It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Imagine 25% sales tax

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2020 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Where is all this money coming from that the next stimulus check will deliver.

Seriously.

In California you pay 25% sales tax purchasing recreational use marijuana.

10% of it is a “adult use” tax.

Legal shops have to sale there product at a high cost already because they pay so much just to be in operation.

Imagine all business now having to re structure to improvise for corona virus and these high cost to establish.

Cost of goods purchased will likely inflate highly for this reason.

On top of merchandise being so high imagine the government places a nice hefty tax like 25% to recover money loss from the corona virus debt?

I mean the feds have agreed to purchase a unlimited amount of American debt so I can only wonder what this will look like in 5-10 years.

#

posted on Apr, 18 2020 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: youngjoshua2020

Illinois has high sales tax too. The problem is that it is federally illegal. States won't have such high sales tax if other states have lower costs.

Problem is all these old politicians who still believe in the phony war on drugs.

In regards to recovering the stimulus check; does it seem like politicians want a balanced budget? We're trillions in debt and growing. Politicians just want to spend so they can look good while subtly limiting your rights.

posted on Apr, 18 2020 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Only solution is flat tax But flat tax would mean Millions of jobs less government employs after all how many people would it take with a flat tax to do the paperwork lol .

posted on Apr, 18 2020 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: midnightstar
Only solution is flat tax But flat tax would mean Millions of jobs less government employs after all how many people would it take with a flat tax to do the paperwork lol .

A flat tax would mean higher taxes on All items, instead of just “non-essential” items like marijuana (I know some feel that marijuana, for medicinal use is absolutely “essential”. But until the federal government concurs and begins to cover it, or allow it to be covered as a legally prescribed drug, it isn’t).

posted on Apr, 18 2020 @ 01:51 PM
link   
It wouldn't be that bad but people in the US are very dumb and constantly vote for new taxes. The taxes rarely go to what the tax was intended for and the revenue is always mismanaged with a good slathering of corruption. Taxes are constantly raised but the sea of red gets deeper and deeper.

Flat tax is not possible due to entire industries being fused to the tax laws. Tax lawyers, charities, refund check seasonal businesses, tax college courses, IRS, farming...

Only way to somewhat fix it is let taxpayers decided for themselves where they want their non essential tax dollars to go. Give a list of say 50-100. Let people choose for themselves. If one values additional police funding put it there. If one values the clown house for wayward girls put it there. The system would work out a lot better because the people could start defunding things that had a bad reputation and prop things up more that are effective.

posted on Apr, 18 2020 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I went out to eat a while back and my dinner for 4 people was around 360 bucks in a high end steak house. On my bill was a 3% health care surcharge... It kind of pissed me off as my service wasn't really all that good either. We brought our own wine and they charged us 25 bucks to drink it there, while we also bought about 6 drinks too. We had our first round of drinks almost done when the waitress came by and finally got us glasses and opened the wine. With a bill that high most restaurants will wave the bottle charge, but in this case we not only paid that but also 10 bucks for their health insurance. I think in the end we gave 10% tip based on service and added expenses that they didn't need to add, so you can get 20% tip for good service and no fluff or 10% as in this case.

If people start dumping more taxes on then there are two options, less tip or we just go to the butcher and get some nice 2 inch prime for about 1/4 the cost of eating at the restaurant.
edit on 18-4-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2020 @ 02:43 PM
link   

European countries pay a vat tax to fund all of their free stuff. Plus higher income taxes...

Free stuff ain't cheap.

posted on Apr, 18 2020 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

On my bill was a 3% health care surcharge... It kind of pissed me off as my service wasn't really all that good either.

What kind of crappy employer would make a customer wonder if their food server was worthy of health care! What a putz employer! Thing is, the food server is probably part time and doesn't even get health care. Your probably paying for the cooks health care.

Imagine if you went to Home Depot or Target and got charged a 3% surcharge for the "cashiers" health care and they hardly even smiled at you! LOL

edit on 18-4-2020 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2020 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets
It wouldn't be that bad but people in the US are very dumb and constantly vote for new taxes. The taxes rarely go to what the tax was intended for and the revenue is always mismanaged with a good slathering of corruption. Taxes are constantly raised but the sea of red gets deeper and deeper.

Flat tax is not possible due to entire industries being fused to the tax laws. Tax lawyers, charities, refund check seasonal businesses, tax college courses, IRS, farming...

Only way to somewhat fix it is let taxpayers decided for themselves where they want their non essential tax dollars to go. Give a list of say 50-100. Let people choose for themselves. If one values additional police funding put it there. If one values the clown house for wayward girls put it there. The system would work out a lot better because the people could start defunding things that had a bad reputation and prop things up more that are effective.

This is going to sound confrontational as hell, but we have already destroyed thousands of businesses with this shutdown, but I got to worry about some tax lawyer or professor losing his job due to conversion to a flat tax? So have a transitional period for certain businesses or industries. I know my business which has been around since the 70's even in good years takes till late May just to pay taxes. We need tax reform and since everything else is in the #ter might as well try new tax solution Flat Tax, Consumption Tax, Sales Tax only whatever cause the old models aren't going to fly in this crushed economy. IRS is one of the most bloated and inefficient government departments there is, seriously with all this upheaval time for some bold changes for the "new" normal economy, it can't be just throwing money at it by itself.

posted on Apr, 18 2020 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Where is all this money coming from that the next stimulus check will deliver.

The same place all our money comes from. They’re printing it out of thin air.

Me myself, I can’t wait for $10 loaves of bread.

posted on Apr, 18 2020 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

Imagine if you went to Home Depot or Target and got charged a 3% surcharge for the "cashiers" health care and they hardly even smiled at you! LOL

Do you feel Home depot should put a 3% surge charge on all transactions for employee healthcare costs? I guess my point is why should I pay for any of it as a customer. In the case of the server it will just take dollars out of their pockets as people pay less tip as they see up charging and surcharging as all part of that extended cost that includes tips.

posted on Apr, 18 2020 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Do you feel Home depot should put a 3% surge charge on all transactions for employee healthcare costs?

I think payroll and payroll related costs should be included in price, either on the label or on the menu.

I think it's a putzy employer that refuses to do that and make their clients wonder if their server deserves payroll benefits, because a 3% surcharge was added to their bill, instead of being factored into the menu price.

new topics

top topics

join