It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Millennials Now a Lost Generation?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: cognizant420
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Well, all I know is if the millenials dont get it together then generation z. Both are part of the entitlement generation aren't they?

When the boomers are gone that puts generation x running the show, they where the screw you generation right? So if millennials do t get it together the z gen is screwed.

No one knows jack about us Xers because no one cares about us. If any generation is forgotten, it's us.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Just a temporary bump in the road of life . A year from now people will be getting rich talking about how the survived and prospered.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: burdman30ott6

And I'm sure you'll be there to tell them how you were easily able to make something of yourself during the most prosperous time in US history. So why can't they do the same thing after two of the worst economic collapses in US history and the worst pandemic in over 100 years?

Uhm, I'm a millenial by some measures, very late Gen X by others. Entered to workforce during the dot com recession, 911, had a newborn when 2008 hit... yeah, you either make it work or you dont. I made mine during much less than prosperous times, hombre.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

And I'm sure you'll be there to tell them how you were easily able to make something of yourself during the most prosperous time in US history. So why can't they do the same thing after two of the worst economic collapses in US history and the worst pandemic in over 100 years?

Uhm, I'm a millenial by some measures, very late Gen X by others. Entered to workforce during the dot com recession, 911, had a newborn when 2008 hit... yeah, you either make it work or you dont. I made mine during much less than prosperous times, hombre.

Truthfully, no one has a smooth ride in life.

They whine about millennials losing everything, but it's not like it's been a cakewalk for other generations. Xers went through Dotcom, housing crash and now we're doing this one.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I'm going to ignore all the entitled and participation trophy comments. They're ignorant comments.

I graduated high school in 2008. We were told good luck.

I didn't go to college. I attempted repeatedly to enter a trades job.

Tried being a cook and that never panned out, because every restaurant I got hired by ended up closing.

Went into warehouse/factory work, and laid off repeatedly.

Went into carpentry/construction/electrical/roofing/painting... repeated lay offs.

Joined the Navy for a stable paycheck and benefits in 2012. Got to get out a year early with an honorable discharge in 2017.

Found out it was easier to get a job and keep it than before, but that the pay and benefits were crap. No one wanted to pay more than a few dollars above minimum wage. Found out that emoloyers were hiring people with no experience promising to train them, but that there was no training. They would rather just fire a person and hire another person.

So, I found that I was constantly having to work under "senior technicians" who really didn't know what they were doing, but really good at BS-ing their way through things, and blaming junior technicians. While they would just call a contractor to do the work for them.

So, I became a contractor, but that was a headache in itself. Always traveling, never having a life. Working with the same idiots who had to call a contractor to fix their problems for them. Instructing them on proper procedures. What to do, and what not to do. Just to find out that most of them time they would screw it up the next day after I left.

Now, at thirty I'm entertaining the idea of going to school just to use my GI Bills, and grants I'm eligible for. I'm working towards being my own boss. I'm glad I haven't done it yet, and seeing what the next few years look like.

We're not all hopeless, and most of the time I see people complain that "Millennials" are entitled and whatever crap it's from Baby Boomers and Gen X-rs who think Millennials somehow magically got dropped off by the stork and weren't raised by the very same Baby Boomers and Gen X-rs.

The older generations had their hand in it with all the hippy crap, and "but the children" junk.

I've had no handouts, no one coddled me, and I've never received a participation trophy. I know I'm not the only one.

We were born into this mess caused by older generations, and yet we receive the blame for it.

We're going to be the ones the older generation relies on to take care of them when they are advanced in age and require assistance. Deal with it.

Yeah, we got the crap end of the stick, but most of us aren't sitting around complaining about it doing nothing. We're doing the best we can, and working with what we got. Even if it means compromising on what's ideal. Most of the people I know who could be labelled as a Millenial has pretty much accepted that we'll probably be working until the day we die.

It is what it is.
edit on 1732020 by AutomateThis1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: Bhadhidar
When the virus kills off all the old “Boomers”, the millennials will inherit their wealth.

Of course, they’ll hopefully take care of their Gen-X parents.

I'm a boomer and my kids are Gen Z...

Millennials are more of the participation trophy generation, so I think they were screwed from the start....The world is just to hard for them...

Incorrect. I'm a millennial and own my home with a hummer and a neon and two kids. I've also grown to hate libtards, whiny bitches, and democrats. I'm also white and had to pay the rent because my mom was jobless when I was 17 to 19. I've been waiting a long time for my white privilege to kick in but it seems men that pretend to have ovaries get all the privilege.
edit on fTuesdayAmerica/Chicago2505699 by Flesh699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flesh699

Incorrect. I'm a millennial and own my home with a hummer and a neon and two kids. I've also grown to hate libtards, whiny bitches, and democrats. I'm also white and had to pay the rent because my mom was jobless when I was 17 to 19. I've been waiting a long time for my white privilege to kick in but it seems men that pretend to have ovaries get all the privilege.

I didn't say 100%..maybe 95%

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Same here, 38, so technically a millennial. Didn't really start taking things seriously until around 2006 or so, mostly did call center work and restaurants. Got into tech support in 06 and then when 08 happened I saw my colleagues all screwing around on Netflix or playing games as the company I worked for had nothing blocked. I picked up a certification book, then another, and then another. I started my BS, finished it, started my MS, finished it, started my MBA, finished it. All while collecting technical certifications. Since 08 I've had my salary increase by roughly 615%, I have insane benefits, stock (which is not doing well), quarterly bonuses, etc.

All of this in a field that even during this situation I'm still getting contacted by recruiters on LinkedIn as there is a major shortage of people to fill the type of roles I'm in. Until it's full on Mad Max mode, busting your butt to get it done better than anyone else is still the ticket to having a good life. Once all this blows over and the markets recover I'm still on time for early retirement, with no bills aside from property taxes. Ya know what? I have colleagues that are 10 years younger than I am, from all socioeconomic, and ethnic backgrounds doing the same thing, so it's not a one off, or luck or anything like that.

Get over the whole generation thing and bust your butt, period.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flesh699

Respect.......

Shows what can be achieved when one stops envying, constantly complaining,

looking to see where the grass is greener, and puts ones nose to the grindstone

and actually gets something done.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

When the virus kills off all the old “Boomers”, the millennials will inherit their wealth.

Gen-X will inherit the wealth...

That’s IF, your parents have any wealth to disperse. Many do not.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 03:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Gen-X will inherit the wealth...

That’s IF, your parents have any wealth to disperse. Many do not.

Well their going to be very disappointed if they don't ......... As they firmly

believe that every generation except theirs had it easy.

Their upbringing has made them feel entitled.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

So I have to ask, at this point, what hope do Millennials actually have?

Guillotines and eating the rich are about it at this point.

There is the situation that Millennials seem to be particularly well suited to suffering (loudly) through a life-long commitment to the State (of social media) and continuing the cycle of consumerism and debt slavery unwittingly in support of either: a. TPTB or b. NWO

ganjoa

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Right now, the older generations hold all the wealth. Something had to give at some point.
The biggest danger right now is the economy, more so than the virus. However, for those who can survive that, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I believe the markets will continue collapsing, inheritances will be passed on and the housing bubbles will burst. We are entering a recession and a great depression but this is also a reset on the monopoly board.

As a Millennial, I see more opportunities coming from this than doom and gloom. I think the world as a whole is in for a rough ride and I suspect a NWO / possible one-world government / universal currency will emerge from all this.

However, if we play our cards right, we could come out of this on top, assuming we have been tucking away a few cards here and there to have a hand in the game.

This game is twenty percent luck
Thirty percent skill
Forty percent concentrated power of will
Five percent pleasure
Five percent pain
And a hundred percent reason to double down, not blame
edit on 18-3-2020 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 11:10 PM
link   

I have to eat my words, I'm not good at doing that but it must be said..

As of now I'm no longer going in to work, the people that can are working from home and the company is paying all employees up until April 24th. Not sure when I'll be going back and/or their plans if the time frame goes further into the future.

Scared now? Yes I am.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 11:17 PM
link   
You need to constantly refine that resume throughout life, someone with a multitude of skills across different avenues will have more opportunities than a decade of doing the same job.

people that were afraid, or not good enough to make those transitions are going to suffer those that did will hit the bump in the road and press on.

Its cold hearted but based in reality, the days of working 1 job till retirement are dead and gone you must be ready to adjust to a rapidly changing job market or you will be unemployed.

I face planted so many times over my 47 years I am surprised I can still breath through my nose (outside of spring time in the south then I am a strict mouth breather, darn you allergies), it sucks, its risky but its the way of things now.

heck I am pushing 50 and about to leave aircraft maintenance and start over in IT, I am more scared of that than deploying to a war zone, how messed up is that... yea yea I know not a millennial I am a Gen X but the principal is the same.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 11:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: byteshertz
However, if we play our cards right, we could come out of this on top, assuming we have been tucking away a few cards here and there to have a hand in the game.

I fervently agree with this!

I do think millenials might be something of a "lost generation," but I think the age range is about 20-40, very roughly.

Its kind of surrounding the time of the advent of the internet, and I think each little age range in that 20-40 has their own little attributes. The internet started out as a relative "wild west," and then was slowly consumed by corporate interests, dopamine hits, and.. ad revenue.

I do think that people in that age range, which includes myself, have some.. Very Unique Issues.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

I'm sure we'll hear all about it 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, straight from them, too.

SOOooo, I have boomers working for me... They want extra sick leave because you know they might get sick...lol. The fact we are paying them a wage as they sit at home, boy I guess that is expected...

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: byteshertz

Right now, the older generations hold all the wealth. Something had to give at some point.
The biggest danger right now is the economy, more so than the virus. However, for those who can survive that, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I believe the markets will continue collapsing, inheritances will be passed on and the housing bubbles will burst. We are entering a recession and a great depression but this is also a reset on the monopoly board.

As a Millennial, I see more opportunities coming from this than doom and gloom. I think the world as a whole is in for a rough ride and I suspect a NWO / possible one-world government / universal currency will emerge from all this.

This game is twenty percent luck
Thirty percent skill
Forty percent concentrated power of will
Five percent pleasure
Five percent pain
And a hundred percent reason to double down, not blame

So what do you call a honest day work for a honest day of pay? Who are those who hold all the wealth you are entitled to?

You see that ugly word entitlement come up?

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 11:42 PM
link   

The Millennials were originally set to enter the job force at the same time the economy was collapsing. It took many of them years to finally fight their way into gainful employment.

Fast forward 12 years and the economy is once again collapsing. Entire industries are falling apart and mass layoffs are occurring. Millennials are again the ones bearing the brunt of all of this.

So I have to ask, at this point, what hope do Millennials actually have? They've been screwed over by a failing economy twice. When hiring does start up again companies will be more likely to hire recent grads who they can pay less.

Where does that leave Millennials at this point? The way it looks to me is that they have no hope of achieving what their parents did. The odds of them ever being able to retire looks low. And after this current crisis I can't imagine many of them are going to be planning on having kids or owning property.

Millennials are definitely looking like they're going to be a lost generation.

How about the boomers who are dying versus losing their jobs.

Im not a boomer or Millennial but one thing i have observed during this epidemic is how self observerved Millennials can be to the point they want boomers to die so they can buy their house.[
edit on 23331America/ChicagoSat, 21 Mar 2020 00:23:47 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join