It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Zantac Recalled From U.S. And Canada After Carcinogen Found

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 03:06 PM
link   
This may interest those of you who may have taken, or continue to take this popular heartburn medicine. It's being recalled "due to possible contamination" with a cancer-causing substance, that "may have been present as long as its been on the market."

Sanofi SA said on Friday it would recall popular heartburn medicine Zantac in the United States and Canada, after the medicines were linked with a probable cancer-causing impurity.

The French drugmaker said it was working with health authorities to determine the level and extent of the recall, which it called a precautionary measure being taken due to possible contamination with a substance called N-nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA).

the online pharmacy that flagged the issue to regulators - believes the problem is inherent to the drug itself and NDMA may have been present as long as its been on the market.

LINK

So, what exactly is N-nitrosodimethylamine?

N-Nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA), also known as dimethylnitrosamine (DMN), is a semi-volatile organic chemical, produced as by-product of several industrial processes and present at very low levels in certain foodstuffs, especially those cooked, smoked, or cured. NDMA is water-soluble, yellow in color, and has little or no taste and odor. It is toxic to the liver and other organs and is a probable human carcinogen. It is also used to create cancer in rats for cancer research.

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

My insurance carrier informed me last month they're not paying my Zantac scrib any longer.

Maybe they are trying to help me out after all.

peace

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 03:12 PM
link   

The FDA issued a notice about this a few weeks ago. I think it was only for generic versions.

If I recall correctly it was a wishy washy notice.
It contains something that much of our regular food contains.

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 03:13 PM
link   

This was also announced in The UK 10 days ago.

www.bbc.com...

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

Oddly enough to can buy it over the counter.
My wife uses the stuff.

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 03:30 PM
link   

People should just suffer heartburn it can mess up our brain goo so we go demented.

What i mean is those pills are no good.
edit on 18-10-2019 by solve because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I was originally prescribed this drug 25 years ago. Since then I have used the generic version. It works well for me. I will take it as long as I can get it.

I was a chemical operator for 20 years and was exposed to more carcinogens then I can count. At 65 I still don't have cancer, so what's one more?

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: silo13

Oddly enough to can buy it over the counter.
My wife uses the stuff.

Cheeseburgers and greasy fries come over the counter too..haha

On topic:

Gotta love how the pharmaceutical/lawsuit cycle works.. the company takes in millions if not billions; projecting profit over loss....risk vs. reward.

Any lawsuit at this point will merely be a finger swipe through the frosting of the "profit" cake.

We are walking 'lab rats'.

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 04:32 PM
link   
This info came out weeks ago. Most places removed ranitidine products from the shelves.

FDA link

I think it has been expanded.
edit on 10/18/2019 by roadgravel because: link change

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I can't see how the amount of NMDA in that pill would be able to cause cancer in a person. That chemical is sometimes formed in drinking water that is chlorinated. It is present in smoked meats, and most people have the enzymes to detox it. Those who cannot detox it in say smoked fish, probably would not like the taste. It would be lots higher in smoked fish than that pill.

I think that there is something else wrong with that medicine. Maybe the companion chemistry in the med is causing the cancer. I am sure the manufacturer of it has tested it and found a flaw. They blame it on NMDA from contamination but they actually have something else that is causing an increase in cancer in it. Our bodies could all handle a little of that chemical. Otherwise they would quit chlorinating water.

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: solve

Why when a PPI such as omeprazole (Prilosec) will work great and give better long term relief for most people. PPI are usually not good for long term chronic use. If I am stressed out about something and notice I am getting heartburn I will do a 14 day course.

Zantac is better, bet tagamet and pepcid are both H2 blockers in the same class as Zantac.
edit on 18-10-2019 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Johnson & Johnson recalls single lot of Baby Powder after asbestos trace found
18 Oct, 2019 14:43 / Updated 9 hours ago

www.rt.com...

Not many see recall notices there are a ton of them out there

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 07:34 PM
link   

PHUC!

I have been taking Zantac, to avoid taking Omeprazole, which has been implicated in potential kidney damage.

Wtf? Is there anything safe? Should I just suffer heartburn?

I feel like I am playing Russian drug roulette!

edit on 18-10-2019 by Fowlerstoad because: added a word

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fowlerstoad
Should I just suffer heartburn?

Changes in diet can help. Have you tried that?

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Fowlerstoad

There are other H2 blockers, I listed some in this thread already. How often do you need medication? The CKI/AKI associated with PPI is from long term use.
edit on 18-10-2019 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fowlerstoad
Wtf? Is there anything safe? Should I just suffer heartburn?

Perhaps look into why you're getting heart burn in the first place and then address that, instead of just treating the symptoms.

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Navieko

H. pylori is one that sometimes leads to longterm problems. So it's good advice.

Some people will simply need medication though due to the cause.

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Fowlerstoad

Other than changing diet, try a spoonful of coconut oil. It works perfectly for some, others not so much. Give it a try, good luck.
P.S. I swear by it. (Have had heartburn on and off for the last 20 years).
edit on 18-10-2019 by hiddeninsite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Geez , is Heartburn That Bad to Deal With ? Give Me Heartburn , or Give Me Death !

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I would but I need the max dose (I have Barrett's Esophagus) and I just couldn't afford it.

I have a horse. That means I'm broke.

Thank you though! I hope your wife feels better soon.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join