It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia to build massive extra heavy lift launcher

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
If they would/could combine emerging rocketfuels, like nanothermites in this heavy launcher, it will go a very long way...

[edit on 11-3-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago

All in all, thats a dumb idea

I find your lack of appreciation for this idea as your being dumb. I just so happen to be a structural engineer Murcielago and everyone who builds anything in this world realizes that in todays economy, money is everything. The money needed to build an alternative to a rocket with the lift capacity similar to the Saturn 5, starting from scratch, would be in the billions and not feasable. How can you say the proposal I offered up is dumb when in fact many more series of Saturns than 9 were launched and not one failed. Not to mention the Saturn 5's stage one engines are still the most powerful engines ever developed.

I dont know what you do or if you are an engineer or business man or what, but let me tell you, you could take the structural design of the Saturn, simply keep it the same, strip off the top 3 stages and just use the super powerful bottom stage with the engines and materials in the structure an the engines designed out of state of the art materials and you would easily, easily have a rocket to get the job done, and be billions under budget.

The rocket would still be brand new and much more advanced than the Saturn.

Train.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   
BT - I'm not saying it wouldn't work, I just dont think its very feasible. and I guess it would all boil down to...Do we need it? and that anwser is No. One of the concept configs for the Boing Delta IV Heavy would be to have 5 main rocket engines, normal Delta IV is 1, the Heavy config has 3 (the main one then two more on its sides), the concept config is the same as the Delta IV Heavy but with an additional 2 more rockets, and if we need to launch something really big I think that would be more practicle then to revamp the Saturn V.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   
If you would have disagreed with me nicely like u just did, i would not have taking the dumb comment so personally. The original post you presented delt with "Russia" not the US building the rocket. Thats why I offered them the oppurtunity or idea to use a proven design. Thats all.

Train

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join