It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Debt Increased by $3 Trillion During Donald Trump's Three Years as President

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 01:37 PM
link   

National Debt Increased by $3 Trillion During Donald Trump's Three Years as President.

As a Republican presidential candidate, Trump said he would eliminate the national debt in eight years, which was $19 trillion in 2016...

Alright!

Wait a second...

At a private dinner with wealthy donors last Friday, just days before the third anniversary of his inauguration, the president brushed off critics amid concerns of his spending and growing national debt.

"Who the hell cares about the budget? We're going to have a country,"

Errr, who cares?

Well, Republicans care. Or used to care.

Libertarians care.

Democrats, not so much.

Oh and this lady cares (which is probably the biggest shock), the former head of the "Federal" "Reserve":

Back in 2017 when the debt was $20 trillion:

Janet Yellen's last warning: The national debt 'should keep people awake at night'.

"I am very worried about the sustainability of the U.S. debt trajectory," Yellen said at a Joint Economic Committee hearing Wednesday.

"Our current debt-to-GDP ratio of about 75 percent is not frightening, but it's also not low," she said.

"But when you look at, for example, CBO's long-term budget projections, it's the type of thing that should keep people awake at night."

Dr. Ron Paul has been warning about our debt for 40+ years.

But for the head of the debt based monetary ponzi scheme to publicly warn us probably means we're in trouble.

Screw it! More welfare, more warfare!

edit on 8-2-2020 by gladtobehere because: typo

+14 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

Why even bring this up? Trump can do no wrong!! Don’t bring up pesky things like details. Just lie about it. Or better yet .. but but but Obama!!

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: mzinga

The 2 party circus.

Republicans only care about debt when a Democrat is in office.

The media only cares about debt when a Republican is in office.

Democrats never care.

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 01:44 PM
link   
He’s given us more debt with less taxes, more expensive stocks for companies that are doing less, more jobs with lower pay, a trade war “victory” with China where he settled for 1/4 of what they were offering him 4 months ago. Way to go.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Well, the national debt increased about seven and a half Trillion under Obama, so under Trump, the rate stayed about the same. But Trump said he was going to reduce it, which he evidently hasn't. It would be hard to reduce a debt like that, the interest on the increase during Obama's rein made it much harder to stop increasing.

Trump can't fathom how much interest is on that debt, I do not care how much anyone tries to reduce it it is going to be hard. The problem is he should not have said he was going to get it down, he had no clue as to how big a problem it is to turn it the other way.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Agree with the first two statements but not the last. Part of our issue is over generalization. That being said if this current circus isn’t enough to kill the two party system, one wonders what will it take.

This archaic system that is exploited by our media needs to move on.

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Yet you ignore the state of the economy when Obama took office. Severe economic crisis coupled with Bush tax cuts. Do tell how much the deficit was decreased the last 4 years of his stay.

So tired of the old rallying cries blaming Obama a for a problem that was not his.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 01:55 PM
link   
POTUS# 45 had to spend that $3 Trillion to UnDo the damages done by the previous POTUS #44...

i.e. restocking the nations Cruise-Missiles/Predator Drones used tokill hundreds of top IS/ISIS Jihadists
i.e. rebuilding the USA armed Forces & Navies to protect world Sealanes for international commerce/trade
i.e. re-invigorating/stimulating the US economy from the dismal policy of needing 3 part-time jobs because 'we' were told that recovery was impossible, wages would never grow again, that 'we' were nothing more than feudal serfs, evermore

the $3 Trillion spent in the Trump administration was the monies Unspent by Obama's 8 year romp of desolation to demean & diminish the American Dream as a sustainable policy of Exceptionalism

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Obama increased it a lot...

Bush gets forgotten a lot in this equation though. The whole Iraq war was loaned.

The wholy trinity of presidents will be known for basically increasing our debt by ten or twenty fold though.

Bush, Obama, Trump.
edit on 8-2-2020 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 01:57 PM
link   
After he gets re-elected, the very first new budget he should refuse to sign until they balance it.

Most of this problem is caused by Democrats because they want dollar-for-dollar increases for domestic programs in response to increases in defense programs, which makes no sense considering they're not balanced 50/50 in the budget. Military spending is only about 20% of the budget, so a 4:1 ratio would make more sense. The entire concept of linking them with a ratio is asinine though.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Truth be told, most superannuation funds have lots of stocks in companies. The growth of those stocks, on average... (stock market growth) under Trumps years has been huge.

I think I was reading somewhere that last financial year the US stock market growth on average was something like 30%....

Australia was 15%, other markets other values, etc.

But the US was the biggest one by far.

I think the 402k or whatever the US equivalent of Superannuation is called for all Americans has probably grown tons more than compared to the US debt increase as a percentage.

Essentially US citizens becoming richer via retirement fund investments than becoming poorer via total national debt....
edit on 8-2-2020 by DaRAGE because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Democrats want conflict spending and domestic spending.

Republicans want increased military spending and reduced taxes.

They both suck when it comes to the budget.

We need to reduce spending for everything by the federal government.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Under Clinton, there was a surplus. Obama took on an ecomomy losing one million jobs A MONTH. Obama put two wars "on the books" and bailed out the entire Country to the tune of 1.5 Trillion. And it worked. Trump gaves his rich friends more money and increased the debt 3 Trillion.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Democrats want conflict spending and domestic spending.

Republicans want increased military spending and reduced taxes.

They both suck when it comes to the budget.

We need to reduce spending for everything by the federal government.

And that's never going to happen when the Democrats insist on dollar-for-dollar reductions in defense spending for every reduction in domestic spending. Our budget isn't half domestic, half defense.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: MiddleInsite

Under Clinton, there was a surplus. Obama took on an ecomomy losing one million jobs A MONTH. Obama put two wars "on the books" and bailed out the entire Country to the tune of 1.5 Trillion. And it worked. Trump gaves his rich friends more money and increased the debt 3 Trillion.

This is full of partisan rhetoric, but the last part is particularly laughable that's been thoroughly debunked. Get new talking points. You look stupid.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: mzinga

Yet you ignore the state of the economy when Obama took office. Severe economic crisis coupled with Bush tax cuts. Do tell how much the deficit was decreased the last 4 years of his stay.

So tired of the old rallying cries blaming Obama a for a problem that was not his.

I did not blame Obama for this, the problem was partially because of Bush. Also, under Obama they actually counted some of the deficit that was hidden by bush, that was done in the first year or so if I remember correctly, which made Obama look worse. Obama made some bad mistakes in trying to boost the economy, giving money to corporations to help keep them from folding, but those corporations were folding from poor management and improper spending, he should have chosen wiser.

The problem is that the interest on that debt is a huge chunk of change, it is hard for this country to escape the grim reaper. Under Obama's first term, the economy required that he take measures to keep it going, but in the second half he should have started cutting some unnecessary waste. He created another Demon, a medical industry with an insatiable desire to eat money. He never really attempted to curb that at all. Finally, all of congress is starting to look at the high costs of meds. Obama making it unlimited for insurance companies to pay medical bills caused lots of profit taking, that was a major flaw. Many people started to be tortured by doctors again because money was available. I know some people who that happened to, the Treatments resumed since there was money again and they started to suffer again and went downhill.

I am sorry that I do not agree with you that Obama was good, because he might have been a people pleaser, but he was not a very good president. I would give him a D, I would give Bush a C-, I give trump a C, I give Bill C monika

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 02:05 PM
link   

When Obama was in office, the Republicans wouldn't let him spend not one dime, unless he found the money for it. Now the Republicans spend like drunk whores. I wouldn't have a problem with it, except all I heard during Obama's Presidency is "debt and deficit". Well, that and all the golfing he was doing. Now that all is laughable, because you let Trump do much worse. Hypocrites.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I guess he will have much more wiggleroom after re-election, not having to worry about his coming election.

There were more urgent matters to deal with. And while the Republicans were not supportive in the beginning of the 3 years, the Dems went all out in their resistance efforts. It makes it hard to fix a country, but still he did.

It’s just 3 out of the 8 years. I think it is still to early to judge on this debt.
edit on 8-2-2020 by Goedhardt because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: MiddleInsite

When Obama was in office, the Republicans wouldn't let him spend not one dime, unless he found the money for it. Now the Republicans spend like drunk whores. I wouldn't have a problem with it, except all I heard during Obama's Presidency is "debt and deficit". Well, that and all the golfing he was doing. Now that all is laughable, because you let Trump do much worse. Hypocrites.

I'm not happy at all about the current levels of government spending. That doesn't change the fact that your post that I replied to was full of nonsense.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Goedhardt
I guess he will have much more wiggleroom after re-election, not having to worry about his coming election.

There were more urgent matters to deal with. And while the Republicans were not supportive in the beginning of the 3 years, the Dems went all out in their resistance efforts. It makes it hard to fix a country, but still he did.

It’s just 3 out of the 8 years. I think it is still to early to judge on this debt.

Truth. And this just keeps a cycle going. The outgoing president wants to "balance" the budget and leaves things underfunded, so the incoming admin has to spend a lot to stabilize everything, then they try to cut so they can say they "balanced" the budget. Meanwhile, 3/4 of the budget isn't even addressed because it's "mandatory" spending. Congress needs to re-adjust the mandatory spending levels, but they're too inept to do it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join