It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange payment experience at grocery store

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I had a strange experience at the local grocery store the other day and just now thought to ask if anyone else has encountered anything similar.
Anyway, I load up with my groceries and get into line, which was wrapped all the way around to the back of the store... Which obviously meant that everyone waiting in line had to wait a while before they got the chance to pay and check out. As I got closer to the registers, employees were going by asking people if they were paying with cash or credit card. Apparently everyone paying cash was only allowed to pay at one specific register. I thought I heard one employee explain that it was because the pin pad on that one was broken (meaning people can't pay with credit cards on it).
I know there are a bunch of theories floating around that TPTB are trying to do away with cash and force everyone to use credit cards or other "trackable" payment systems - especially now with the advent of "contact tracing". Thinking back on it, I wonder if this wasn't a way to coerce people into paying with a credit card instead of cash out of frustration of having to wait even longer in line after already just being in a line that wrapped around to the back of the store.

Has anyone else encountered a devoted "cash line" because of a "broken pin pad" at their grocery stores?

+8 more 
posted on May, 14 2020 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

It's common in retail.

When they start asking for your vaccination papers, well then I would start getting worried

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Cash money is intensely dirty.

+12 more 
posted on May, 14 2020 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

I think I'd rather touch cash than the pin pad that 300 other people's greasy fingers were all over prior to me that day.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: trollz

I think I'd rather touch cash than the pin pad that 300 other people's greasy fingers were all over prior to me that day.

The cash you have in hand is definitley more contaminated than the cash in your pocket.

Keep wearing a sock on your face as well.
edit on 14-5-2020 by Vector99 because: quote gone wrong

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Butt, but, but, the hell you say

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Wait till they start checking ID cards for vaccination stamps and notarization !!!!

🎃

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Where I am it's currently not unusual under the guise of health concerns for stores to refuse cash completely, taking cards only. And I can't help thinking this is working very nicely in favour of those who've been pushing for a cashless society.

It'll certainly be a lot easier when this pandemic is over for the general public to accept that maybe cash is an inconvenience compared to cards. And I'm sure those pushing for the cashless society will next be making a point of reminding us that the risk of disease transfer is just another drawback of cash useage...
edit on 14-5-2020 by Motorhead because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Quite a few shops by me have card payments only now.
The garage over the road has been doing it for ages, which is not bad when you can just wave your card over the machine, rather than type a pin into it.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 08:14 AM
link   

I've found the opposite with some of the small businesses that I'm trying to patronize despite the shutdown. The pizzeria I go to only takes cash now, no cards due to the fees.

link   

As someone who's worked in cellphones for a few years and has seen how some people manhandle their devices, I totally believe it when big retailers claim their devices are broken. You know how much wear n' tear those things have?? I work at a bank now and have to constantly explain this to people when they're pissed off that their debit card didn't work in those things.

They act like it's our fault, but when I look at my programs I don't even see transactions at the stores they were at, meaning we didn't even get the request for payment. When they ask why that is, I have to inform them that the machines are constantly getting used, so they wear down, get dirty, and are probably on their way to needing maintenance. It happens, especially in busier stores.

Now the pin pad excuse could be an excuse they're giving because maybe they're so busy they only want to count down drawers in certain machines, rather than them all. Did you happen to notice if other machines had signs that said "No Cash Back"?? Those things are a pain to balance down, so maybe they wanted to pigeon-hole all cash transactions to a small handful of machines, rather than them all. They use the excuse of a pin pad being down because there's less chance of people screaming at them than if they said the truth. lol

link   

Popped into a local Dollar General to buy a $2 carton of whipping cream. A sign on the counter said, "No longer accepting cash." Whaaa...??? They need to rename it Credit Card General if dollars are not accepted!

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Motorhead

Where I am it's currently not unusual under the guise of health concerns for stores to refuse cash completely, taking cards only. And I can't help thinking this is working very nicely in favour of those who've been pushing for a cashless society.

It'll certainly be a lot easier when this pandemic is over for the general public to accept that maybe cash is an inconvenience compared to cards. And I'm sure those pushing for the cashless society will next be making a point of reminding us that the risk of disease transfer is just another drawback of cash useage...

Hong Kong has it. It's called " a smart card".

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 08:19 AM
link   
That stuff happens all the time for various reasons, especially in gas stations. Sometimes it’s as simple as the cashier doesn’t have an appropriate bank (various denominations of cash) to hand out to customers) because they’re co-worker broke a $100 bill without paying attention. Back in the 90’s when I was in high school, I had to put a sign up for Card Payments Only every time the manager wouldn’t drop off my bank before I opened in the small, satellite Subway I worked in.

When this mess started, numerous places were only allowing credit/debit card sales. Publix, gas stations and fast food joints. Gloves weren’t readily available. Cash has always been known as a filthy item. Look how much coc aine residue is found on almost every bill, never mind residue from a stripper’s sweaty ass crack.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 08:19 AM
link   
It's so the checkout operator doesn't have to handle cash (reduces risk of transmission)
Here in Oz they prefer (in fact insist on) card payment only. Our cards have a 'pay & go' limit of $200 where a PIN entry is not required for amounts below that limit which was temporarily raised from a $100 limit because of the current pandemic conditions.

The checkout operator stands behind a plexiglass screen (for their protection) and we need to pack our own bags after items are scanned. System seems to be working well.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 08:33 AM
link   

“ I wonder if this wasn't a way to coerce people into paying with a credit card instead of cash“

Or a debit card. No credit involved.....

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
Quite a few shops by me have card payments only now.
The garage over the road has been doing it for ages, which is not bad when you can just wave your card over the machine, rather than type a pin into it.

That’s my preference. Just a tap with the debit card, nothing germy to touch.
I’m surprised so many people still use actual cash...

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 08:44 AM
link   

I agree. Also using credit cards is a faster way to pay with the current situation. I have a scan as you shop scanner as i go in the door, which is much faster and is card only. It makes the line move so much quicker.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Laundromat: dozens of quarters from God knows where....buttons, doors, chrome push carts, dryier handles, tables tops.....etc....

Just quarters alone.....could be 30-50-70 quarters...all handled by dozen if hands x locations x people x machines....etc etc

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: rhynouk

I agree. Also using credit cards is a faster way to pay with the current situation. I have a scan as you shop scanner as i go in the door, which is much faster and is card only. It makes the line move so much quicker.

That's totally it. Card you, get you out....it's a win win

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join