It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USA about to quarentine CA, NYC, Likely others

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 03:31 PM
link   
A quarantine in the US is a given. It will happen. Although Boston is small they did shut it down with martial law in 2013.

Personally I think it is cell phones that will spread this like wildfire. They are germ collectors. People set them down. You set yours down. Same thing with eating fast food or in restaurants. It is something that can be spread fairly easy. We are a disposable society and if you actually watched I bet 30% of the people wash their hands as they should.

Will half the population die that Spanish Flu? No. However there could be enough of a disruption to cause store shelves to not be as stocked as they would be for a few months.

Have home protection. Water and Food for a few weeks just like preparing for a hurricane. We will all be ok.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
There will be more people dying because of the quarantines than because of the COV-19. Many will not be able to get to the store or too the pharmacies to get needed meds and foods. It is necessary to get prepared.

I know people who say they cannot afford to get prepared, it is too expensive and it would interfere with their ability to party too. It would cause them to have to lower their cell phone plan and have restricted data.

You can buy rice, some canned foods, and some noodles and frozen veggies to supply food for two people for a couple of weeks for under fifty bucks....then just rotate it in stock. This pandemic is not going to knock out the water, but you might want to buy a case extra of bottled water if your water sucks and you cannot drink it without almost puking.

Within a month, you could buy some stock each week, and that kind of food will not go to waste, just don't buy foods you will never eat, buy stuff you always eat. We keep taco shells in rotation in our pantry and soft shells in the freezer. I do not want to not have tacos if things go sour, so we got some in reserve. All bought on sale at really good prices instead of going pay full price when you feel like Tacos.

I agree, I was able to stockpile about 2 months of food for 50 dollars. Its not that hard, Ramen noodles, rice, dry beans, canned goods, at Walmart its very cheap. People who are not doing at least some minimal prepping are downright stupid, and stupidity is always rewarded.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s
While anything is possible, I find it difficult to believe a "strict quarantine" will be maintained in the US in most cases. I don't think most of our friends across the pond understand how spread out we are. For example, the city of Los Angeles is 503 mi².
London is 1.12 mi².

That being said, we are also notoriously bad at taking strict directions from the government. This has both up and downsides, obviously, but we have not been conditioned over multiple generations to obey authority without question.

I'm thinking they would need a lot of resources to hold quarantine over anything larger than a neighborhood. Also, to be honest, large-scale quarantine would spook the stock market (even more than it already has been).

Our government would force the Statue of Liberty to turn tricks for extra cash before it would do anything to threaten the stability of the market at that scale.

Cool find though. 37-75k seems low. You'd have to pay me 250k plus to take a job like that.

Sorry to be a pedantic Brit, but London is 607 mi² not 1.1m, I know we are a congested little country but fitting 8.8 million people into 1.1 sq mile would be a challenge.

I agree though, you are a chuffing big country, with guns, not sure how that’s going to pan out.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: TritonTaranis

originally posted by: carewemust
A quarantine would incite mass panic and an "end of the world" scenario, in the affected city. Would make a good movie, but it's not practical.

Its the only thing which will work or the deathtoll will be massive

you have to slow the R0 to bring down the mortality rate

If 80% of the country gets it withing the coming months april - may

Then 15% could become critical care ICU

If theyre not given hospital beds, medicine, ventilators etc, the mortality rate will be massive, this is why we see people dropping down in the streets or being carried out their house or tower block in body bags, they didnt have the capacity, they welded the doors shut after 1/2 cases inside entire tower blocks, they didnt add people who died outside care to the CFR /mortality rate either

Here is someone who gets it. Well said

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: openminded2011

originally posted by: rickymouse
There will be more people dying because of the quarantines than because of the COV-19. Many will not be able to get to the store or too the pharmacies to get needed meds and foods. It is necessary to get prepared.

I know people who say they cannot afford to get prepared, it is too expensive and it would interfere with their ability to party too. It would cause them to have to lower their cell phone plan and have restricted data.

You can buy rice, some canned foods, and some noodles and frozen veggies to supply food for two people for a couple of weeks for under fifty bucks....then just rotate it in stock. This pandemic is not going to knock out the water, but you might want to buy a case extra of bottled water if your water sucks and you cannot drink it without almost puking.

Within a month, you could buy some stock each week, and that kind of food will not go to waste, just don't buy foods you will never eat, buy stuff you always eat. We keep taco shells in rotation in our pantry and soft shells in the freezer. I do not want to not have tacos if things go sour, so we got some in reserve. All bought on sale at really good prices instead of going pay full price when you feel like Tacos.

I agree, I was able to stockpile about 2 months of food for 50 dollars. Its not that hard, Ramen noodles, rice, dry beans, canned goods, at Walmart its very cheap. People who are not doing at least some minimal prepping are downright stupid, and stupidity is always rewarded.

I wouldn't eat that kind of food for two long, it will make you unhealthy if you consume too much of it for too long. Read up on how to properly cook dried beans, they need to be boiled for at least an hour if not soaked, and boiled for fifteen minutes if you soak them for eight hours, after the fifteen minute boil, they can be cooked at a lower simmer.

The Ramen contains chemistry that can cause you harm if you consume it for a long time, but it will keep your electrolytes up cheaply and help supply some energy. Just keep that in mind. Canned green beans are not expensive, but too much too long can also cause health issues, but they will keep you alive and kicking and they are better than eating just ramen and rice.
edit on 9-3-2020 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Otley

Mea Culpa. I googled "City of Los Angeles in sq. miles" and "City of London in sq. miles." I didn't realize the financial district was all my numbers measured.

posted on Mar, 10 2020 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea Heard from usually reliable sources that the virus will not slow down this summer, it will be transmitted via mosquitoes. Keep water buckets upside down in spring rains, buy skeeter eater small fish for ponds. Another way to prep.

Also heard-martial law coming; air travel will start to be curtailed in apx. a month.

60 million in Italy on lockdown.

edit on America/ChicagoamTue, 10 Mar 2020 00:59:47 -050031124712593America/Chicago by EarthShine because: (no reason given)

edit on America/ChicagoamTue, 10 Mar 2020 01:00:27 -050031012701003America/Chicago by EarthShine because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2020 @ 01:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: EarthShine
a reply to: Boadicea Heard from usually reliable sources that the virus will not slow down this summer...

I can see how that might be a concern, but I don't know how anyone could know that yet.

...it will be transmitted via mosquitoes. Keep water buckets upside down in spring rains, buy skeeter eater small fish for ponds. Another way to prep.

I'm a stickler for going out after a rain and making sure there's no standing water. They don't like me, but they sure like my husband.

Also heard-martial law coming; air travel will start to be curtailed in apx. a month.

We'll see. Martial law is going to be a hard sell. A real hard sell and for good reason. If they're thinking of martial law, they better have damn good reason or they're just asking for trouble.

Air travel I can already see dissipating all on its own. Family from (southern) Washington state flew in last week to my in-laws and said the plane was only half-full on a normally sold-out flight.

60 million in Italy on lockdown.

Italy is a very different place with very different politics. I don't think it could be as easily done here. Nor should it be.

We'll see what happens. I think it's rather premature for anyone to be coming to any definite conclusions. We don't know what the virus will do yet. Especially if it's different in nature than other Coronavirus strains.

posted on Mar, 10 2020 @ 02:10 AM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

👍🏻 Easily done, the ‘City of London’ is as you said a square mile.

posted on Mar, 10 2020 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Does anyone know what happened to the update thread?? #4 is closed with no explanation and I don't see a 5. Anyone know what's up?

posted on Mar, 10 2020 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Otley
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

👍🏻 Easily done, the ‘City of London’ is as you said a square mile.

Yes the original city of London, but that is not the London of today and all its boroughs...London itself is something like 750 square miles, then their is greater London

The quarantine would need to be around the M25 motorway/ring road

posted on Mar, 10 2020 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

originally posted by: carewemust
A quarantine would incite mass panic and an "end of the world" scenario, in the affected city. Would make a good movie, but it's not practical.

Its the only thing which will work or the deathtoll will be massive

you have to slow the R0 to bring down the mortality rate

If 80% of the country gets it withing the coming months april - may

Then 15% could become critical care ICU

If theyre not given hospital beds, medicine, ventilators etc, the mortality rate will be massive, this is why we see people dropping down in the streets or being carried out their house or tower block in body bags, they didnt have the capacity, they welded the doors shut after 1/2 cases inside entire tower blocks, they didnt add people who died outside care to the CFR /mortality rate either

Here is someone who gets it. Well said

Thanks its been a 8 week long battle LOL

Now we have people denying Quarantines are coming, since posting this thread we have seen Italy quarantine 16 million people now its become nationwide

I guess some people cant think critically with the wealth of information at hand likely lack of, or just bury their heads in the sand and continue to attack those who are just informing

Frustrating, probably the most stand out thing about this event

posted on Mar, 10 2020 @ 01:30 PM
link   
New Rochelle NY - Containment area

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I

originally posted by: Boadicea
a reply to: TritonTaranis

Its the only thing which will work or the deathtoll will be massive...

This is the fear, but no one knows for sure what's going to happen.

...you have to slow the R0 to bring down the mortality rate...

RO?

If 80% of the country gets it withing the coming months april - may...

Keep in mind that as the weather warms the virus will begin dying its natural death... at least for this season. So the rate of contraction, and therefore the rate of transmission, will decrease accordingly as we get into spring and then summer.. In the southwest, we're in the 80s right now. By April/May, we'll be in the 90s. And will most likely hit triple digits before Memorial Day.

Then 15% could become critical care ICU If theyre not given hospital beds, medicine, ventilators etc, the mortality rate will be massive...

People have never been better prepared to battle illness and disease. Modern medical technology continues to keep many people alive that would have died even 50 years ago. But also, we know more than ever about food as medicine, including vitamins and other nutrients. Our bodies today are better nourished and stronger than previous generations, who suffered chronic scurvy, pellagio, rickets, night blindness, etc., all because of nutritional deficiencies.

We've had plenty of warning. Most people who are so inclined have already taken preventative measures to protect and strengthen their bodies. Many of us because we've been doing it for years, so we were prepared. Others because they recognize the reasonable risk and are taking reasonable precautions.

May I ask what you've done to prepare? Do you have a plan? Are you concerned because you don't think there is any way to prepare? Or because you don't think you can prepare enough? Or because you don't know how to prepare?

I only worry when I have no plan. If I have a plan, I'm good to go.

Maybe you feel that way because you’re not really watching and listening?

What you just wrote is nothing short of wishful thinking

Your healthcare system will be crippled within weeks

Is this fear or is it reality?

The head of the Lombardy's intensive care crisis unit says the health system is on the brink of collapse, intensive care being set up in hallways. By March 26 they predict ~18,000 #Covid19 cases in Lombardy, of which ~3,000 will need intensive care.

twitter.com...

Why do people feel this virus has changed since it crippled China? ever since it’s crippled every other country? Why do you feel it’s fear-mongering?

He says: “If the population doesn’t understand that they need to stay home, the situation will become catastrophic.”

Yes I’ve planned and made plans, no I don’t feel they’ll be enough the world is in uncharted territory, it depends how well the worlds governments perform and come together, it’ll be a year or two to remember that’s for sure

Italy IS A TINY COUNTRY. the US is not. What overwhelms the tiny, can be absorbed and contained easily in a country where there is literally a state of the art medical facility every 10 miles or so.

Your comparing apples to, well, stadiums and stadiums of apple pies, with apple juice and some apple tarts on the side. The US isnt Italy. It's what 40x the size of italy? With more people in the healthcare field than their are citizens in italy?

This entire thread is seriously illogical

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 02:07 AM
link   
a reply to: pasiphae

I just posted on it.. Definitely not closed.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join