It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Found Another Old Gun ! - Magnet Fishing with Trueman

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Well, as advised in MY PREVIOUS THREAD, I went back to the place I found the cast iron pot. I tried to find the lid and the wand to complete the set. I didn't find them, my magnet instead got attached to a big flat metal surface at the edge of the place. It took me like one hour to rescue my magnet. I thought it was a terrible hunt.

Then, I found this baby. Not such a thing as a bad hunt !

This time, I didn't film enough material for a new video. What I'll show you is how I cleaned it a bit and the final result.

First, I carved all the crust built up. Nothing fancy, no chemicals, no soaking. The gun had been soaking in the river for so many years until about one hour ago. A lot of dirt came out.

Then I wiped it with olive oil. An Italian touch. I couldn't find my coating spray can.

The result. I kind of like to leave a bit of the old rusty look on this kind of objects. That's the charm.

Ok, now it's time to ask you ATSer friends to help me ID the object. I don't know about guns but maybe it's older than others I found, like this one.

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 03:59 PM
link   
It's seems to be a standard revolver that's missing the barrel and the grip. Other than that pretty hard to tell.

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: slapjacks

Yes, very hard to guess but I wouldn't be surprised if ATS solves the mystery.

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 04:07 PM
link   
It may be all the years of corrosion and sediment build up but to me it looks like a unique style hammer. Perhaps a revolver with a 3in body and strange shaped hammer might help you identify it. Normally I would suggest getting a measure on the revolvers chambers but that don’t look like an option atm.

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Rather bizarre the barrel is missing. It should have been harder steel than the frame. Makes me think it was removed which could mean this was an intentional discard after use in a crime.

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Yes, most of the guns found in rivers and lakes were used for bad boys and separated in pieces before they end underwater. It would be an issue if one day I find a gun still operational and would need to be reported to authorities.

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals
My guess would be an antique dan Wesson pistol from the late 30’s was innovative because he had a model with interchangeable barrels

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Not sure, but something about the angle of the tang makes me think it could have been a rifle.

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Flatcoat

Interesting point! Also to call out the tang didn’t they used to make toy guns back in the day that didn’t require the down sweep for the pistol grip?

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Looks like it belongs to one of those revolver based carbines rifles from back in the day. The grip attachment point tis the give away to me.

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Guyfriday
Looks like it belongs to one of those revolver based carbines rifles from back in the day. The grip attachment point tis the give away to me.

Seems like that. The chamber is similar to that of a 'Fairfax' Carbine

I'm unsure if the barrel was removable.

My thoughts,

Bally

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Flatcoat

Great observation, I think you nailed it. Given the size of the trigger and guard versus the cylinder size I would guess a .22.
edit on 6-1-2020 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

If I ever found a gun in a lake or river (or even part of a gun), it'd be going straight back in... People don't generally discard things like that into the water just for the fun of it.

You could have a murder weapon on yours hands, for all you know.

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Definitely used in a murder, and discarded.

Not to poo on the parade..

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

The condition and the estimated age of the gun makes it untraceable. No records in those days.

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 06:56 PM
link   

There is an angle that I would like to see, that being where the barrel connects to the front of the frame.
The trigger guard seems very large in comparison to the cylinder.
I have some questions about the rear portion of the hammer and how it ends outside of the rear of the frame.

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton
Definitely used in a murder, and discarded.

Not to poo on the parade..

It's something about this hobby. Detectorists know all modern or still operational weapons need to be reported. In this case, the gun is way older than Jimmy Hoffa and it's impossible to restore.

I went to a police station with one of my finds and they said pretty much that.

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
There is an angle that I would like to see, that being where the barrel connects to the front of the frame.
The trigger guard seems very large in comparison to the cylinder.
I have some questions about the rear portion of the hammer and how it ends outside of the rear of the frame.

Made more pics for you, that angle?

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I'm going to say I think that is a firearm that has been cut into 3 pieces before being tossed. I've never seen a revolver with a squared off frame haunch like that. I'm not even sure why one would be manufactured that way or how the tang/grips would attach to what you're showing short of them having been sawed off the firearm.

Without that it's tough to suggest what it is.

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 08:25 PM
link   

To me, its the trigger guard under the cylinder and the position of the trigger, centrally to the guard and not to the rear, that makes it dissimilar but not outright to that of a revolver.

The position of the guard and the trigger seems to me to be more of an aiming shoulder rifle weapon than that of a hand revolver.

My take on this,

Bally

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join