It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's talk about (store bought) Salsa.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I fell in love with cilantro after hitting Pho places in Chinatown.
Fresh lemongrass and cilantro was a deal maker...how can I say no....it tastes and smells soooo fresh!!!

I'm big on fresh herbs and spices.

Recently got into Indian spices and curries but thats another thread.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

What's the consistency like?

Thicker, thinner, chunkier, smoother?

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

This stuff is sold in Costco and is pretty darn good salsa.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 08:06 PM
link   
When buying and not making a bomb salsa like I do
I always just get the one that says

FRESH SALSA

In the prepared foods reach-in. I like any half decent Pico de Gallo that is easy to munch on.

I really love pickled okra. That and some chips, salsa and beer. I’m good.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 08:09 PM
link   

If there's no choice but store bought my go to brand is Pace (medium heat).
Other brands are either too sweet or have too much cilantro.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 08:19 PM
link   

**sigh**

I like salsa.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I don't know if its available in other states, but if you get the chance, try El Mexicano salsa. It is in the refrigerated section, in a plastic tub, both mild and hot, here in Mexifornia. It tastes wonderful, especially on summer. I never ever ever would even consider eating salsa that sat on a store shelf in a can or jar. Salsa must be fresh to even get in my front door. That stuff in the cans and jars is all cooked. The flavor just cant compete! As for the texture..... Goodness!

See if you can purchase it near where you live. Sandovals was another great salsa that was fresh. I havnt seen it in the stores for year.

Pace? Get a rope!

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
a reply to: DrumsRfun

I am a huge fan of cilantro. Some people absolutely hate it, though.

Think cilantro, lime juice,tomato,celery and green pepper salsa...all made with fresh veg!!!
Simple and fresh.

That sounds good, and I would definitely add some jalapeno or serrano. Like you said, fresh is key, which is difficult with tomatoes. They *have* to be locally grown and fresh off the vine to impart the flavor.

I do not like Cilantro. At all. If it's in the mix and I can barely taste it I will tolerate it but that's it.

A guy I know developed a non-tomato base mango salsa that was better than anything else I've ever had. It was in a southern small market for a few years but got too expensive to produce at that scale.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Agreed, Renfro's is quite good stuff. I like the mango habanero.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I just usually buy the basic brand, Pace usually.

Then I just chop up some green onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, and whatever is around the house, and add it all in there mixing ti all up in a bowl and just pour the pace or whatever brand I got over it and stick it in the fridge.

The stuff you buy at the store is runny and sort of plain, but if you mix it up with whatever you have, it tastes a lot better makes it more chunky as well. And since there is always leftover tomatoes, or onions, why not.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Cinaltro dislike can be a genetic thing. For some people, they have a thing that makes it taste like soap.

So for some unlucky souls, it tastes bad for a reason they can't help. It may be some of you here who don't like and that's understandable.

This is one of those local brands I like. Mama Socorro's is pretty much just KC, and they load the cilantro salsas up with it.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 07:43 AM
link   

I still haven't tried Mrs. Renfro's salsa..
But the Ghost Pepper Cheese is the best thing to come into my life in a long time..

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Cinaltro dislike can be a genetic thing. For some people, they have a thing that makes it taste like soap.

I've pretty much surmounted that people that don't like cilantro are evil aliens. God has not deemed them worthy to enjoy the wonderful addictive taste of cilantro.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Herdez makes some awesome sauces too.

My brother brings a batch of their guacamole for the wife, me the extra hot habanero sauce with little chunks in it when he visits from Texas.

On the sauce tangent. Yellow bird Serrano condiment sauce is amazing.

And anything by Jardines is worth picking up.

Can't beat Tex-Mex food.

edit on 30-10-2019 by Notoneofyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Notoneofyou

I was unfamiliar Herdez makes sauce, too. It's not carried where I shop, but I might have to seek some out.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 09:18 PM
link   
THIS!!!!!!!

It's comfort food for me as I've been eating at Macayo's since I was a wee lad. It's a bummer they closed the restaurants here in Vegas but I do believe the ones in Phoenix/Scottsdale are still around. Supposedly they are going to reopen with another name and vamped up menu but who knows.

Water, tomato paste, salt, red pepper, garlic powder, "natural" spices, citric acid, vinegar, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate.

Doesn't sound like it's that appetizing but damn I love the stuff. Sure it's not your traditional salsa but it's so good I could drink it. They used to also serve a chunky salsa but it never did anything for me. I always ignored it and went straight for the smooth. I'd take Pace any day over their chunky it was just not that good. That price at Amazon is crazy. I could buy 3 or four bottles and still have money left over for shipping it to you for that price.

I've bought it a few times and took it to work so my Mexican co-workers could try it and they all liked it. They may not have gone totally gaga over it but they liked it enough to come back for more.

posted on Oct, 31 2019 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

**sigh**

I like salsa.

I like *good* salsa.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

This is one of those local brands I like. Mama Socorro's is pretty much just KC, and they load the cilantro salsas up with it.

I'd like to try that.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem
This?

Amazon only has the taqueria salsa, not the mexicana.

I never ever ever would even consider eating salsa that sat on a store shelf in a can or jar. Salsa must be fresh to even get in my front door.

I like Herdez just because it's the freshest tasting I have had in a can/jar and tastes more authentic than any of the store bought "fresh" salsa.

Pace? Get a rope!

Haha

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
a reply to: visitedbythem
This?

Amazon only has the taqueria salsa, not the mexicana.

I never ever ever would even consider eating salsa that sat on a store shelf in a can or jar. Salsa must be fresh to even get in my front door.

I like Herdez just because it's the freshest tasting I have had in a can/jar and tastes more authentic than any of the store bought "fresh" salsa.

Pace? Get a rope!

Haha

No. It is in a small tub. Always fresh in the refrigerated section only

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join