It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Trash We Look Up To

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I do get the point your making and I guess it all boils down to how attached you were or are to your cultural icons of childhood.

Personally, as much as I may have enjoyed the roles they played.. and even idolized them as children .. It doesn’t seem to effect me in a nostalgic way when they die.. just more a sad way that another human has passed on. No more or less important than the homeless guy on the street when he passes on. I’m not saying this is the right way to be.. or to imply that you are wrong for feeling the way you do..it’s just the way I seem to be.

I’ll work on it for the new year..try to be a better person.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

i have one question :

is it REALLY true ?

the tail has major internal inconsistencies

and SEEMS to be a combo of elements from 2 of the couples 5 house fires

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

I don't think it has much to do with being a better person exactly.

When I express dismay over the passing of someone whose work affected my childhood, it's a more selfish impulse in the sense that my life would have been vastly different in some small way, the world would have been, without their work.

Imagine physics without Einstein. Imagine modern fantasy without Tolkien.

I knew neither of those men, but had they died while I was living, I would have marked their passing because of the contributions to life and culture and science they made. Things are different because of them.

The passing of Bill Nye and Neil de Grasse Tyson will likewise have impact because they made an impact. We can argue whether or not it was a good or bad one, but it was one and that's what people mark in those threads. They are a shared part of our shared experience. It's not them personally we all know and love as you say. What we mark is that a part of our shared reality and shared experience is gone forever, and that I feel it is perfectly legitimate to miss as those are the little things that connect us to each other in this world.

When you and I meet on the street, we may not know squat about each other, but conversations start over shared aspects of the culture we both enjoy, and from there, relationships grow. These are the little bits and pieces we mark the passing of. This is the stuff where strangers find things in common and build something deeper from there.

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 08:42 AM
link   
""Do you ever wonder about the current state of the country we are living in? What about the world? With so many 'good' people to look up to, it's amazing that we're such a mess. These... These are the people we let determine our opinions. These are the people that your family watches often and says "you know... she's right. She makes such a great point". These are the leaders of our great day-time comedy, our opinions and our moral compass.""

OZZY is a Prophet : www.youtube.com...

Crazy, but that's how it goes
Millions of people living as foes
Maybe. It's not too late
To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Mental wounds not healing
Life's a bitter shame
I'm goin' off the rails on a crazy train

I've listened to preachers,
I've listened to fools
I've watched all the dropouts
Who make their own rules
One person conditioned to rule and control
The media sells it and you live the role

Mental wounds still screaming
Driving me insane

I know that things are going wrong for me
You gotta listen to my words, yeah, yeah

Heirs of a cold war
That's what we've become
Inheriting troubles
I'm mentally numb
Crazy, I just cannot bear
I'm living with something that just isn't fair

Mental wounds not healing
Who and what's to blame

Just as prophetic as the Dali Lama....

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 09:40 AM
link   

I don't think it has much to do with being a better person exactly.

Was sorta kidding with that statement 😉.

Like I said, I do understand where people like you are coming from better now. It always rubbed me the wrong way because I just saw it as shallow idolized glorifying of celebrities.

I will admit that many of the people that others feel contributed so much to our culture and society are not that impressive to me.. or if they are , and wouldn’t have been around, others would have filled their shoes in scientific ways.. and life would have still progressed.

I guess we’re different on appreciation of celebrity death threads. I understand where your coming from better.. so let’s leave it at that.

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
a reply to: StallionDuck

i have one question :

is it REALLY true ?

the tail has major internal inconsistencies

and SEEMS to be a combo of elements from 2 of the couples 5 house fires

Its a show called Would I Lie To You, and I think it's damn hilarious. Had I seen this ep I'd have skipped it, and while some of the details can be embelleshed, their card (which they don't know what is on it till they read it) is either true, or a lie.

She's a stuck up surgically altered slag.

This how I like the show.. james Acaster is hilarious.

edit on 31-12-2019 by TrustedTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

Maybe.

Every person and every contribution to the world is unique in my eyes, and in God's eyes too. Maybe someone else would have filled that niche, but they would not have been the same. Everyone touched by them would have been different in small ways for it.

Can you be replaced? I'm sure someone else coudl fill your niche here, but they would not be you, would they?

And it's sad to think we would not have been touched by you in even this small way.

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 01:45 PM
link   

You make good points Ketsuko...

And it's sad to think we would not have been touched by you in even this small way.

Ok.. this made me laugh .. because I’m pretty sure a large number of members wouldn’t mind seeing me banned.😆
But thanks for the sweet thought 😉

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 03:24 AM
link   
a reply to: TrustedTruth

hmm - thanks - i no longer watch TV - cannot think why

yup - reading the wikipedia primer - it does seem highly scripted - i wonder if the annecdote was written for her

i used to watch " call my bluff " - but i guess the format would be considered boring today

the deeope one peeers into this farce - the less accurate it appears to be

i suppose ironically - given its origin

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join