It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Had my first case of sleep paralysis

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Hello all,
So, yeah, I had my first case of sleep paralysis this morning. It was probably one of the scariest things that has ever happened to me. And I don't really understand. I'm 40, and I've never had any kind of sleep abnormalities, other than a difficult time sleeping, in general.

So, I woke up, I couldn't move, I tried to say help, to my sleeping wife, but it was only gasps. I didn't see or hear anything strange, though it felt like something very heavy was sitting on my chest.

It felt like it took forever to come out of it, but thankfully, I finally did. Though, now, I can't seem to stop thinking about it. It's a strange feeling. I can't really describe it. Hopefully it doesn't become a common thing, because, frig.

I've researched a little bit, and they say stress and lack of sleep can be a trigger, but, I've always been a stressed non-sleeper, so nothing new there. It's funny though, because I never really believed in the phenomenon, or just assumed it was misunderstood nightmares. But, wow, was I ever wrong.

Anyway, that's it. I'm dreading bedtime now, I guess.
Lol.

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Jefferton

I feel for you. I've had infrequent episodes. Many of which I've tried to call out to my spouse sleeping next to me. I think it's more like a moan or a growl that escapes my mouth. Speaking with her afterwards she maintains she heard nothing. Always sound asleep.

I feel that all I need is a good jolt to snap me out of it as I try hard to move but can't even flinch a finger. It's like I'm awake but totally paralyzed. I will myself to go back to sleep which seems to overcome the episode. Being able to think like this while the paralysis is happening makes me wonder if it is an actual affliction while conscious.

Hope you never get it again.

My thoughts,

Bally

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: bally001
Thanks

It is haunting me, for some reason. The awareness, and inability to move or call out. Yikes. I've never experienced anything like it.

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I never had a problem with sleep paralysis till after I turned 40. Now, at 55, I haven't had an episode in several years. Like you, I'm a non sleeper. Roughly 4 - 5 hours a night is normal for me and has been that way since my 20s. Stress can/does play a role, along with some medicines. I was om narcotics for pain and it seemed to make it much worse, but since stopping those I not only feel better, I get more restful sleep. Not more hours, just more restful.
Maybe this Covid thing is stressing you out more than you think.
Good luck with it. Being locked in your own body is scary as hell.

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 08:03 AM
link   

I know how you felt. It's akin to waking up buried. Hence I hope you don't ever get the feeling again.

My regards,

Bally

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64
I've been wondering if the extra stress from the Covid thing is a factor. Very possibly, since it's been WAY more than my usual.

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 08:05 AM
link   

What will be even more interesting is if your wife never had it nor heard of it before, and then suddenly she starts to experience it.
That's what happened with my wife.
She never heard of SP before meeting me.
Then one night we had it at the same time.
I made a post about it on here actually.

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Getting older has the amazing side effect to put ones mortality in perspective...

It also makes you think things you would have never believed you were capable of...

Like, where did that hair come from?
Or, why does that hurt?

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82

What will be even more interesting is if your wife never had it nor heard of it before, and then suddenly she starts to experience it.

She actually used to, quite frequently when she was younger. Only once or twice in the 15 years we've been together. Though, I now feel pretty guilty I didn't take it that seriously when it happened. But I honestly had no idea how awful it was.

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Getting older has the amazing side effect to put ones mortality in perspective...

It also makes you think things you would have never believed you were capable of...

Like, where did that hair come from?
Or, why does that hurt?

Well said.

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 08:26 AM
link   

I've had many of these...but mostly when I was a kid.
Some can be very frightening and strange...but I wouldn't worry about them happening every night.

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Some can be very frightening and strange...but I wouldn't worry about them happening every night.

That's just the type of person I am, lol. I over-think and worry, way too much.

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82

Now that is interesting. Would you please post a link to that thread?

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton

The ones with the little alien dudes wearing hoods around your bed were the worst for me.

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 08:55 AM
link   

The ones with the little alien dudes wearing hoods around your bed were the worst for me.

I don't want that one..

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 09:12 AM
link   

The mind can play incredible tricks on the body when we wake.

If it happens again, roll with it, relax, and remember that you are in complete control of everything except the little moment that connects the conscious to the subconscious.

I went to bed once with something in my eye and was stupid not to make sure it was removed. Woke up and was convinced I had gone blind.

My mind said my eyes were open (as normal) but my body took control and kept them shut. Scary as hell for an 8 year old.

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I actually really enjoy it, and last time I fought and fought till it lead to an out of body experience. Since then, I've really wanted it to happen again, but it just doesn't.

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 09:14 AM
link   

I don't want that one..

Ewoks are cute and cuddly though.

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: nerbot
I can't see myself rolling with those. I instantly went into panic mode. But, I guess that was just because I hadn't experienced it before. I'll have to wait and see, if it happens again.

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 10:07 AM
link   

With a tea from a certain plant I can reliably give myself sleep paralysis any time I want. The strange vibration you feel is just the beginning stage of something a lot weirder. If you do it enough you can leave your body and walk around. Sometimes there’s other entities around you, sometimes there isn’t.

It feels like walking under water, and any clocks or writing looks like incomprehensible gibberish. The coolest part is that the atmosphere around you has a physical quality to it. You can see reality itself bending around the corner into the room and going out the window. It’s hard at first but eventually you get to where you can move around pretty good.

I assume that’s what being dead is like.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join