It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many atheists can you dismiss?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: toktaylor
a reply to: Lazarus Short this statement right here is why religion exist. People believing they are "special". A god creating the Universe but only revealing himself to a selective few because they are the chosen ones. We need to get over ourselves the universe does not recognize a human being separate from a fly.

Many religions don’t view themselves as special but rather that all people are special.

Some atheists agree with your statement above, that people are no more special than a fly.

THOSE are the atheists I dismiss.

Stalin
Mao
Lenin
Pol Pot
Etc.

posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed
You've apparently not stood among the extremists of contemporary "liberals" and Democrats.

posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Once taught a religion as a child it is almost impossible to escape it. Religion does exactly what its designed to do, to keep millions busy busy busy. And its not that there isn't much good in religion. I myself have benefited much from religion.
Religion keeps youth busy and out of trouble doing positive uplifting good things.
I love the many many beautiful Church buildings there are. Methodist churches are my favorite. They always go all the way with their buildings.

I'll never stop praying and hoping. All of us have short comings of some sort. Heck I'm bald for instance. And no amount of prayer to any God of any religion, God or devil is going to bring my hair back, not gonna happen. And I don't particularly care because I have a nice head after finally getting to see it.

I'm on the short side as well and again no amount of prayer will fix that. I am content however because God has given me other talent.

Someone says well you can't exactly ask for something like that brother. Ok fine! I won't be there Sunday or Wednesday my brother.

There are many wonderful stories in the bible and I love many of them. Some of them may have deeper alegorical meaning
and I hope they do. If religion means something to you by all means never let it go.

I don't want to see the churches all closed down. Hell that's all some of the older people have in this life.
At the same time though the church would close down a lot of functions that make people happy and a good living. One can imagine the buildings and functions that the Church would close.

posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Trucker1
"nolo contendere"

posted on Apr, 29 2020 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Taupin Desciple

People who have to convince themselves of their beliefs by shoving thwm down other peoples' throats are typically insecure about their beliefs.

So much this.

posted on Apr, 29 2020 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

Dismiss 'em? No. Disagree with 'em? Yes.

That's, basically, as far as it goes.

posted on Apr, 29 2020 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I find it curious that no Muslims or Hindus or Buddhists or Norse or Wiccans have any comments to add on this forum. Always Judaism vs atheism and little else or so it seems after a good half hour or so scrolling through the forum and its activity in the last couple years. A little diversity would do some good.

posted on Apr, 29 2020 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

I wouldn't be so certain. There may be various reasons

• they don't engage with infidels
  • they prefer to leave others to work out their own issues
  • they lack the inclination of the martyrdom complexes of the big 3

Or perhaps they just have just come to a point where they prefer not to spend their time directly confronting stiff-necked bigotry of the masses.

posted on Apr, 29 2020 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I suggest "dismissing" the aggressive ones, who give themselves a mission against religion. As a former atheist, I know there's no need for it. I managed well enough on "live and let ive".

edit on 29-4-2020 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2020 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Even if we assume that one religion is true, what does this say about all the other religions that have existed? It says that we humans like to make up religious stories.
And if billions sincerely believe in these false stories, doesn’t this prove that humans are prone to believing religious stories that are untrue?
If most religions claim to have some form of evidence for their faith, doesn’t this prove that such evidence must be weak, and that we humans are really bad at evaluating evidence for religious claims?
And finally, if you were to point out the above facts to most believers, wouldn’t they still maintain that they had the truth? Doesn’t this expose our inability to logically assess the situation?

Bottom line: if you are unable to prove your religious beliefs, then your beliefs require faith, and if you then deny the validity of other faith-based religions, then you probably ought to deny your own as well.

posted on Apr, 29 2020 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Loonery is non-sectarian

posted on Apr, 29 2020 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Live and let live is a good way to go about it.

Peace through superior firepower works, too...

posted on Apr, 29 2020 @ 06:15 PM
link   

I find it curious that no Muslims or Hindus or Buddhists or Norse or Wiccans have any comments to add on this forum.

How do you know they haven't??

I'm one of those.
edit on 29-4-2020 by VeeTNA because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2020 @ 06:18 PM
link   

There Has to be a Divine Creator of All things in Our Particular Universe or NOTHING Would Exist in this 4th Dimensional Bubble . It does , Ergo it IS........

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 01:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_UkharAll of them sign of being closed mind and arrogant

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 02:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar
No punchline, but there are so many heavily religious people that are dismissed such as scientology or the Amish or anyone believing in the Mandela effect ...

Let me stop you there fella. I'm agnostic with fairly atheistic tendencies who is 101% convinced his Mum used to read the BernSTEIN Bears at bedtime. Who also was made to watch Mandela Walk free from prison live on the news (it should be called the Bernstein Effect, I hear more people who remember Bernstein Bears than remember Mandela dying in Prison).

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 02:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Taupin Desciple

No punchline, but there are so many heavily religious people that are dismissed such as scientology or the Amish or anyone believing in the Mandela effect etc. etc.

There has got to be equally foolish atheists.
Where are the atheistic loons?

They have to exist.

Have you found a flat-earther who is also an atheist? Look there.

Most flat earthers I've encountered are also theists. I wonder if there's something to that...

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 12:28 AM
link   

No punchline, but there are so many heavily religious people that are dismissed such as scientology or the Amish or anyone believing in the Mandela effect etc. etc.

There has got to be equally foolish atheists.
Where are the atheistic loons?

They have to exist.

If that's the best they can do...

Stephen Hawking used the word "nothing" in a contradictory and "foolish" manner as well. Discussed below from 16:10 - 23:04 (I do not specifically recommend the rest):

I don't feel the need to go along with your term "atheistic loons" but let's settle on the term "foolish" in an attempt to stay polite. Even though the former term may not be inaccurate and even an understatement in some cases*, it may still offend people's sensitivities to such an extent that they fail to miss the point of this comment or what it is that I'm responding to (which is not the thread title). *: such as those who apparently think they can get away with* pretending to have forgotten what such a simple word and concept as "nothing" means and how the word should be used in honest rational coherent conversation.

*: without looking like fools to the one less easily beguiled by their sophisticated speech, reputations and their trickery. The latter I've discussed in detail on the Origins&Creationism subforum many times, including notably the terms: "tyranny of authority", "appeals to pride" and "reverse appeal to pride that plays on our fear of seeming stupid" (or unsophisticated, "naive", and uneducated, if you look carefully at one little line Dawkins throws in there in the 1st video concerning the term "sophisticated physicist", for an example of such a reverse appeal or manifestation of that pride and resulting haughtiness/arrogance), "slogans", "information overload", encouraging people to absorb "messages more quickly and accept them without questioning or analyzing them", "by agitating the emotions, by exploiting insecurities, by capitalizing on the ambiguity of language, and by bending rules of logic", etc. Most of those quotations are from the article in my signature, but on the preceding page rather than the one linked there.
edit on 1-5-2020 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 02:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJMSN

The Mandella effect has absolutely nothing to do with religion. I don’t dismiss anyone’s views but they shouldn’t dismiss mine either. But to put the Mandella theory in the same catagory as religion...just no

Any belief one might have where the argument ends with "you just don't understand" or "you just haven't done the research" I consider a religion.

At the very least it plays into the same mindset as religion does.

Seriously tho, if you believe in ME's as proof of anything but how our brains work you are as stupid as I am.

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 02:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: toktaylor

What do you mean a few special chosen ones?

I think God reveals himself to those who seek Him. If that's only a few special chosen ones, then that says rather more about us than it does about Him.

Good parents don't wait for their kids to call.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join