It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Any Species Evolved Beyond the Need for Sleep?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I believe in reincarnation/samsara. I think there are clues to the truth of this process but that like Vishnu dancing unrecognized before his people, we are not meant to understand these clues.

One of these clues to rebirth, in my opinion, is sleeping. Sleep, in my opinion, is a metaphor for the rebirth process. Dying is like to the slipping away into sleep. Rebirth is like the groggy waking up process. When we wake (are born), we don't remember heaven (dream-state) unless we're tuned to remember such things.

Having said that, I also do accept Dawkins' theory of the selfish gene and therefore I do accept evolution and its implications. One question though: Why hasn't sleep been conquered by evolution? Has there been a species which has evolved beyond the need for sleep? If not, why not? If a being didn't need to sleep, they'd essentially have twice the lifespan, better hunting results (your enemy must sleep), etc. Also, it seems obvious that dogs (and maybe other animals) dream while they are asleep. What is the purpose of dreaming in animals?

If sleep cannot be evolved out of beings, then maybe it is a clue for us that in spite of evolution, some traits cannot be eliminated from any species. A clue that life is simply a process of dying and being reborn like the irresistible process of falling asleep and waking up.

Has any species evolved beyond the need for sleep?

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   
It is one advanced mental capability (among many others) that a creature needs no sleep at all.

There are many people who are genetically mutated without the need of sleeping, and they are famous in the media, too. So it is not a surprise to see aliens, who don't need to sleep at all. That's the way they can watch you day and night.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   

and they are famous in the media, too.

Who are these people? Famous in the media?

I've heard of the Indian guy who lives with no food and water, but never heard of humans who don't need any sleep. Heck, I'd be impressed with a human who needed one night of sleep per week, which seems totally unsustainable.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I've seen two rumanian and a russian guy who need no sleep, was in the news in the past days. Don't ask me their names, I'm not in those countries. But these people who cannot sleep at all, are generally famous in the media because of it. Google on it, you may get some results.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   
The more healthy a person/species is the less sleep he/she/it needs...

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I think that there maybe some other "Force", "Person", "Auora" or whatever you wanna call it ... that maybe resets all of us when we sleep. We have to sleep because otherwise our minds would eventually break free of some kind of device ... or even maybe thier mind power blocking us to see what is really there. But anyways ... Just had a really OUt rageous THOUGHT !!!

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vertu

There are many people who are genetically mutated without the need of sleeping,...

I'm sorry but this is blatantly false. There is NO such mutation. I'd like to see proof that there is ANYONE that does not require sleep to sustain life.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Partyof1
I'm sorry but this is blatantly false. There is NO such mutation. I'd like to see proof that there is ANYONE that does not require sleep to sustain life.

Just because your search engine fails to drive, or you just want to keep argueing on nothing? I'm not a medical expert, but these people have medical definitions.

But I have a feeling, that you are more interested in alien sleepless species than human ones.

Correct?

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Partyof1

Originally posted by Vertu
There are many people who are genetically mutated without the need of sleeping,...

To the bug flying outside my window, the Taj Mahal doesn't exist either.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   
There are numerous creatures on the planet that need no sleep, many invertibrates, some fish, several amphibians and I believe a type of mole. I mean, just watch some BBC or Discovery, or National Geographic.... or pay attention in biology class.

As to humans, I see no reason to believe that some Governments somewhere with Black Budgets have perfected this years ago, with either implants or indeed, Genetic Engineering.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   
What about Plants .... they are alive ... If not do you think that the Venus Fly trap is alive ??? There are people that do not require any sleep at all that take lots of pills. To make them drowsy .... I am not sure why ... mainly because they start to see stuff that isn't there at all, when they do not sleep .. Sleep Apnea is what it is called I think. But anyhow ... Umm ... I think the reason that they are seeing things that aren't there is because they are seeing on a different plane than we are ... we are all able to see the plane but either a part of our brain is turned off ... where we can't and when we stay up long enough it has like a back breaker it blows and everythign works ... I AM NOT SURE ....

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murundi
There are numerous creatures on the planet that need no sleep, many invertibrates, some fish, several amphibians and I believe a type of mole. I mean, just watch some BBC or Discovery, or National Geographic.... or pay attention in biology class.

As to humans, I see no reason to believe that some Governments somewhere with Black Budgets have perfected this years ago, with either implants or indeed, Genetic Engineering.

You forgot to mention those who have MPD (Multiple Personalities Disorder)...

One personality will take over the body as the other one who occupied the body during the day or night...

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   
People who dont sleep. I think thats kinda like a nightmare scenario if you will. I mean not being able to sleep must suck. Although that would mean I would have more free time to do what I want. But what would I do with all that free time...hmmm

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Those people who can't sleep, or partially can sleep, are called insomaniacs.

You can google on Insomania and you will find massive results regarding this genuine issue. Currently considered as illness, there are insomaniacs who draw the media's attention due to their healthy lifestyle and survival.

Aliens may be insomaniacs such as Reptilians, but they are definitely not sick!

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ocelot
People who dont sleep.

I think they eventually go crazy.

Thank god I'm not an insomniac. My sleep is precious.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
The majority of sharks don't sleep. They would die if they don't constantly swim to move water thru their gills.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I go on 3 to 5 hours of sleep a day. Im sure there are many people who can go on less.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by sen5e
I think they eventually go crazy.

Thank god I'm not an insomniac. My sleep is precious.

Same here. I love my sleep. Especially after a hard day of college and work.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by BattleofBatoche
The majority of sharks don't sleep. They would die if they don't constantly swim to move water thru their gills.

You dont know much about sharks do you. There is even a world renown cave in Mexico that you can book reservations to go diving and watch the sharks sleep.

isla-mujeres-mexico.com...

Now keep in mind. There are species of shark that do need to keep moving, but not many.

[edit on 3/8/05 by Kidfinger]

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I said majority not all, so there!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join