It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is it a thread can receive negative flags now?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 11:33 AM
link   
There are many odd glitches on ATS. Look at people’s avatar area some are “Member” some are “member” and then there is the star glitch which has not been performed on me but has on many others. There are other glitches that I won’t talk about just to keep people from doing them that happen with word sequences. Not that it breaks anything, just that seeing a hundred posts of people trying it out is annoying.

I have seen the negative flag thing before. Only happens under very specific conditions and part of that is dependent on when your page loads in relation to other member’s unflagging actions as the database processes the flag and unflag requests.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Would a the possibility of a negative flag balance, make a subject more accurately reflect the sentiments of ATS members?

No, it wouldn't. Because it allows online gangs to form and delegitimize topics they don't agree with. The sentiment shown would never be the true sentiment because it could be altered by people with an agenda.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks
Highly unlogic. Currently it does the same but only for positive swaying.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Oleandra88

Not at all. It's what happened to reddit and many other sites. Forum gangs appear and downvote anything they dont agree with. Which leads to topics being delegitimized. It's a way online groups of trolls control and shift public opinion on certain topics.

Usually used by trolls on one side of the political divide. I don't think it's a coincidence that people on the same side want to see that happen here. There's people who have a vested interest in controlling the public narrative. And these people should never be allowed a foothold in any place that prides itself on being open and non partisan.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks
I can see your concerns, really. I do not dismiss them, not at all. I am on reddit since a few months so fresh-flesh but reddit is a huge place, you can not compare it with ATS really.

This place, and it is one of the reasons I like it, feels more like a big pool party, where many interesting people are around and conversations are happening. Reddit is in my impression a huge city. In this example.

But if we go so far and say forum gangs.

Just one example: I can easy imagine that the hard cores, as in regular active members of both left and right are doing it anyways.

I can imagine that the same types you speak of, do it anyways by withholding flags for some members they just hate or disagree constantly with.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Don't flags and stars translate into points? Every time I get a warning, It's usually doubled so I get a 1k reduction in points; isn't that a MOD operation?

I'm saving those points to get something nice for the 3 amigos.

Personally when I give a flag or a star, it's a well thought out operation and not taken lightly!!
edit on 8-10-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Best (freakiest) glitch I've ever come across was the one that triggers a creepy 'Halloween' quote from Orson Wells.
I can't remember how I triggered it...it was years ago.

Wow!

I'd give a farm to see that one...

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Points removal was set several iterations ago when points were used for various things. The points system went away, but the automated message was left in place.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Points removal was set several iterations ago when points were used for various things. The points system went away, but the automated message was left in place.

Oh, no....

Are you saying that when I receive a warning that sends me into a headlong spiral of depression and self hatred; it was all for nothing?
edit on 8-10-2019 by olaru12 because: another semi colon

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Are you saying that when I receive a warning that sends me into a headlong spiral of depression and self hatred, it was all for nothing?

Not at all. Don't discount the entertainment value we get out of it.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Before decrementing the flag count, check that it is greater than zero, or don't.

edit on 10/8/2019 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Following the T&C and posting with Civility and Decorum would be a great present, plus it has the side effect of not losing points from actioned posts. I am certain points are still calculated somewhere just not displayed anymore since they are not used.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
Not at all. It's what happened to reddit and many other sites. Forum gangs appear and downvote anything they dont agree with. Which leads to topics being delegitimized. It's a way online groups of trolls control and shift public opinion on certain topics.

That happened on ATS too.

Many years ago it was possible to give a negative opinion about a post (or thread, I don't remember what it applied to), and the result was the we got threads with no posts and only negative opinions, based on who made the thread, not on the thread content.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

It was fun experiment, not sure what anyone could expect otherwise, lol.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Are you saying that when I receive a warning that sends me into a headlong spiral of depression and self hatred; it was all for nothing?

It serves a purpose, believe me.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

It serves a purpose, believe me.

Like what? Secret score cards? Hit-list?
edit on 8-10-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

You were the One Star Bandit killing people’s star average. But I beat you by keeping a 4.8 because no one cared enough to give me stars in the first place so no one would waste their One Star cost to wreck me.

(Only because you’ve been here long enough to know what I am talking about)

edit on 8-10-2019 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Cause some people make sucky threads. I know this personally.

Arent you thankful Im not a mod? Youd see ** This thread sucks cause I dont understand the subject. LOCKED and DOWNVOTED you forum scum! **

I won trivia 2 times several years ago in chat. I still waiting for my autographed thong and t shirt.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

It's always done that. But there's no way for me as a regular user to make it go to negative. I'm wondering how that's possible?

I didn't think it was possible in the current version of ATS.

edit on Tue Oct 8 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: clarity

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join