It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will people stick to their buy American convictions

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73
There is also history when people were informed of working conditions oversees that they were outraged.

Yeah? Maybe you can link me to those times and demonstrate how and what they purchased before and after.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 02:06 PM
link   

It’s time for the American people to take back control and then we can decide which historical path was and is the best for the American people.

What you mean "we," paleface? That's your problem. You imply that everyone agrees with you. If they did, Walmart would close overnight. You can't have a movement without people flocking to your cause. And they are not doing that. World economics is not as simple as you seem to think. Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick any two. People will pick Cheap every time and they don't give a # where it is made.
edit on 5/4/2020 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

The we I am talking about never had a choice. We have our choices dictated to us.

Of course people living paycheck to paycheck will pick the cheapest options. I think people often times don’t have the income to chose the higher priced goods.

But I still believe if “we” had a choice the majority would support what I am saying. I think DJT winning was about the hope that “we” would MAGA.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 02:27 PM
link   

I think people often times don’t have the income to chose the higher priced goods.

Then how are tariffs going to help?

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 02:37 PM
link   
No, and even I admit I will not actively switch to American-made, either. It costs too damn much for no quality V cost advantage -- I strongly disagree with the notion that American-made is better, not for domestic pay compensating price hikes they aren't. If China or Vietnam or Honduras or where ever can keep churning out something at half the cost of the American-made version, do you seriously think people are going to pay double when faced with the choice? Especially after all this Covid crap and lost jobs in abundance? LMFAO, no, they won't. They're going to squeeze those pennies until they cry & get every last cent of worth out of them, and because of that, American-made isn't going to storm the markets like some hope.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: JAGStorm

If they don't have the income levels they had before it's not going to happen and the longer this shutdown crap goes on the likelier it is that they wont.

Instead of cheaper goods, people need to be evaluating if they need that sh*t to begin with...

I could careless if a pair of Air Jordans needs to go up 25-50% since I don't buy that crap anyway. Your kid doesn't need 50 different transformer figurines.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

You'd have to ask the other poster what goods he's referring to but if it's your basics then they impact people who cannot afford an increase the most.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 03:08 PM
link   

The we I am talking about never had a choice. We have our choices dictated to us.

Of course people living paycheck to paycheck will pick the cheapest options. I think people often times don’t have the income to chose the higher priced goods.

There ya go. You defeated your own argument.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Who cares?

Everyone was sold down the river a long, long time ago.

Sorry mate it's the first time I've got drunk in 9 weeks

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

The only way this would actually work is for the Federal Government to intervene through tariffs...

Right, because the people impacted by the brunt of this shutdown then need prices artificially inflated via tariffs to help them afford things.

The thing is prices are artificially lower due to slave labor in sh*t hole countries. This is whole point of tariffs. Even a minimum wage worker in the US cannot compete with someone living on $2/day . Even the poorest of our poor have a higher standard of living than even the middle and upper classes in some countries.

Tariffs need to be used to create a level playing field of FAIR trade between like countries.

China exploits our desire for low prices, steals our intellectual property, and then shows they don't give two craps about us lying and hording supplies. It is insanity that we'd allow our manufacturing base to have been completely decimated and controlled by a country like China.

Lower prices lead to more consumption of unnecessary junk for the American consumer. While there is some benefit, it also isn't as dire if prices were to increase for better quality goods that aren't disposable.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 03:23 PM
link   

If US citizens are serious about buying US products, check for barcodes that start with 00 to 13. They are MADE IN USA AND CANADA.

Do Barcodes Tell You a Product’s Country of Origin?

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Surprised we are the same side of this argument.

Well said.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 03:31 PM
link   

My argument involves using tariffs to make imported goods as expensive as US made goods.

My argument also includes incentives to corporations to move production to the US to aid in start up costs which will help keep prices lower.

So I don’t think I defeated my argument. My argument may be based on a fantasy world that doesn’t and won’t exist, but it’s definitely feasible.
edit on 4-5-2020 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Surprised we are the same side of this argument.

Well said.

I am a greedy capitalist pig.

With that said, I see the security risk with having so much of our manufacturing overseas. I think we fight it by creating a friendly environment for large businesses to keep manufacturing state side with lower corporate taxes, regulations, and other incentives along with tariffs.

We will never be able to compete on labor costs. However, we can reduce taxes and regulations enough so that the lower labor costs aren't enough to justify moving a plant overseas.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 03:51 PM
link   
A lot of the stuff that is "made in America" is not. It could have some parts added to a chinese product, or it could have parts made by a US company in China that is then sent to America and assembled into a product. Look at the American made cars these days, I would bet that they are less than twenty percent American made. Sure the frame and body parts are made here, but pretty much everything else is made in a foreign country.

Just because it says made in America on the label does not mean it is.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Intellectual property theft and tariffs are not related, one can be putatively assessed and the other is a hidden tax on the end user.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 04:08 PM
link   
It was Joe Biden that was the biggest lobbyist for China to join the WTO and to get 'Most Favored Nation' trade status.
It was ALSO Biden that voted down any discussion of Human Rights/Labor abuses challenges concerning China during those negotiations.

In the critical fight over whether to grant most-favored-nation trade status and World Trade Organization membership to China in the 1990s — Biden carefully shepherded China through the process from his powerful perch as the senior Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

Wherever a brake might have been applied — by placing human-rights or labor conditions on most-favored-nation status, for example — Biden voted the measures down and lobbied other senators for Beijing. Unfortunately, China and Biden got their way, and American workers are still suffering from it.

www.nationalreview.com...

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Instead of cheaper goods, people need to be evaluating if they need that sh*t to begin with...

Pretty much at least 40% of crap, AT LEAST!

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I never said they were related.

Our IP is stolen / counterfeited by China since they don't respect IP.

Tariffs are to raise the price of a good to offset the lower labor cost as a disincentive to a company wanting to locate manufacturing in China.

The big problem is company management thinks short-term nowadays. It is all about quarterly earnings. Much like our political class. Focus on getting your equity higher so you can make a boatload in options while kicking the can down the road for some other mope who takes over. You don't care as you got yours.

I'm basically saying we offer the companies a choice. Keep your plants here and hire American workers. In return, we make things easier. Call it a 1% corporate tax. Fire Ernst & Young. You don't need them as we are going to simplify things and get rid of taxes. Fast track plant building. Additional credits for locating in heartland cities like Detroit or other small towns that have been devastated over the past 30 years.

or

You can run off to China. But we will tax the hell out of it when you come back, won't offer sh*t in support of you, and will make it difficult for you to conduct business all around. When China takes over your plant, don't go calling our embassy asking for help.

edit on 4-5-2020 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Granted. Check our how many made-in's are assembled and packaged here...with ingred's from...China. American made.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join