It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Government Sponsored Food Shortages Next?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: Snarl

Interesting that meat packing plants are closing due to illness.
Has anyone noticed any fast food restaurants, grocery stores or home improvement stores closed due to illness yet?

BTW, I manage an essential business. we had to lay off employees due to some of our customers being shut down by governors mandate, but we have had no employees sick with COVID (yet).

Local to you and seeing the same things.
Also an essential worker altho no furlough's "yet" due to customers being shut down. Know the home improvement stores had some issues with staffing at first, but seem to have hired from the pool of temp shut down folk.
The fast food places north of you already had problems with lack of customers before the virus. They were already struggling. FWIW

Expected there were going to be problems with the food supply since Feb.
Altho figured it was going to be more the lack of trucks an logistics due to the redirecting of supplies to hard hit areas of the virus by govt agencies. It seems to me what we're seeing with the meat packing plants was to be expected. The warnings about farms not being able to get crops in an to market also began in Feb, IIRC. Just not on MSM. It was in the agricultural news.
edit on 24-4-2020 by Caver78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 11:36 AM
link   

It appears the problem is with production facilities closing. However, is this only limited to animal products or veggies too?
Do animal production facilities create an environment for easier virus contraction?

Also, i don't think it will get so bad that people will go hungry in the u.s. That's more of a concern for poorer countries that face the hard economic impact of covid 19.

Im still seeing lots on the shelves. And if an area faces low meat production they can always go back to rice and beans as a source of nutrients.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColoradoJens
produce dying in the fields

Crops aren't necessarily an unusual thing. There's some market stuff to consider there I never tried to wrap my mind around. But, it's not an unusual thing to see entire fields of crops plowed right under.

Are they softening us up for the big blow?

There are lot of moving things on the tabletop.

Big Brother is watching and collecting scads of human data. When you think about China and their Social Credit System you can't not believe somebody like Zucker#uck isn't salivating over the same opportunity.

Ya think about Ali Baba and Amazon, and consider you've gotta wait almost 3 weeks for a shipping date that would have been same-day just a couple months ago. Autonomous cars (and autonomous only driving zones) and the possibility that the guberment may not want you behind the wheel anymore. You just shop-at-home ... and stay there ... and wait.

Bill Gates wants to infect us with some Mark of the Beast vaccination that may be an integrated effort of the whole 5G rollout.

etc.

You tell me, ColoradoJens ... and we'll both know.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Exactly... And people should also not be eating from corporate factory farms because of animal treatment.

The way many companies treat livestock is horrible. Our treatment of lesser beings is a great example of our ethics as a whole.

No wonder why aliens won't say hello.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

....About the rice an beans....
Discovered by accident that a lot of the dried bean stock in the northeastern US is "old" an literally uncookable. By accident meaning the 5-6 times I tried with instructions from a "southern friend" cause northerners are hopeless (LOL) the problem became immediately recognizable.

What I had JUST purchased from the stores was old. VERY OLD.
Said friend literally had to ship me fresher dried beans to prove the point cooking them was easy.

Point being, rice is easy, but in area's of the country, beans are not.
Just putting this out there cause don't want people thinking their fall-back items are 100% gonna be OK.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I own and lease to a farmer my 180 acre farm in the Texas panhandle, planted in mostly cotton but some truck crops. The cotton is harvested with mechanical harvesters however to harvest the onions, melons, cucumbers, squash and tomatoes we rely on Mexican migrant labor that couldn't cross the border, so we plowed most of it under. We offered the free vegetables to church pantries but didn't get any response. Picking vegetables and loading them into the pick up is hard work.

At least the cotton crop was good!! And they put up some cell towers on the north part and that pays enough to pay the taxes on the place. I have had offers from developers to build houses...I hate to sell a farm that has been in my family for generations but with this economic crash with the batflu, I may be forced to.
edit on 24-4-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

You've never had to soak beans overnight?

Huh.
Growing up, that was the ONLY way to make good bean soup.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Agreed a hot mess of moving pieces on the table.

What got my back up was being issued the "travel papers" , it tilted me much more towards to a harder look at Gates an his ilk pushing thru things that aren't in our best interest.

Closing of the schools for the rest of the year was another.
Back in the day the first switch to dropping difficult curriculum (like latin ) produced the next generation of dumbing down with open classrooms, new math,an frivolous electives. I think we're probably seeing another generations meager education being sabotaged. It's harder to control people who are able to think than can't, so very worrisome.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Why would you be forced too, it the towers are paying the taxes?

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
You bet we are. TPTB are gonna eat. They don't care if your wife and kids do ... or not.

I guess Planned Parenthood wasn't such a bad idea after all, huh? Yeah. I know. That's about the least popular thing anyone could say on here. Sometimes the truth hurts.

edit on 24-4-2020 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom

Why would you be forced too, it the towers are paying the taxes?

I want to retire someday and will need the money. If the farm can't show a profit, I'm SOL. And I don't want to live on those Texas South plains where the wind never stops.
edit on 24-4-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Oh these were soaked!
Just bad old stock being still sold. Purchased from 3 different stores an altho it's probably a local thing, ALL the stock was crap. Barely fit to pawn off on the deer. When you soak for 48 hrs changing water an use a pressure cooker?
Problem may not be you....?

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 12:00 PM
link   

If this pandemic has taught us one thing it is that a lot of people don't know Jack about
growing (or catching) their own food.

I grew up in a somewhat agricultural family background. I also garden as a hobby. I have a deep love, maybe obsession with it.

Some of the things I'm seeing from friends, and from others on social media is disturbing.

There has been a rush to buy herbs. If all the food stops tomorrow, good luck feeding your family with all the cilantro seeds you planted in one small pot.

I know beans, potatoes, and squash isn't sexy, but that's really what people should be learning to grow right now.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 12:03 PM
link   

At least the cotton crop was good!!

I just got some long strand heirloom cotton seeds. One crop I've never grown, any tips?

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

At least the cotton crop was good!!

I just got some long strand heirloom cotton seeds. One crop I've never grown, any tips?

Commercial cotton farming is mostly dictated by Monsanto and their round up ready seeds and fertilizer.

Ask them. I only lived on that farm as a kid. I ran away and left Texas to Go to UCLA. Needless to say, I'm not a farmer but I do like to watch my GF cut asparagus on her back half of our Acre in New Mexico. It's all she grows and a few weeds.

Her asparagus was sold to the more yuppie mom and pop restaurants and our local village farmers mkt. I guess that's over now along with my small shop and other small businesses in our little touristy village. And I don't expect to see many tourist out exploring the beautiful hiways and byways of the Land of Enchantment.

edit on 24-4-2020 by olaru12 because: syntax repair

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 12:43 PM
link   

IMO..it's all about having a piece of paper or a phone ap and a time window when you will be allowed to purchase your supplies.

Lifting a lockdown is a load of cr*p, they haven't finished the complete control thing by any means.

Conform conform, conform.

Work for big brother or starve as a useless entity.

EAT THE RICH!

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

Interesting.. thanks for sharing

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
If this pandemic has taught us one thing it is that a lot of people don't know Jack about growing (or catching) their own food.

Tell me about it ... you don't just turn a field into farmland in a day with a rototiller. And, you don't throw magic beans on the ground and wake to a stalk reaching up into the sky the next day. You miss the planting season and all the hand-wringing in the world's not gonna produce a harvest.

I doubt even the best of preppers would be able to get crops to grow if SHTF. It takes time for a calf to mature. You don't want pigs running loose on your property. You've got to know that you keep your male and female goats separated for a reason.

Drive through fly-over country. Look at how few people there are feeding a large percentage of the world. Then realize the precarious nature of our civilization. You can't hardly fix your own tractor and need a satellite link to keep the thing on course. Yet here we sit, watching government guys who are only good at bean counting, 'fix' what's going to make it to the shelves in our grocery stores.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Compared to other days an ages, there is plenty of food, just too many early birds an not enough fat cats to make sure every bird gets a worm.

There is plenty of toilet paper, thank the heavens for that, even though I was dangerously close to having stains of pure concentrated evil on my hands.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Don't quite get the milk surplus myself -- but the industrial meat packing plants (ugh) are germ factories even at their best. The owners didn't provide any added protections for their employees (blaming it on 'culture') and insisted they come in. Of course many got sick. And there are any scabs to replace the fallen. Most people don't want to get sick but need to work so it is incumbent on management to protect the health of their workers on site.

Oh - that's right - the sociopath in the White House has suspended enforcement of regulations - it's the wild wild west - do whatever you want to the planet and people just keep the money rolling in.

You could have had your bacon, if the owner's gave a s**t about you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join