It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia to build massive extra heavy lift launcher

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Russia is planning to build massive rockets!

The US's biggest rockets can lift 54,000 lb's into LEO (Low Earth Orbit), Russia current main rocket in the Soyuz and if can lift 15,400 lb's into LEO.
But Russia's future rocket (if built), will be capable of lifting 220,000 lb's into LEO! Making possible a lot of options, like LEO, GEO, Moon, Mars, Etc.

Russia's new Extra-Heavy Launcher

This giant will be able to lift 4 times more then Lockheed and Boeings best.

I hope they build it, they could construct moon bases or space stations easier, and give them an edge in the space market.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 12:18 AM
link   
They could also build say a pilot manufacturing plant in orbit or on the moon as well. We need that capability, I hope the US or some other entity Private or Public copies or creates a rival for this behemoth. It sure will be impressive if it gets built huh.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Wow, that is an impressive invention if they do manage to get it that high...and I agree it would be necessary for any bases on the moon or things like that that we would hope to build.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 05:39 AM
link   
This could be very useful if they can bring the cost down to a rasonable price, i dont really know if this thing is capable of going to mars i would say probably not but it can be used to build some substantial structures in LEO or the moon.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ufo3
This could be very useful if they can bring the cost down to a rasonable price, i dont really know if this thing is capable of going to mars i would say probably not but it can be used to build some substantial structures in LEO or the moon.

huh??? You do know that our smaller rockets like the Boeing Delta II have gone to Mars several of times, even the Russian Soyuz could be used for a mars mission. Its easily capable of getting to Mars, and it could have a pretty big comparment for the crew, if they choose to send people to the rewd planet.

I'm now really sure what Russia's future space plans are.
I heard moon, but then I read that they want to send people to a Mars moon called Phobos, and now it sounds like they want to build there won Space Station. I hope they Choose the Mars moon, cause Nasa has chosen to go to the moon, and as for the space station...well, those have never lived up to expectations.

[edit on 9-3-2005 by Murcielago]

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   
no its not going to be used to go anywhere except low earth orbit like any rocket, just more stuff than others can carry... " capable of lifting 110 tons of payload into low-Earth orbit and providing materials for assembling future space stations there." if people read iinks posted you'd see this..

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielagohuh??? You do know that our smaller rockets like the Boeing Delta II have gone to Mars several of times, even the Russian Soyuz could be used for a mars mission.

not true, but craft launched by them have(ie, the mars rovers, etc), rockets dont have enough fuel to reach any planet, not even our moon.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by namehere
no its not going to be used to go anywhere except low earth orbit like any rocket, just more stuff than others can carry... " capable of lifting 110 tons of payload into low-Earth orbit and providing materials for assembling future space stations there." if people read iinks posted you'd see this..

I bet your wrong.

You think that "IF" Russia does build it that it wont get used for any mission beyond LEO.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally po
sted by Murcielago

Originally posted by namehere

I bet your wrong.

You think that "IF" Russia does build it that it wont get used for any mission beyond LEO.

I dont think they would use the rocket directly because it would not be big enough for the crew and it would take a considerable amount of time in comparison to nuclear propulsion to reach mars. U are right when u say that it could reach mars but it would be a much better idea to build a bigger ship in LEO as i dont think a crew could live in such a confined space for a few years and still have room for food and water.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Or a better idea, build infrastructure so we can build ships in orbit. Too way out there? The technology seems to be almost there... If not in Orbit then on the moon. I believe some proof of concept tests will be conducted on space tethers. That could make Made In Space items economically feasable and not just a novelty as it will be at first.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Yes there are so many resources in space that we are spoilt for choice lol, just think of how many asteroids are out there just waiting to be mined

It could be a very dangerous thing, trying to mine in EO, we dont want another mass extinction.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Building spacecraft in space would be extremely hard, and extremely expensive.....One day, probably....But within our life...No.

Its a lot easier and cheaper to build our stuff where we can....ahhh, what the word i'm looking for...oh yeah, BREATH. and no...Robots arn't going to be building spaceships in orbit for a long time yet.

The only problem we have is the gravity or our earth, and rockets are very expensive. Thats why I will always be a big fan of space elevators. I believe (other then some exotic anti-grav) that it will be the catalyst to make our presence in space known.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Such a lifter will never be constructed. There is a physical limit to how much fuel a rocket can carry. Beyond that, more fuel is unliftable under its own weight.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by masterp
Such a lifter will never be constructed. There is a physical limit to how much fuel a rocket can carry. Beyond that, more fuel is unliftable under its own weight.

I disagree with you, the Russians make vodka from potatoes, with that kind of skills im sure they can do anything.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod

Originally posted by masterp

I disagree with you, the Russians make vodka from potatoes, with that kind of skills im sure they can do anything.

Can they even bypass physical laws, then?

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
The law is economics. Unless the need for a super-heavy payload develops, it is more economical to use smaller launchers.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Im just saying that making vodka from potatoes is an impressive feat. I for one would love to see an extra heavy launcher in use, it would do wonders for our ability to build in space.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   
You want a heavy launcher, redesign the saturn 5 platform. You could restructure it to be for LEO only instead of long distances, replacing the upper stages with one gigantic lower stage and scrap the weight of the upper stages. Hell the designs are already there and its a proven system. Just rebuild it with todays materials technology and save a few billion.

Train

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigTrain
You want a heavy launcher, redesign the saturn 5 platform. You could restructure it to be for LEO only instead of long distances, replacing the upper stages with one gigantic lower stage and scrap the weight of the upper stages. Hell the designs are already there and its a proven system. Just rebuild it with todays materials technology and save a few billion.

Train

Are you kidding...the Apollo rockets were very big yes, but had a huge price. Your idea is use there blueprint...but make it all modern...In other words, to construct an all new rocket. People often think the Apollo rocket is as good as it gets because not one blew up...Which isn't to suprising considering only 9 were launched. It was a big five stage rocket, there would have to be extensive modification done before in could go to LEO.

All in all, thats a dumb idea, and it would be more practicle to just build a new one. Which Nasa might have to do for its return to the moon...Since the Atlas V Heavy and Delta IV Heavy are our biggest, I dont think they are big enough for a moon base construction. They were made for big sats (mainly for the military), and one will most likely be chose by Nasa for there CEV (Crew Exploration Vehicle), which is a small spacecraft Nasa is having built for a people transport to the moon. It should be ready aound 2012-2014.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I remember reading about something that the USSR did a while ago to get substantially more thrust and efficiency from a rocket engine by recycling the exhaust gases or something. I think NASA thought up the same concept but it was deemed to dangerous to ever be practical, i dont reckon Russia really has safety at a high priority though so maybe they will use this to build the heavy lifter as less fuel is needed per unit thrust.

[edit on 11-3-2005 by ufo3]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join