It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

medicare for all by jon oliver

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 12:51 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

jon oliver broke down "medicare for all" on his show "last week tonight".

one of the biggest points that i favor is that even if your taxes go up, it will be less than what you are spending in your current plan simply because you dont have to worry about surprise bills. you know the bills that come because your insurance didnt cover whatever it is.

its not free, youre gonna pay through taxes, but you dont have to worry about anything because everything is covered.

remember, the insurance company hates paying your medical bills more than you do. they make profit off not paying and sticking you with the bill. thats called good business, making profit.

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 01:12 AM
link   
a reply to: stormson

I've gotta be honest with you stormson, the following 2 phrases, medicare for all, and, you're gonna pay through taxes, placed in one OP on this website is nothing short of madness, absolute madness I tells ya.

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

I know, right?

I mean, it's just healthcare not like it's a border wall or anything.

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Because of my work, I spend $50 dollars a month on healthcare for my family of five. Show me in any projections how they will be able to cut my costs in their model.

Remember, you do not have all the information, but you will choose talking points over reality.

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Jon Oliver is British, and speaking as a fellow Brit your 'healthcare system', or rather utter hollow joke of a system, is utter madness. Medical bills should not be a major cause of bankruptcy. And yet, in the USA, it is.

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 01:35 AM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

Nope. He is a US citizen now. So he holds dual citizenship.
edit on 18-2-2020 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 01:58 AM
link   
John Oliver is an idiot.

I want the freedom to choose my healthcare and not have it dictated to me by an incompetent federal government.

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 03:12 AM
link   
John Oliver is getting car insurance confused with medical insurance. One is easy to solve in 15 minutes or less. The other is extremely fvcking complicated. It's so complicated that the US struggles providing mediocre healthcare for less than 1% of the population in Veterans despite attempting to do so for over 100 years. It's also very expensive, right behind the military budget and that's for, again less than 1% of the population.

Oliver though like most people in entertainment love to skip over important details. His show looks like a duck gliding across a pond but it takes an army of dirty duck feet to pull it off. Technicians, writers, lawyers, HR, security, sponsors. His only real job is to deliver the punch lines which for the most part he didn't even create but somehow, he knows how to run the whole damn operation of healthcare. Give me a fvcking break.

I'm not even going to attempt to solve healthcare but I do know one fundamental problem from experience nobody is addressing; lack of resources. There is not enough medical staff to provide care, even poor care for every single person and that's assuming no more illegal aliens "entertain" coming across the border for this one perk.

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 03:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
John Oliver is an idiot.

I want the freedom to choose my healthcare and not have it dictated to me by an incompetent federal government.

Ah right that lovely choice of "I'll take that really expensive cyanide" or "I'll take that really expensive noose'. "Oh and if you don't buy one of those you owe us all your money... for the rest of your short life".

This setup (and I do repeat, setup) isn't working.
Sadly, the state of the American healthcare situation is a 'follow the money' situation... and right now it leads to profits, not 'healthcare'.

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Really? Thr NHS is NOT the be all end all gold standard of healthcare. Waiting lines...months and months of waiting for an appointment. Chronic shortages of nurses and doctors. MRSA due to lack of hygiene. And remember when the power wnt off...couple of hospitals generators didnt work cuz maintenance has taken a funding hit.

And on, and on and on. Google NHS problems and you will see the downside tio a nationalized system.

a reply to: AngryCymraeg

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 03:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: okrian

originally posted by: Metallicus
John Oliver is an idiot.

Ah right that lovely choice of "I'll take that really expensive cyanide" or "I'll take that really expensive noose'. "Oh and if you don't buy one of those you owe us all your money... for the rest of your short life".

This setup (and I do repeat, setup) isn't working.
Sadly, the state of the American healthcare situation is a 'follow the money' situation... and right now it leads to profits, not 'healthcare'.

It could work better if the Government did their job and stayed out of it. Take drug prices. They are high because trade deals like NAFTA and even the new USMCA subsidize prices for Mexico and Canada and upcharge Americans. Just fixing this one thing would be a big deal for Americans. The new USMCA tried addressing it but the Democrats would not budge because they get money from big Pharma for their party. Yet healthcare is a "crisis" to them. No. They are the crisis. They are the reason drug prices are high.

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: okrian

how much will it cost, and what kind of track record does the new provider have with 330 million customers? Will I have the same level of service I have now?

I'm not mocking you, I want to know these answers. You are for this, so I'd have to assume you have the answers.

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 05:49 AM
link   

I feel so bad for americans, so many people needing help, I really hope that they can sort this out.

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Medicare for all.

From the people who brought us the Iowa Caucus.

Sounds like it would be great.

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Have to assume Congress can implement it correctly and not get bought off like during the ACA.

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 06:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: wheresthebody

I feel so bad for americans, so many people needing help, I really hope that they can sort this out.

It's not that bad really. There are about 20 million or so without insurance. Of that 20 some could actually afford it but say screw it and refuse to pay for it. Basically uninsured drivers. Also, some don't even care. They would rather just do opioids, meth whatever. You could drive them to the hospital, agree to pay their bill and they would still refuse.

There is also a lot of fear mongering about bankruptcy. I have never met anyone that went bankrupt with medical insurance. My father just passed, he was of meager means but the insurance covered his medical care. If someone is going bankrupt they likely don't have insurance so yes, most do go bankrupt in that situation because they refuse to get insurance.

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

I guess it just seems so unsettling to me, I couldn't imagine having to worry about a financial impact from illness/injury outside of missing work.

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Medicare for all scares me a bit.
I never hear full details of how certain things would go.

Say you need surgery. Right now, you can choose the very best surgeon in the country, if you want to pay more.
If medicare for all is implemented, can I still choose to go to the better, more expensive surgeon?
If I can't, and everything costs the same, what's the incentive for a surgeon to be the best?
They can't charge more for a better product anymore, so why have a better product?

Same goes for all doctors.
People always hate on American healthcare, but always leave out that we have the best of everything here, because there is incentive to be better here.
Our research and practitioners are the best in the world, because of how our system is set up.
It needs some fine tuning, for sure, and we need to get crooked politicians hands out of the cookie jar.
We don't need an entire overhaul.

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 07:26 AM
link   
so we should listen to a foreign comedian about how to fix our healthcare system?
seriously?

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Refer to my above post.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join