It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can This Teenager Use a Rotary Phone?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 07:13 AM
link   
So this will be much funnier for us old folks than for the young 'uns here... but I couldn't resist posting.

For those who cannot (or choose not to) watch, Ellen asks a 17-year-old girl to perform three tasks: Re-fold a map, look up a muffler shop in the yellow pages, and then call that muffler shop on a rotary phone... And the results are awkward at best!!!

Enjoy!!!

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Haven't watched yet but will later
But just in general, I am sure that this particular teen is dimmer than others, as I know a few kids of friends that would have no problem doing this. Teens that are interested in gaining knowledge and show interest won't be so helpless. You must be a bit ignorant if you can't.

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Nvm.

But re-folding maps can be a real bitch.

Have you ever re-folded a map from a forestry department? I mean one of those maps with an area roughly equivalent to a queen-size mattress. I'll take my chances in the wild next time...

edit on 11/9/2019 by DictionaryOfExcuses because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

LOL! We can't know what we don't know, eh? I won't hold it against this teenager or any other who doesn't know... it's not that they can't figure it out, they just never had to, so they didn't.

Even back in the day, folding maps was something of an art form, and looking up numbers in the yellow pages could be a challenge. This girl was looking under "car" rather than "automotive," so she wasn't too far off!

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 07:29 AM
link   
OK I agree with the map, but everyone is bad at that regardless of age or experience. It's plain evil...

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses
Nvm.

Yup... it sure can be! There were plenty of jokes about exactly that when we still used maps routinely and regularly. It's not rocket science, but there is a proper way to do so. My son used to love looking at maps when he was a kid, and I made sure to teach him how to re-fold them properly for my own convenience (and sanity!).

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 07:31 AM
link   

As cringe-worthy as that was, the end is the most appropriate part...Millennials win a prize for...nothing.

On a related note, I would be happier than a pig in, well, you know what, if:

1. Cell phones would go away forever
2. Phone books were the only way to get a phone number
3. Rotary phones were the only phones

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 07:32 AM
link   

That stuff is always funny but why do they never show grandma trying to use a computer or running a smart phone app?

Ignorance and stupidity are not the same and I think people tend to forget that.
Yeah it's fun to see the reactions but it's taken to far sometimes.

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Holy Golden Muffler, I hate Ellen, but that was funny

now I'm laughing but so so sad at the same time.

I think I should cry at some point, but I wont.. golden muffler.. loolll

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses
Nvm.

You literally are you name !!

folding maps, washing pans, life... crikey !!

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

As cringe-worthy as that was, the end is the most appropriate part...Millennials win a prize for...nothing.

Your point is well taken... but at the same time, the girl gave it her best shot -- on national TV no less! -- and with a great sense of humor. I'll give her big points for being able to laugh at herself! (Something sadly lacking in today's youth...)

Well, I wouldn't cry in my cups if that happened! I literally just canceled the landline I've had for 30+ years. I kept it for emergencies, but it's just gotten too expensive. But I'm the person everyone gets mad at for not pandering to my phone... I still reserve the right (or is it privilege now?) to walk away from my phone, leave it at home, or just not answer it if I am not so inclined at the moment.

Silly me!

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: gallop
You literally are you name !!

folding maps, washing pans, life... crikey !!

You are dead wrong.

At least the bit about washing pans. Few are aware of my commercial dishwashing prowess. I've out-dished Mexicans. That might seem like a strange boast. You'd only understand if you've been in the pit.

I cannot argue with the rest. In fact, logic suggests that if you've been a dishwasher long enough to brag about dishwashing skills: you're bad at life. Guilty as charged.

It's gotten real bad these past several years.

edit on 11/9/2019 by DictionaryOfExcuses because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

That stuff is always funny but why do they never show grandma trying to use a computer or running a smart phone app?

I've seen those too! But the funny thing about that is that it's old folks who developed all this technology that the young folks have grown up with. My in-laws refuse to even send text messages on the one cell phone they have... and although we've offered to buy them a computer for internet access they absolutely refuse. My father-in-law had enough of new technology when he had to implement it in the hospital he worked at for 30 years. He can. He just refuses to!

Ignorance and stupidity are not the same and I think people tend to forget that.
Yeah it's fun to see the reactions but it's taken to far sometimes.

True -- Perspective is everything. Just because someone doesn't know, that doesn't mean they cannot learn.

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

I imagine walking into a place, and a man confronts me. "What you after, son?"

"I just want some water and something to eat. a place to rest for the night would be mighty nice."

He stares at me, up and down, his chin lamenting his lips chewing his cigar.

"You know how to fold a map, boy?"

I show him my phone, google street view is on display.. "It says I'm at .. well it says here, sir?"

"Good.. " as he turns away, and I'm never seen nor heard of again.

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 07:46 AM
link   

The wife and I sat and watched this...…...we found it hilarious. Ellen has some pretty funny poop sometimes. One can say what they want about millennials, but if I need help with a smart phone I am asking them first.

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Both folding a map and quickly looking up a specific company in the yellow pages well on national tv, would probably be a challenge for almost anyone.

But it was actually quite hilarious how she didn't realize she had to take the phone off the hook before she dialed... But in her defense, unless your over 30, how would you know?

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

But it was actually quite hilarious how she didn't realize she had to take the phone off the hook before she dialed...

... and then picked it up AFTER dialing and saying "Hello?" to the dialtone. I was chuckling throughout, but that's when I lost it. Too funny.

But in her defense, unless your over 30, how would you know?

Of course! I think I'm laughing to myself as much as her in the sense that this is what we all used to do, and it seemed to come naturally because that's how it was and "always" had been. It's just funny to me to think that what was once so routine and commonplace for everyone is now a mystery for the young and uninitiated!

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 08:18 AM
link   
She obviously knew she was doing it wrong because she burst out laughing when she lifted the receiver. So this was almost certainly scripted. Although I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of young people couldn't operate a rotary phone.

Let's just call it what it was. An excuse for Ellen to flirt with a teenager. LOL
edit on 9-11-2019 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
She obviously knew she was doing it wrong because she burst out laughing when she lifted the receiver. So this was almost certainly scripted.

Ya think so? Hmmm... maybe. I thought she started laughing because she realized her mistake when she heard the dial tone and not ringing. You could be right. But my way of looking at it amuses me and your way doesn't, so I think I'll keep looking at it my way

Although I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of young people couldn't operate a rotary phone.

I would actually be surprised if they could! They have no reason to know, so why would they?

My in-laws actually still have a rotary phone. My kids used to have a blast playing with it!

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
She obviously knew she was doing it wrong because she burst out laughing when she lifted the receiver. So this was almost certainly scripted.

Ya think so? Hmmm... maybe. I thought she started laughing because she realized her mistake when she heard the dial tone and not ringing. You could be right. But my way of looking at it amuses me and your way doesn't, so I think I'll keep looking at it my way

I know so. 7:26 - 7:27 - She's already obviously trying not to spoil it.

Then again, I just don't trust the entertainment industry to not script things just because. It's what they do. They don't know how to not do that. I was watching a "news story" from the 70s the other day where they were supposedly interviewing ordinary people who were suddenly experts on everything and spoke more eloquently than the person who was interviewing them. Of course in those days I doubt many of the people who were watching it had any kind of BS detectors so I'm sure they thought it was all real. Watching it now, you can see how phony it all was. It's actually shocking that they got away with it.

But anyway, yeah. Ellen is funny and harmless but this is still probably a staged gag.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join