It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GPS being jammed and spoofed at Shanghai Port

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Ghost ships, crop circles, and soft gold: A GPS mystery in Shanghai

From Source above: A sophisticated new electronic warfare system is being used at the world’s busiest port. But is it sand thieves or the Chinese state behind it?

Do not miss the data on this published in the table at this link.
navcen.uscg.gov...

Do a search for Shanghai on this page to quickly scan through the specific reports. This is a well documented article in my opinion and well researched.

edit on 11/19/2019 by machineintelligence because: entry error

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 07:00 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

Weird!
I was flipping my lid today trying to get my Phantom 4 RTK to connect to my D-RTK 2 base.
Couldn’t get a GPS lock at all today with it.

I’m in northern Ontario, Canada though.

However, my Trimble R10 had no issues.
So I’m blaming it on cheap China Made, DJI junk.

Maybe Shanghai is using DJI’s junk GPS base stations.

edit on 19-11-2019 by Macenroe82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 07:04 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I’m in Tennessee and I had trouble this afternoon with GPS and satellite radio. Kept coming and going for no apparent reason. Has anyone heard about Operation Theseus? It’s rumoured to be operated by US Space Command to spoof GPS.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

I had really not heard about that project. I am suspecting the spoofing is to cover some smuggling ships in my opinion as that makes the most sense.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 07:36 PM
link   
GPS presumably requires several satellites to be "visible" to the receiver.
There was a Ballantine beer sign that lit up at night outside my prison window back in 1964.
You would thing by now the systems would have better authentication to protect against weak signals and spoofing.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Slichter
There was a Ballantine beer sign that lit up at night outside my prison window back in 1964.

Forget the spoofing...I wanna hear more about this! Guessing that sign was torture. How old are you, Slic?

Back to spoofing, I'm not sure pirates could make that work for them although lost vessels would be optimal in their line of work.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 08:43 PM
link   
So the center of one of those circles is a super high smokestack which is hwere they may have put the gear

www.thedrive.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

That tower installed just South and West of the dormant smokestack at the end of 2018 does look like the likely source of the signals for this operation. Still remains the question of why? Perhaps a test of the technology but it should not be too hard to run down ownership of that tower. With the right app it could be verified with a cell phone from someone on the ground. I expect the way this story is spreading there will be cell phone video of this tower at some point soon.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

The Chicoms are looking at a number of anti access / area denial capabilities and jamming GPS is just one of them. Now why they would test such a capacity in such a public manner is the real question?

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Are they really testing such tech, or is the US deliberately degrading GPS signals over the area?

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 09:53 PM
link   
The government has the capability to totally shut down all GPS in the US.... the only ones who can access it after that are the ones that have the encryption key.

That would be the military, law enforcement, ect.

It's been that way for a few decades now. They always have a plan B.
edit on 19-11-2019 by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace

Are they really testing such tech, or is the US deliberately degrading GPS signals over the area?

This looks like a Chicom op to me. If the US degrades the signal people would not recieve it. This was deliberate spoofing and it was a trial run.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 10:13 PM
link   

What better way to test something than to "accidentally" let it get out into the wild. You get to see if it works, for minimal effort and total deniability on your part.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

Degrading the signal doesn't make a system show your position jumping around like this has been. It would show your position with a bigger error probability, not suddenly show you miles away, then back at the dock, then miles away again. Something is actively spoofing GPS signals, not just degrading the signal.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: FredT

originally posted by: EternalSolace

This looks like a Chicom op to me. If the US degrades the signal people would not recieve it. This was deliberate spoofing and it was a trial run.

What's not what happens when the GPS signal is intentionally degraded. If degraded, accuracy decreases. Significant accuracy decrease means an inaccurate/unusable signal. A degradation does not mean a blocking of the signal.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: EternalSolace
Something is actively spoofing GPS signals, not just degrading the signal.

Understandable, just didn't make sense in the current discussion. Spoofing of the GPS requires some high end encoded tech...

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 10:19 PM
link   

What better way to test something than to "accidentally" let it get out into the wild. You get to see if it works, for minimal effort and total deniability on your part.

True but why advertise? They could have done this in an closed port and no other countries ships would have noticed?

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: FredT

True but why advertise? They could have done this in an closed port and no other countries ships would have noticed?

Plausible deniability... there are numerous phenomena that can degrade a GPS signal.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join