It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook the new arm of the state

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Hmm.. but the list of questions concerning this virus still does not give us reason to believe that it is 100% safe to return to normal.

I mean for one, the CDC is a u.s. organization. Many other countries are dealing with severe virus outbreaks and also doing lockdowns.

I understand the list of oddities, but what reason would many countrys across the world have to completely exaggerate the danger of covid 19?

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 03:02 PM
link   
No

If it’s on mainstream media (especially cNn) then it’s probably false

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: American-philosopher
a reply to: chr0naut

This is a great free spech discussion to have. A flat earther has the right to say the earth is flat right? they have a right to believe that right?

Does that make it true?

Does that somehow make what is posted on Facebork a reliable measure of public opinion?

I.e: not everyone responds to a post or reposts it. Those that do respond may simply be a vocal minority.

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 03:04 PM
link   

When I see a Facebork post that seems like it may be true, and that sparks my interest, I go and check it out. Invariably, I find it is false, or sometimes a half truth, but usually substantially false.

Okay I agree with that . thats what you are supposed to do. check it out, use critical thinking skills and determine for yourself is this true is this false , should I pay any attention to this. WHy do you need a thrid party parent to come in and say this isnt truthful they will be erased.

edit on 20-4-2020 by American-philosopher because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

Ahh well they are in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. Facebook has been severely criticized for not doing enough against misinformation in the media. Facebook has also been accused of privacy violations and free speech bias.

Whatever side they choose, they can't completely win. So they are siding with the media who have criticized FB for misinformation before.

Smart choice on their part. Facebook, google, and other social media corporations don't have morals. It's all about the $$$ with perhaps the rare person in the company who tries to do good.

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 03:07 PM
link   

someone who is lieing or speading false ,misinformation should be challenged with the truth on that platform by other users and say no this is the information and this is what is going on. (kind of like this platform right?)

Most people click a like icon, make an unrelated joke, or re-post without comment.

Few can you respond to a nuanced lie, with creditable supportive links and reasoned argument, in the limited space available. If the response is too long or complex, it will get ignored anyway.

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 03:07 PM
link   
A third party is needed to ‘tell’ users what is and is not ‘truth’ so the agenda can be maintained

Mainstream media has lost control of the thought processes of the population so now we have the predictable movement towards restricting ALL private forms of information sharing

And what a surprise, it’s being defended by government shills.

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 03:10 PM
link   

You answered a question with a question but thats okay. um what I am getting at is do they have a right to post the earth is flat? Just like someone who says pinneapples belong on pizza. or whatever the case may be. It comes down to free speech.

It's up to users to surround the person who is saying an inaccurate statement with truthfull information. Not to censor or silence someone.

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Breakthestreak
“Damn facebook, we should have state sponsored television shows (with ZERO controls over what is ‘truth’) and nothing else. That way, cNn would still be in control and we wouldn’t have had Brexit”

Ha ha haaa. Exposed.

Your head of state has repeatedly called CNN fake news. You seem confused as to whom the state sponsored media would be.

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 03:20 PM
link   

When I see a Facebork post that seems like it may be true, and that sparks my interest, I go and check it out. Invariably, I find it is false, or sometimes a half truth, but usually substantially false.

Okay I agree with that . thats what you are supposed to do. check it out, use critical thinking skills and determine for yourself is this true is this false , should I pay any attention to this. WHy do you need a thrid party parent to come in and say this isnt truthful they will be erased.

You don't if you treat Facebork as an unreliable platform. Ditto for other social media.

Unfortunately, it appears that few can bypass an emotional appeal.

An upsetting lie gets promoted up the number of likes and reposted a lot. That is how Facebork and Twitidentifier work.

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Or what’s about posting subjective truths?

Say for example I posted “President Trump is doing a good job”

A facebook worker can say to themselves “no he’s not, therefore this is false, post removed”

So we’ll have exactly what we don’t want, ‘truth’ being dictated by the skewed opinions of extreme leftist youths working at facebook.

Or is there an actual balanced committee being proposed?

Or if the ‘truth’ just so happens to be viewed as ‘offensive’ to said facebook worker (like the TRUTHS posted about the EU, the UN etc) .
Is it allowed to be shared if someone, somewhere, might be offended?

Allowing unfettered lies and truths and just plain whatever you want to post is the best and most free way to spread information.

People’s thoughts DONT NEED TO BE GUIDED OR CONTROLLED leftists, it’s perfectly fine for people to think differently than you.

Even if they’re wrong.

It’s ok for people to believe the earth is flat or that the government is deceptive and nefarious. It’s ok to believe that a virus from China IS a Chinese Flu. It’s even ok to believe obvious lies like Orange Man Bad.

We don’t need a globalist pussy like mark zuckerburg to TELL us his opinion of the ‘truth’

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

“Damn facebook, we should have state sponsored television shows (with ZERO controls over what is ‘truth’) and nothing else. That way, cNn would still be in control and we wouldn’t have had Brexit”

Ha ha haaa. Exposed.

Your head of state has repeatedly called CNN fake news. You seem confused as to whom the state sponsored media would be.

And he is correct

More lies and falsehoods come out of cNn than facebook
edit on 20 4 2020 by Breakthestreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Ha ha haaa. Exposed.

Well (according to YOU) it would be hilary Clinton because President Trump only won because of facebook

(Deluded mindset that is)

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 03:25 PM
link   

You answered a question with a question but thats okay. um what I am getting at is do they have a right to post the earth is flat? Just like someone who says pinneapples belong on pizza. or whatever the case may be. It comes down to free speech.

It's up to users to surround the person who is saying an inaccurate statement with truthfull information. Not to censor or silence someone.

Yes. And also to take what is posted there, with a grain of salt even if they cannot determine the truth or falsenses of a post.

It isn't an appropriate way to use social media, to assume it reflects public opinion or valid factual news.

It is a great place for one liners... and cute kitten video's.

edit on 20/4/2020 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I bet t my own life, and the lives of my children, that this push to ‘only allow truth’ on social media platforms only goes one way.

Posting lies and falsehoods, libel, slander and harmful untruths will be openly supported and absolutely allowed, as long as it furthers the agenda

Which is what this whole thing is really about. The agenda has been disrupted.

Thanks Zuckerberg, but no thanks. We’d be safer getting our medical exams performed by Dr Huxtable.

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhyllidaDavenport
a reply to: putnam6

And yet people are still dying by the thousands....

Anyone would think people never died until the virus came along did they?

Died OF or died WITH?

A good friend of mine hung herself on friday night...was it the virus?

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 03:45 PM
link   
The "operation gridlock" and all these other protests could technically be considered "harmful misinformation" in the sense that the Facebook groups largely responsible for organizing these events are being heavily funded by groups tied to the DeVos family and, most likely, the Koch brothers. What's also interesting is that several of the "reopen__" domain names that these facebook groups link to seem to be registered to the same Florida address

This is, in my opinion, a state's rights issue. Michigan's business is Michigan's business and the issues there are between Michiganders and their state government. Same goes for any other state having these events. However, these protests are largely being organized and funded by national right-wing interest groups with no direct ties to the state the protests are occurring in. That doesn't sit well with me. Operation Gridlock is being heavily astroturfed to make it look like it has more local support than it actually does. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if some of the attendees are paid actors from out of state.

In that sense, I suppose I agree with Zuckerberg. Does that mean Facebook should be able to decide what is and isn't misinformation? Hmmmm....

edit on 20-4-2020 by bigsnowman because: fix typo

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Actually it's a bit more virulent than the Spanish Flu. Spanish Flu had a average R0 of 1.8 while Covid 19 has a average R0 of 2.2. You can see the range on the chart. Covid 19 is twice as easy to catch. Or rather the amount of people that a person with Covid 19 can infect is 2-5 people vs 2-3 people with Spanish Flu.

en.wikipedia.org...

And while yes, we have better medical now. The issue is if too many people get infected and the medical system is overwhelmed. Doctors will have to do triage and basically choose who will get treated and who will not get treated. For example if 100K people get sick and need ventilators and there's only 50K ventilators in a state. There's a problem.
edit on 20-4-2020 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 03:48 PM
link   
If Facebook gets to decide what's true or false, they might as well make it official.

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux

People may die every day, but, they don't often pass it to thousands of others and overwhelm medical staff, and let's just try and remember that the people around the world currently dying are ON TOP OF the normal death figures. Its not just medical staff that are overwhelmed and overworked, its mortuary staff, funeral directors, crematoria and even coffin makers and grave diggers. This doesn't happen with normal daily death rates.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join