but accept that as how things are. Sometimes people are just not good enough at somethings.

There are other people though who suffer from Dunning Kruger Syndrome*. For these people, at no time during their lives is it possible for anything negative to be attributable to them as a result of their efforts or the lack thereof. That's where the claim of systemic racism comes in.

*Dunning Kruger is no longer an effect that can be transient in many, if not all people. It has become a Syndrome that is now endemic within the population.
edit on 10 6 2020 by myselfaswell because: because bla de bla bla, bla bla shma bla bla.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

why yes, needing to have special programs in place merely to ensure black people can actually attend school and get jobs is because of racism, well done

posted on Jun, 11 2020 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: continuousThunder

So this isn't about equality or justice, its special treatment.

Well done pulling back and putting down the minorities back because it makes you feel good.

Do you have white guilt?

top topics

join