It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump's withdrawal from Kurdistan is a trap for Erdogan.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
a reply to: maddy21

Excellent analysis maddy, though it is not for me to say you are right or wrong, just that it provides thoughtful considerations. You fleshed it out well.

My only disagreement though is that point where you think that Trump has put as much thought into the situation as you have. I don't believe him capable of that much insight on anything. If we are to believe that the US military leaders have condemned this move and were not prepared for it it is also reasonable to assume that this move was an aberrant decision on Trump's part and not part of any overall 5d strategy.
You're assuming some of military leaders are like minded, like you.

Some of these are warhawks and if war has been part of our lives for so long, it's interesting to see you put stock into them, maybe it's because of your dislike of Trump?

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Not the first time, and at least trump is willing to sell them weapons to even the playing field the last 2 presidents refused to do even that.

The maximum extent we went to with them when we were not actively fighting in the area was a no fly zone and that's it.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

Not the first time, and at least trump is willing to sell them weapons to even the playing field the last 2 presidents refused to do even that.

If that's what you really think, you should probobly do some reading.
edit on 10152019 by Mach2 because: D

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Mach2

Bush jr all weapons had to go through Iraq and they only gave the cast offs to the kurds, and Obama... well lotta threads on who he got weapons to.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 04:30 PM
link   

They (the Kurds) were allies of convenience, ONLY.

The Kurds are nearly Communist (not an American Value), and are Sunni Muslim (not an American Value either), and are not actually democratic (not an American value for the third time).

Time to cut the expensive cord. Well done, Mr. Trump.

edit on 15-10-2019 by Fowlerstoad because: added a little clarification

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 04:31 PM
link   
😃😀😄

Turkish Bank Charged in Manhattan Federal Court for Its Participation in a Multibillion-Dollar Iranian Sanctions Evasion Scheme

The Department of Justice announced that TÜRKİYE HALK BANKASI A.S., aka “Halkbank,” was charged today in a six-count indictment with fraud, money laundering, and sanctions offenses related to the bank’s participation in a multibillion-dollar scheme to evade U.S. sanctions on Iran. The case is assigned to United States District Judge Richard M. Berman.

“Halkbank, a Turkish state-owned bank, allegedly conspired to undermine the United States Iran sanctions regime by illegally giving Iran access to billions of dollars’ worth of funds, all while deceiving U.S. regulators about the scheme,” said Assistant Attorney General for National Security John C. Demers. “This is one of the most serious Iran sanctions violations we have seen, and no business should profit from evading our laws or risking our national security.”

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
a reply to: Mach2

Bush jr all weapons had to go through Iraq and they only gave the cast offs to the kurds, and Obama... well lotta threads on who he got weapons to.

Obama armed anyone in a three country area, that was anti Assad, and/or anti ISIS.

In some cases we armed both sides of one battle.
edit on 10152019 by Mach2 because: Sp

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: maddy21

Assad, Putin, and Trump come out on top, and Turkey gains some ground for stabilizing their future plans. the Republicans and Trump fortifying Israel and SA is just to create a stopping point for conflict, and Assad / Edrogan to go no further. Expect Syria and Turkey to be close allies from now on, Kurds are done, congrats we all just witnessed what happened to the native americans into the expansion of the west.
edit on 15-10-2019 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

Yet in your assumption that it is my dislike for Trump that I put stock in their position on this move. My comment was strickly on the relationship between Trump and the US military, not on my own opinion on how to conduct US interests in the Middle East.

Here is a link to an article in the Atlantic about military leaders relationship with Trump.
www.theatlantic.com...

I don't suspect that you read many of my posts but should you wish to you will find that I am not opposed to withdrawing our military from the ME. Actually this was one of Trump's campaign promises that I agreed with and have little opposition to in bringing about.

However this move has so many questions surrounding it. Again, while I applaud Trump's promise to withdrawal from the ME and his moves to fill that promise, the how is in question. The very quick manner in which Turkey has moved seems to me part of a scheme that is not in the best interest of the American people. The statement that Trump made about his, how did that go, '' My great and terrible wisdom'' or something like that? I just don't trust his wisdom at all.

And time will tell as things evolve in that region. Seems to me that like our withdrawal from Siagon and the aftermath of that withdrawal it could be a blood bath that conservatives railed against at that time because it was not handled in a better manner. Likewise this move could in my opinion been managed in a better manner.

Even then though we are moving our troops out of Syria, we are moving more into Saudi Arabia. And there, Trump has promised that our troops and all the encompassing costs will be paid for the the Saudis. Again, as much as I do not like our overseas policing, this move seems to be that it is going to be continued, but now on a paying basis. That our troops are up for rent to the highest bidder. That to me is not withdrawal, that is whoring.

But all this will be out in the wash. But at what cost still remains to be seen.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fowlerstoad

They (the Kurds) were allies of convenience, ONLY.

The Kurds are nearly Communist (not an American Value), and are Sunni Muslim (not an American Value either), and are not actually democratic (not an American value for the third time).

Time to cut the expensive cord. Well done, Mr. Trump.

Yeah right, the military thinks donald "bonespurs" trump is a dork and only pay lip service to him.

www.businessinsider.com...

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: maddy21
Last Friday/ 11nth of October. Turkish artillery strike landed 300m of to a US commando outpost. Turkish military being part of NATO would know known precisely the location of US military bases along the Turkish border. Also these US military bases would be marked as NFA - "No fire areas". One can only conclude that these was a deliberate strike, a message to the Americans to leave the area. Any case of "accidental firing" is simply out of the question.

There's militia out there that the media has been calling "Turkish backed forces" and maybe they did it.

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: XCrycek

originally posted by: maddy21
Erdogan in his obsession to reform the Ottoman Empire most likely did not see through the US game plan.

There is currently 3.6 million Syrian refugees residing in Turkey.
Turkey has every right to interfere in Syria and create a safe passage for these people so they can return home.
I know many of you Americans are tired of being ridiculed on the international stage by the incompetent orange cheeto but there is really no 4d chess or greater strategy in this. Trump #ed up and Erdogan went from drawing dead to having a royal straight flush.

So by your logic (see bold quoted text), the USA should invade Mexico and 'interfere' so that some portion of 20+ million 'refugees' (can't call 'em illegal aliens anymore) can safely return home - it's our right as a country!?

Good luck with that logical consequence, relax and have some more cheetos (flamin' hot ones for cool cats).

ganjoa

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I'm not an American, so i don't care too much about politics. Personally, i feel that Trump's biggest advantage is how everyone underestimates him. Sometimes i feel he takes the extra effort himself to look stupid. I could be wrong here. Someone who managed to beat all his rivals, the media, the establishment and Hillary Clinton CANNOT be stupid. Thinking him as such will doom his opposition even in the next elections.

On the other hand, It will be interesting to see how the Isrealis respond to this move. Considering how much Erdogan hates them.
edit on 16-10-2019 by maddy21 because: (no reason given)

<< 1   >>

join