It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Those Darned Millennials

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

They probably have no idea what you are talking about. LOL
Just today, we were listening to pandora, "Carolina beach music"
It was freaking 50's & 60's music.

So for some reason, Sock Hop popped in my head. (I'm not THAT old yet)
So I asked a couple people if they knew what that was.

2 under forty had no idea. 1 just early 40's said he did, but only after the owner said what it was.

Made me feel old, and I wasn't around then.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

just asked aunty google what a baby boomer is yep next time my daughter calls me a old fart i will tell her nope im a baby boomer

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1
a reply to: KTemplar

Yeah, thankfully because of the military I'll have pretty much all of my school paid for. I'm better off than some as far as employment goes. And well relationships. Maybe one day I'll find someone that isn't self absorbed and constantly worrying about their social media appearance.

You will, you’re smart!

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep
I'm a boomer and if I could I'd try to date a 26 year old.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Oh wow lol. I haven't heard that in forever. My elementary school had sock hops. lmao

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

I think some stereotypes are true (to an extent, nothing is one sized fits all).

But like you said, the millennials get some of the stuff really aimed at younger generations.

I'm 30... Windows 95 came out when I was five. High speed internet wasn't popular until I was about to enter high school. Smart phones werent popular until I graduated high school.

Any older generation older than me not in a home had the same addiction level of tethering to their phone as I do (I don't have much of one, at work I don't really use it other than work).

As I get older I notice I am trying to get back to the roots... I want to move out of town into the mountains. I want older things like a wood stove, my smoker, a garden and animals...

The older generations will always rip on the younger... And eventually the younger will emulate those generations when they get to that age, with minor differences.

link   
a reply to: CharlesT

me too but the wife would kill me

link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

That scene had me rolling! In a non-drug related way of course

edit on 2312020 by AutomateThis1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: KTemplar
a reply to: AutomateThis1

I’m a Gen X.

I loved growing up in that time, jobs were plentiful, relationships were in, there was plenty to do
As a teenager - roller skating, discos, drive inns.

You could buy a decent used car for 1,500, rents were affordable. You only really needed one job, and you could afford a vacation at least once a year.

Now, I see millennials going into huge student loan debt, only finding part-time jobs, struggling to find a real relationship because so many people just swipe now. Renting an apt is more expensive than having a mortgage. Need a car, it’ll cost about 300/month.

Health insurance, sure we have that, but the co pays and deductibles will break your bank.

Internet ruining futures and relationships, people getting fired over comments on fake book.

I would not wanted to grow up in their years.

Wish we could all get it right, but fear selfishness and greed is too rampant. Also too much hatred and evil.

Some days I hope for the asteroid!

Yup, I quoted the whole text again.

You summed it all up, perfectly! 🍻

Life in general, has become a serious sh!t show....
edit on 23-1-2020 by KKLOCO because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Well thank you, but I don't think being smart leads to any increased success of courting or achieving a long term, child bearing relationship lol

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 07:14 PM
link   
LOL
I get the physical attraction of younger women.

But....

This guy got it.
Older women

(never could manage to insert a video, cause I'm old! LOL)

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Damn.... You nailed it.

I can't really complain, I do alight.. But I definitely wish I was born before I was.

I feel like I was born to the wrong generation and I don't really think things will get better. I'm not so much hating on the people of my generation or younger... Just the direction the world is going and how fast.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

Good news for you is that sugar daddies are a lot more popular now. In my recent experiences with dating the women I had taken to dates only cared about how much money a man is willing to give them.

I'm not saying all women are like that, but my recent experiences haven't been favorable. They'd rather date multiple men and string them all alomg for money.

Apparently there's this new thing called FDS. Which stands for female dating strategies. It's basically like the woman version of a player. They share tips with each other online on how to find and keep HVMs (High Value Males).

But, if you're old, rich, and dgaf you're probably golden poney boy.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Gen X. We had a great time. We still got to experience the old world where parents were over bearing but also were on the forefront of technology but not to the point it ruined us socially.

I'm 46. I remember first discovering the internet and had a 300bps modem. I had an Atari 2600. Pong anyone?

I remember when we did actually have to use pay phones. There were no cell phones... then we got beepers.... then we got the brick phones. My wife was commenting how our young daughter probably won't know what a camera is because she associates taking pictures with our phones.

I remember not having a microwave.

I can't imagine dating and socializing nowadays where people are constantly ghosting and swiping...

I see 20 somethings and think the are kids. No way I'd date someone that young. Even early 30s seems too immature to mentally. Not saying a romp in the sack wouldn't be fun, but no way I could have a serious relationship with someone that young at my age.

edit on 23-1-2020 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT
a reply to: scraedtosleep
I'm a boomer and if I could I'd try to date a 26 year old.

I dated a lady 21 years younger than me for 6 years. That's when I stopped seeing myself as middle aged and admitted I was old.

Great woman, though, and we're still great friends.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Remember how all the kids thought they were cool with their Sidekicks? Lol

But totally agree. I've already deleted most of my social media. I got rid of Instagram, because I just didn't get anything out of it. Worst of all was that it would keepnsuggesting pictures of young girls modelling and barely clothed or in suggestive situations. I wouldn't consider it CP, but it was definitely pretty creepy.

A guy I know has TikTok, and that app is gross. I spent a minute going through it on his phone, and it was like what I described with Instagram, but way worse. I'm talking elementary or middle school aged children from Central/South America and Eastern Europe emulating adult behavior.

I asked him wtf is he doing looking at that kind of stuff, and he said "You just gotta ignore that stuff, and only follow the adults."

But regardless this is what social media and lack of parenting promotes with children and young teens currently. It's disheartening that is what is considered normal, and ten or twenty years from now it may indeed be normalized since those kids are going to grow up and may promote that same behavior in their children.

But, yes. I too would like to move out to a country side type area, and cut back on technology. Maybe just internet. I already have cut out all video games, because of the way they are marketed and push out unfinished products, and then promote buying DLC to get the whole experience after already shelling out sixty to a hundred USD.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Well thank you, but I don't think being smart leads to any increased success of courting or achieving a long term, child bearing relationship lol

Sure it can, it helps you weed through the bad apples 😊

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Ah well yes. Yes, you're right. Sometimes I forget there are different types of intelligence. Thank you.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Ah well yes. Yes, you're right. Sometimes I forget there are different types of intelligence. Thank you.

The major one lacking these days is emotional intelligence. People are forgetting to set aside emotions in certain contexts. I'm not proclaiming I'm perfect, I just notice society as a whole is losing touch with that lost discipline.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join