It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Millennials Now a Lost Generation?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 03:10 PM
link   
The Millennials were originally set to enter the job force at the same time the economy was collapsing. It took many of them years to finally fight their way into gainful employment.

Fast forward 12 years and the economy is once again collapsing. Entire industries are falling apart and mass layoffs are occurring. Millennials are again the ones bearing the brunt of all of this.

So I have to ask, at this point, what hope do Millennials actually have? They've been screwed over by a failing economy twice. When hiring does start up again companies will be more likely to hire recent grads who they can pay less.

Where does that leave Millennials at this point? The way it looks to me is that they have no hope of achieving what their parents did. The odds of them ever being able to retire looks low. And after this current crisis I can't imagine many of them are going to be planning on having kids or owning property.

Millennials are definitely looking like they're going to be a lost generation.

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254
Well, if they aren't scared to do physical work?
MI in short supply of trade workers. Plumbers, laborers, ect.
The pay starts out ok, but can be really dang good.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Well, all I know is if the millenials dont get it together then generation z. Both are part of the entitlement generation aren't they?

When the boomers are gone that puts generation x running the show, they where the screw you generation right? So if millennials do t get it together the z gen is screwed.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 03:18 PM
link   

I think there is a silver lining to all of this.

I think we will bring back some manufacturing here.
I think people will also want food to be grown here.

If we as as a country don't see our weaknesses from all of this, then there isn't any hope.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 03:21 PM
link   
When the virus kills off all the old “Boomers”, the millennials will inherit their wealth.

Of course, they’ll hopefully take care of their Gen-X parents.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bhadhidar
When the virus kills off all the old “Boomers”, the millennials will inherit their wealth.

Gen-X will inherit the wealth...

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

We are currently in the process of hiring hundreds of employees.. They just have to look for where the jobs are, they won't be making 150,000 a year unless they are really good at what they do but they sure can make enough to make a decent living but they have to want to do it and actually want to be trained.

I was having a rough time with my last job so what did I do? Yaaa I whined a bit about the place then got off my buttox and worked to get a new one. We are still working right now and are in Illinois. The worst state ever lol Trying to make the best of it I guess

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
Well, if they aren't scared to do physical work?
MI in short supply of trade workers. Plumbers, laborers, ect.
The pay starts out ok, but can be really dang good.

There is a shortage of trade workers all over the country. I liked working in the trades.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Last time I checked, training for the trades is about five years. While you do get paid during training, that still means most of the people aren't going to be re-entering the workforce until they're almost 40. Which means they won't be able to retire until they're into their 80s.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
Millennials are definitely looking like they're going to be a lost generation.

I'm sure we'll hear all about it 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, straight from them, too.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: MarlbBlack

This sentiment kind of ignores the past few weeks. The markets are in free fall and companies are getting rid of as many employees as possible.

By every indication this is going to be worse than 2008. It took years for companies to actually start hiring in decent numbers following that. So I can't imagine what it's going to be like this time.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 03:42 PM
link   

I do understand what you are saying, but like I said we are hiring hundreds/are still working as of now/ you just have to look around.. If it means starting over? Trust me I know what being 40 and starting over means. It's rough when there is a scare like right now but with the size of the place and distance between people as of right now they are doing everything in their power to keep the place up and making progress.

Of course it's in the best interest of the companies future but it's also in my best interest they keep the doors open. I just hope Mr. governooor leaves us alone.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 03:42 PM
link   

I'm a boomer and my kids are Gen Z...

Millennials are more of the participation trophy generation, so I think they were screwed from the start....The world is just to hard for them...

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

Last time I checked, training for the trades is about five years. While you do get paid during training, that still means most of the people aren't going to be re-entering the workforce until they're almost 40. Which means they won't be able to retire until they're into their 80s.

My grand daughter completed three years at uni in Sept of last year

She is in her first job as a paramedic (not paid when training) Next

month she gets the keys to her first home, deposit left to her (held

in trust) by her great grandmother.

She stands to inherit from me (her grandmother, and her mother)

No vast sums....... but a tidy little sum our only values being the

homes we worked hard for.

So NO the millennials are not so badly done to.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

Oh you forgot I'm your old arsed adopted son you left behind too.. Gimme da monies!

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 03:59 PM
link   

We "Boomers" won't have anything left for them to inherit, they're on their own.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

And I'm sure you'll be there to tell them how you were easily able to make something of yourself during the most prosperous time in US history. So why can't they do the same thing after two of the worst economic collapses in US history and the worst pandemic in over 100 years?

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 04:03 PM
link   

U2U sent to you X..

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

I'm sure we'll hear all about it 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, straight from them, too.

"The lost generation!"
?SMH

The millennials in my family have already inherited once from my mother,

and will inherit again from me, and then from their mother ....... that is

three sums in their life time probably going to them at 20? year intervals.

Not a bad little number? I only had one legacy and I was well over sixty

when I got it......so I don't know what they have to complain about!!

Her brother by the way got the same as her........blew it.... earns twice

as much as her and hasn't a thing to show for it

edit on 17-3-2020 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 04:38 PM
link   

So I have to ask, at this point, what hope do Millennials actually have?

Guillotines and eating the rich are about it at this point.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join