It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Covid-19 the Elderly and the At Risk

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
a reply to: Boadicea

In close quarters like that, would it matter if they actually attended the party?
Probably a rather warm, dry environment, with shared ventilation. Probably not the cleanest place in the world...I think I read the place had been written up in 2019.

I'm remembering the same -- that they had been written up before. And I also read that the Coronavirus was found in a hospital's ventilation system.

It seems there were plenty of ways for it to be transmitted.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 01:50 PM
link   

People keep talking about the fact that the elderly are an at risk group, as are those with certain chronic illness.

So, who are the elderly? Those over 50?
or 60?
or 70?
or 80?
And which at risk illnesses?

Also, who is more at risk, a healthy 70 year old, or an obese teen with diabetes?
A 65 year old healthy man who smokes, or a 75 year old healthy woman?
A 40 year old who works in a coal mine, or a healthy 80 year old?
A 35 year old couch potato, or a 65 year old avid golfer?

Inquiring minds want to know

That couch potato that is spending it's whole day browsing ATS is not at risk due to the lack of social contacts.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Yep ... that'll do it.

That's how Philadelphia got such a severe Spanish Flu outbreak. It went from a few sick army officers at a local hospital where staff and civilians came and went with no special measures to a War Bonds parade with hundreds of thousands in attendance to a massive epidemic in a matter of days after that. It was one of the worst epidemics in the entire nation.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I am 62 nearly 63 but I am active though not athletic at all.
I eat well. Lots of high quality proteins and vegetables.
I've gained a bit of weight since the M word. (Don't want to offend the gentlemen.)
but I'm not obese or even much over weight.
I quit smoking right around the same time, eight years ago now.I

I have never had the flu unless I had it when I was very young because I do not recall ever being seriously ill. Even the mumps or measles didn't bring me down.
I had all of them but was never sick sick if you know what I mean.
For me it was time off from school, coloring books, (my mom's go to comfort move for her kiddies) and jello. The only negative was the itch and being house bound.

So despite my years I feel that I am not at a great risk.

My blood pressure is good and I maintain a regular temp of 97.6.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

The cases in Washington State were all elderly. From a senior care facility to be politically correct.
People are not usually in such a facility if they are in good health so I'd say they were all in the high risk group.

It is very early in the event to know for sure how fast it will spread or what the demographics for severe cases are.

In its second wave the Spanish flu evolved and young healthy people were the primary victims.

I do not know if corona viruses behave like the flu or if they just affect the same systems within the body.
Most of the information about it that is not this recent outbreak talk about it being an animal virus.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: YouAreLiedTo

If supply chains start breaking down then the situation already is critical.

They will be reacting to very real conditions.

Other than that or mass quarantine I don't see a panic situation being created by the news media.

But if either of those situations occurs than there will be real reason to worry.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

The overall mortality rate has risen to 3.4 meaning there are higher and lower numbers in those groups to make that average.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

It's not the flu. It's a complete!y different family of viruses.
Symptoms of infection are similar but they are not the same.

You should also note that though there are human corona viruses they are usually mild to moderate in severity.
This strain is more severe and can cause pneumonia and death.

Trying to put a familiar face on it is just another form of lying if you ask me.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

That's not getting it twice. That's getting it once because it never resolves itself completely when these secondary symptoms set in.
Influenza does that sometimes too. People get mild symptoms then think they are getting better and suddenly are laid low when it really attacks. They didn't get it twice it just progressed more slowly in some people.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Again it's not the sickness that is the worry,for the majority
it's the transmission rate,which is triple that of the flu
when/if hospitals become inundated,regular users will be left to deal with their ailments
exacerbating the situation.
Then there is the dormancy period.
I think what we saw in China was a genuine attempt at at stopping the spread but also a quelling of the uprising that was taking place.
Give it a few more weeks of effect in western nations and those that are calling this a nothing burger may well be right
lets hope so
but could also be very wrong.
I like the optimism but there are still a ton of unknowns,mutation,seasonal effect and aforementioned
edit on 8-3-2020 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I predict that within the coming 2-3 weeks, we will all figure out what the truth is.

Maybe the Chinese were just over reacting, when they sent tanker trucks through the city streets, fumigating everything.

Be sure and aquire some vitamin D3 with K2. We don't get enough sun in winter, and that may be why these illnesses attack with such a fury during winter months

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
I predict that within the coming 2-3 weeks, we will all figure out what the truth is.

Maybe the Chinese were just over reacting, when they sent tanker trucks through the city streets, fumigating everything.

Doesn't feel that way to me. The US just froze military travel to and from Italy and South Korea until May. That's a Long Time if you've already shipped your car and furniture.

The Chinese know what it was they created. Though the specifics are talked about less and less, this is a 3 or 4 part bug (at least). I saw you post that you've had lasting/chronic complications from a previous illness. You know the deal better'n most. I think this first wave of sickness is the gentle phase.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

When I smoked I coughed all the time. The reason I quit was because of the coughing.
I lost my mother to emphysema and heart disease. When smoking started to affect my health I quit.
The cough was gone in a week. No lie. I felt better almost immediately.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouAreLiedTo
Ayyyyye

What's up DToM
Hope all is well.

Which is at risk: At risk from the virus, or the fallout caused by it?

I believe people are over-reacting to the virus itself, in some ways.

I also believe that said over-reaction is what's about to cause the real situation we have to worry about ..

-YALT

In what ways are people overreacting?

I think for the most part people are reacting normally by buying sanitizing wipes, disinfectants, canned goods and water as if they were preparing for a pandemic, you know, just as the Centers for Disease Control asked us all to do.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Apparently, that is not true exactly, it seem like it builds a wall around itself....so you do get well, it just goes dormant....my amateur mind is gonna say like the cold sore virus.....

From initial talks, it acts a lot like TB where the virus would "wall" itself off to protect itself from the body's immune system so it can reinfect again.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

Most aren't yet, imo. The fistfight with ladies over toilet roll was fairly over the top though, and that's just the beginning for people that haven't started prepping early.

I don't expect to see chaos over this, but not preparing for chaos is the fastest way to ensure chaos if it does blow up... If that makes sense. My apologies, written English is notoriously bad for conveying intent...

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Hard to guage it. Look at Italy, very high at about 5% but that takes into consideration most of their population are very old.

Over 60 your immune system isn’t as good, so that puts you at higher risk.

I read a good article last night, lost the link now. It just all depends on if you can keep it out of your lungs.

We won’t know until it’s all over and they look at the studies

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 07:47 PM
link   

a reply to: Sillyolme

Apparently, that is not true exactly, it seem like it builds a wall around itself....so you do get well, it just goes dormant....my amateur mind is gonna say like the cold sore virus.....

From initial talks, it acts a lot like TB where the virus would "wall" itself off to protect itself from the body's immune system so it can reinfect again.

Chase my posts around if you need to ok...its a Pleomorphic Bacteria....and its laying dormant in 90% of the global population...it is the catalyst of what we mistakenly call cancer...and to be frank @ this point in time I will be glad if I survive this thinning to enjoy the improvement in humanities IQ.. because I am so tired of the retards that cannot seem to learn quickly enough...follow MSM and you will have near to no chance of protecting yourself.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kenzo
These are from ourworldindata.org

Case fatality rate of COVID-19 by age
Case fatality rate of COVID-19 by preexisting health conditions
Interesting that with many other infection diseases children are in big risk, but with this COVID-19 they are not , which is great of cource.

Cool.
Usually I don't have an option to reply to you DToM, but I think the above pretty much say's it all.

As for the numbers, I'm screwed.
Which makes me wonder about Phage-e-poo.
He is in the blossoming Eastern State and I haven't read anything from in in a while.

I hope he's ok.

posted on Mar, 8 2020 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Violater1

Well, they are numbers only.
We'll have to see what happens.
Hope for the best.....

And, isn't Phage in the West somewhere?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join