It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's talk about (store bought) Salsa.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Let's talk about Salsa.

Actually, let's talk about store-bought salsa.

Aside from making one's own (contingent on the tomatoes being in season), I'm curious to know what everyone's favorite is, and why.

I have tried a few national brands over the years, and grew up on the generic and widely popular Old El Paso and Pace. While the latter is decent, it's still just mediocre salsa and does nothing for me. Granted, salsa from Mexican restaurants reigns supreme, and I have oftentimes bought quarts from the local restaurants to bring home.

I tried the On the Border salsa in a jar, and it's just too sweet. Sugar is one of the top ingredients.
I tried Kroger's Private Selection (restaurant style?) salsa, and found it less sweet, but still mediocre...generic.
I tried Greenwise from Publix, and tasted almost identical to Kroger.
They all just taste like store-bought salsa. Nothing special.

True, there are different types of salsa (verde, ranchero, casa, restaurant style, etc) I finally found one that I absolutely LOVE:

Herdez Salsa Casera. Made in....Mexico.

There are several types: jar, can, and also refrigerated "fresh." The jar and can versions, while the "same," are anything but in both taste and consistency. I have not tried the refrigerated version, but I seem to recall it had a few more "ingredients."

To me, the canned version is the best salsa I have found outside of a Mexican restaurant, and has a few simple ingredients: Tomatoes, onions, peppers (serano), salt, cilantro, calcium chloride, citric acid. Best after being refrigerated.

I'm sure there are some regional salsas not available in Georgia that some enjoy, so let's hear it. What's yours?

edit on 11/4/19 by FredT because: Edited spelling in title

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 05:03 PM
link   

We kinda like this stuff, and there are a couple of local brands that are not too bad too.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I like Newman's Mango Salsa, that's usually the only one I buy. Sometimes I add a little more chili powder in it just to give it a little more spice. The Mango really adds a lot of sweetness.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Never heard of that.

Where's it made and what're the ingredients?

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

I almost bought some Newman's a few weeks ago, and recall seeing the mango salsa. I might have to try it, I just have a suspicion it will be like most others.

I do like his dressings, though.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 05:19 PM
link   
My go-to, nothing else tastes remotely as good to me (I'm a "chilehead" anyway)

This is a goodie for dipping pretzels, especially choco-covered ones -- a little sweet, a little tart, a little hot. All around good stuff : up:

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

It's made by a company called Riba Foods in Houston.

I don't have a jar with me to tell you what's in it, but it's not a sweet salsa. It's a smoky one. They use a lot of roasted ingredients - tomatoes and such - in their salsas. So these trend saltier than sweet. It's not fiery hot, but it does have a pleasant spice to it.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 05:23 PM
link   

When I saw your title Herdez salsa was what came to mind for me. It's absolutely the best and even has a fresh taste to it.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 05:30 PM
link   

I am not a salsa snob so no name stuff is fine with me, I love cooking with it for easy added flavor.

I love making my own but don't do it as often as I want or should.
If I do it myself, CILANTRO....you can never have enough of it.

Think cilantro, lime juice,tomato,celery and green pepper salsa...all made with fresh veg!!!
Simple and fresh.

Also, if you want spicy...add to it.
edit on 29-10-2019 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 05:38 PM
link   

For chips this stuff is damn good.

Either of these for tacos, burritos, etc.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Not a fan of canned or jarred salsa. Some of it now tastes like it crosses over into an Italian type taste.

This right here is the real deal! Fire roasted Salsa, pretty much good on anything.
I add extra extra cilantro. For all the cilantro haters, we can't be friends!

www.budgetbytes.com...

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

So, the latter two are more of a hot sauce versus a salsa?

The 505, from what I can tell based on the photo, looks like a more restaurant style salsa. I'll look around online.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

I am a huge fan of cilantro. Some people absolutely hate it, though.

Think cilantro, lime juice,tomato,celery and green pepper salsa...all made with fresh veg!!!
Simple and fresh.

That sounds good, and I would definitely add some jalapeno or serrano. Like you said, fresh is key, which is difficult with tomatoes. They *have* to be locally grown and fresh off the vine to impart the flavor.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

So, the latter two are more of a hot sauce versus a salsa?

The 505, from what I can tell based on the photo, looks like a more restaurant style salsa. I'll look around online.

I grew up in New Mexico. Salsa in a restaurant isn't usually chunky salsa down there and a lot of places the hot salsa is more of a thick sauce. The two Yellowbirds are sort of between a thick (but not chunky) salsa and a hot sauce. They're not liquid like Louisiana or Tabasco, but they're not quite as thick as ketchup. The flavor is 100% on point to the hot salsas I grew up with.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I usually make my own, but when I buy it from a store it's this brand:

www.albertsfamousmexicanhotsauce.com...

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Most of the restaurant salsa in Georgia isn't chunky either, but more like it's been through a food processor. Some is thicker and some thinner, but rarely chunky. It seems it's usually the store-bought that is generally chunky and thick for the most part, so maybe that's part of my aversion in the search for something decent in both taste and consistency. The Herdez is chunky (large pieces of onion), but not a thick sauce.

The two Yellowbirds are sort of between a thick (but not chunky) salsa and a hot sauce.

That's what I wondering since you said it's good for tacos and burritos, which makes me think it not necessarily a "chips n dip" type sauce?

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 06:01 PM
link   

It would work with chips, but the 505 is probably more of what you're looking for in that regard.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Not a fan of canned or jarred salsa. Some of it now tastes like it crosses over into an Italian type taste.

That's actually a pretty good description, and could explain why I don't like most of it.

For all the cilantro haters, we can't be friends!

Lol

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 06:04 PM
link   
www.campbellsfoodservice.com...

Add water and tomatoes blend and you have resturant salsa same kind most restaurants serve

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Not salsa in the traditional sense but it will damn sure put lead in your pencil.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join