It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Double Talk in DC

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: timidgal

Defending US diplomats and US citizens in a war zone is the proper protocol for any president. He did the right thing. Let the chips fall where they may.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: DBCowboy

What gives the potus the power to kill a terrorist without congress approval?

So everything the president does, is only after congress gives permission?

*checks Constitution again*

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Starting wars to unite people behind someone is a political ploy that has been done for many decades. Usually, the Democrats rile things up and the Republican president has to go to war. It has been that way for a long time.

Trump has been trying to avoid war as much as possible. But when dealing with some of the Muslim countries radical sects and leaderships it is difficult. The Muslims tend to be a warring group of people, they have many different versions and they are always fighting among themselves and any country that challenges them.

The funny thing is that Mohammad was all about making treaties and trying to negotiate, but they did give it hell if they could not find common ground. It is probably good that they fight amongst themselves or they could be a major world problem.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Just curious, what war did Trump start?

I know he killed a terrorist yesterday.

Blew him alllll up and stuff.

That was in Iraq.

Did he bomb another country?

I was out for a minute, might have missed it.

I was referring to the practice of conducting military actions at the 11th hour of a Presidency. There's nothing like anticipatory fear of war to invoke a reluctance of changing leadership. Obviously Trump knows this strategy from his past tweets. I think everyone can understand the intent of my statement.

Actually, they were in Iraq, but they were Iranians. They were specifically targeted with a drone precision missiles. Iraq was not attacked, the Iranian individuals were. It is Iran vowing retaliation, not Iraq.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
I say give President Trump a chance. Thus far I have not been disappointed. I don’t think starting a war will be necessary for him to get re elected.

I have given him every chance over the last three years and I personally find his leadership very disappointing.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Looks like (then) Secretary of State Clinton?

After Wednesday's briefing, legislators said Clinton told them the administration acted within the requirements of the War Powers Act and needed no congressional authorization for further decisions on the mission.

edition.cnn.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 12:35 PM
link   

What were Iranians doing in Iraq?

Shopping?

Was there a nice B&B there?

Was it another goat seminar?

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Safer because one general was killed?

Someone , maybe someone worse, is just going to take his place.
And now iran is for sure going to hurt americans some how some where over this.
Not that iran doesn't do that now but a cycle of revenge is not safer in my view.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 12:38 PM
link   

$300 on a nice B&B.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Double-talk in DC

LOL -- Oh how wrong Trump was about Obama and Iran! But to the greater point... If anything, I'd say Trump's 2012 era talk was more an indication that Trump thought there was good reason to open a can of whoopass on Iran, and that Obama would use that opportunity for his benefit. Much like Trump thought there was good reason after the embassy attack, and that's exactly what Trump did. Whether Trump factored public (voter) opinion into his decision we don't know. But my best guess is that the folks who would support retaliation were already Trump supporters and would have voted for him anyway. Those who don't support the retaliation were never going to vote for Trump anyway. Six of one and half a dozen of the other.

And does anyone know, just one person, what his long term foreign policy is pertaining to Iran? Foreign policy on anything?

In a nutshell, I'd say Trump's foreign policy is simply that we're not going to be the world's b*tch anymore. Whether we're talking economic trade, terrorists, etc. For now, much of that is un-doing everything that brought us to this point, and making (what he considers) better deals, establishing strong legal and military precedents, etc. So, in other words, someone attacks our embassy and Trump opens that can of whoopass. It's a simple concept. You don't have to agree or like it, but it's not rocket science.

And we are trusting this man to make unilateral military decisions without the consent of Congress?

Congress? Really? Because the same critters that created these problems are somehow now the solution??? Oh dear... Give me a minute to stop laughing...

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Breakthestreak
Yeah

“What can I do that will help get me re-elected”

Isn’t something that President Trump would need to be thinking about

He’s getting re-elected. That’s a given.

As for ‘copying obama’? Yeah I don’t think the President let another Benghazi situation happen last week. And I don’t think he’s going to airdrop billions of dollars in cash to the Iranians. But I could be wrong.

It seems our positions on his chance of reelection differs, but that's okay.

And I never said he "copied Obama". I was speaking about the practice of instilling fear during the start of a presidential reelection campaign. My intent is not to start an Obama bashing thread. I'm not looking back, I'm looking forward.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Your avoiding my question.

I didn't say everything he does.

I simply asked what gave any potus the authority to kill a terrorist without congress approval?

Did you check the constitution for the answer to this question?

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Given the depth of the current Democratic field, I'd say Trump would have to bomb Nashville to lose the election at this point.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I don’t get the idea that this attack should have had congressional approval, as if they didn’t approve of the war in Iraq more than 15 years ago.
edit on 3-1-2020 by CitizenZero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

There's no question that Gen. Qassem Soleimani had American blood on his hands, but such a blatant disregard of proper protocol, which provides for checks and balances, is unacceptable in this situation. I'm so tired of the tit for tat that's been going on in D.C.

The first part of that sentence says everything that needs to be said.

Pray tell, what protocol and checks and balances were needed to take out probably the number one formentor of trouble in the middle east who killed and maimed numerous US and Coalition Forces in Iraq and Afghanistan with those made in Iran IEDs?

Are you saying the Democratic leadership would have opposed this operation? Can't wait till they actually say that and seal their political fates.

Are we a renegade country? I agree that he was a despicable individual, but that's not what this is about. It is about OUR government. Even out founders knew there had to be checks and balances.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Like I said I think killing this guy was a mistake. We didn't mean to kill him.

But I will admit that it's a hell of a coincidence.
Impeachment, reelection, and also this just came out.

cdn.cnn.com...

Sometimes a lot of things happen at once. I don't think it was planed.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: IrateCanadian

Not sure what sort of drugs Ms McGowan is using, but they must be really powerful.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anathros

originally posted by: underwerks

What say you, ATS?

I know what ATS as a whole is going to say. Rah-Rah strong man Trump war is good, aren’t you glad we have a strong leader BS.

I’m more of the mind that this is just regular Trump projection. He accused Obama of everything that he did because that’s what he would have done in the same situation. It seems to be the Republican Party line to assume everyone is as crooked as they are.

Believing that lets them rationalize all kinds of bad behavior.

You've got some serious issues to work out.

As for the OP, Trump stuck his foot in his mouth. It wasn't the first or likely the last time he'll do it, either. I'm sure he didn't expect to be the future POTUS and this bit him in the ass. Pretty straight forward.

I couldn't agree more.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: IrateCanadian
Meanwhile...

Psychopathic, Undiagnosed Rose McGowan - Who dated Marilyn Manson back in the days, is furthering the agenda to push the Libs/Dems more apart from the USA.

Rose Mcgowan Tweets Defending Iran

Even as a Canadian. Disgusting.

What does this have to do with this post?

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Welcome to the Roaring 20's!

Seems like it was just yesterday when Billy Clinton went to war in Bosnia to cover-up a cum soaked blue dress.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join