It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coronavirus will kill up to 8,000 Norwegians new official estimates says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Norway only has 5 million inhabitants, up to 8,000 of which will be killed by the Coronavirus, new official estimates says today.

The Directorate for Social Security and Preparedness (DSB) estimates that up to 8,000 Norwegians could die from a pandemic that causes between 35,000 and 40,000 to be hospitalized.

Source

-MM
edit on 14-3-2020 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: MerkabaMeditation
Norway only has 5 million inhabitants, up to 8,000 of which will be killed by the Coronavirus, new official estimates says today.

The Directorate for Social Security and Preparedness (DSB) estimates that up to 8,000 Norwegians could die from a pandemic that causes between 35,000 and 40,000 to be hospitalized.

Source

-MM

Very curious what information they are using to reach those numbers. Outside of the elderly not many people are dying. Those numbers look like it would require about 30% of the population to be infected.

I am looking and the 2009 flu pandemic they reported half the country would be infected and thousands would die. Ended up being 29 deaths, not the 3,000 they projected.
edit on 14-3-2020 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 08:06 AM
link   
That's ridiculous! Only if this virus is more than a flu would it kill that many people in a small country. I don't know if it's misplaced fear of the individual or just plain fear mongering.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: LogicalGraphitti

They did the same thing with the flu in 2009. Made outrageous claims and were way off the mark.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaMeditation

for the life of me, i can't understand why people want to post info, then post something that's behind a paywall. at least that what it looks like, that part didn't translate. that's just as bad as posting a link that opens a a pdf or other app without warning someone.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 09:23 AM
link   
The Number seems a bit too optimistic to be honest.

According to the WHO ~70 % of the population will get the virus.
The deathrate as so far is ~3,4%. (in Italy it is even over 7%)

Even if Norway would manage to get the deathrate down by a faktor of 3, there still would be 35000 deaths.

But lets hope the best and everything isn`t that bad.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Sanitarium79

.008% of 5 million is 40,000.

Meh

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

You might want to use that calculator again.

0.008% of 5 million is not 40.000.
Not even close.

(btw, whats up with your 0.008% anyway?)

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sanitarium79

You might want to use that calculator again.

0.008% of 5 million is not 40.000.
Not even close.

(btw, whats up with your 0.008% anyway?)

40000 hospitalized.
It's in the op.

So is 5 million population.

.008% of 5 million is 40000.

8 tenths of 1 percent.

X. .008

I see...

0.8% = .008

The mumbers are still right.

edit on 14-3-2020 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-3-2020 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Many Far northern Europeans have strong immune systems and have some autoimmunity problems. Some are on immune system suppressants. This virus can cause some problems from over reaction and not enough reaction in many people from that area. Much of the old moderating ancestral diet in these countries has been abandoned and it really did not help after people got old anyway, our metabolism changes so the diet would have to be changed too, but most people cannot comprehend that. Some of the healthy older people here have altered their diet and they are healthy into their eighties, I have talked to older people quite a bit over the years. Some have been passing down these necessary changes to their kids and relatives for many years. They stay healthy and do not need meds.

It is hard to apply one families dietary needs to another family, and sometimes the kids are even different than the parents. It is important to learn how to moderate your personal immune system or you will pay the price. Some people cannot eat onions, others need them. Norwegeans eat lots of fish, they are high histamine some times, a blessing and a curse depending on circumstances.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Now I see the problem. You used % and absolute numbers wrong.
A common mistake.

There is a huge difference between 0.008% and 0.008 times.
A difference by the factor 100 to be exact.

If you want to express 8 tenths of one 1 percent, the right percent number is 0.8 %.

0.008 times of 5 million is 40.000.
0.008 % of 5 million is 400.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Yeah.. I forgot to move the decimal when I added the percent sign.
My morning coffee hasn't kick in yet.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 10:35 AM
link   

No problem at all. I know how that is before the morning coffee

Im sorry for my harsh response, the whole home quarantine thing, and waiting for test results made me a bit edgy.

Cheers!

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 10:37 AM
link   

No worries..

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 10:52 AM
link   

A leading doctor in Norway said a month ago that a pandemic wasn't possible in Norway.
Now they're calculating with 8.000 deaths.
It just shows that they don't know jack # about this. It can be far worse than that,

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Norway has been quite naive about all this in my opinion.

The problem is that it won't take long for our ICU's to get full once this starts to gain some speed, leading to otherwise preventable deaths due to lack of respirators, etc. The hope is to prolong the pandemic so as to make it something akin to manageable for hospitals and such. Many hospital staff are already in quarantine however. They are advocating for retired medical personnel to step up and help, but seeing as they are mostly old they are pretty exposed in terms of risk factors.

All schools and kindergartens are shut down. A new survey shows that 79% of ALL businesses are contemplating/need to lay off their staff. That's a huge amount. On top of that, the initial economic support package from the government is only a small speck in terms of what is needed to keep things afloat. So, we'll have to see just how serious this gets. I hope we don't reach Italy's current state of chaos at least.

I read about toilet paper shortage and raced to the store just now. Turns out folks around my parts aren't that bothered with stockpiling (luckily).

Edit:
The prime minister just announced that they are closing the borders and shutting down all airports and ports.
edit on 14 3 2020 by Skeletonized because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: XCrycek

They calculated 3,000 deaths in 2009 for the flu that killed 29 in Norway.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 05:38 PM
link   

I dont think so. People of Nordic decent seem to have a very low mortality rate with Coronavirus. Makes me wonder who developed it.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Up to = 1 to 8,000.

It's a marketing technique being weaponized to generate fear and panic. The same thing is happening here in the United States also.

top topics

join