It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why are politicians crooked

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: JustJohnny

If I was in the system I would take each issue on its own merits. If I have to take a huge bribe to pass a law then it does make me question the integrity of what is written. I guess i would do nothing then, at least with that case. The law is not just about me, it affects everyone.

There are heaps of issues and discussion going on in congress. I would rather get a few things right than lots of things wrong. We already have heaps of laws, probably too many. If nothing gets done during my term then it may even be a good thing. I am not there to run a business.

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 09:02 AM
link   
There was a stupid predatory lending law that got passed here in IL about 10 years ago. It was a banking/mortgage law that was poorly written that rose out of the housing crash. The law did nothing but raise costs to consumers and there isn't a shred of data showing that it prevents/prevented any future predatory lending.

Long story short, I called my local state senator to complain that the law was poorly written and would not work. I work in the industry being affected.

The Senator all but admitted I was right, but that the lobbyist and political leadership needed to do something and this bill was what they had. In other words, all that mattered at the end of the day was that the politicians could "show they did something".

It was at that point I realized it is all a sham...

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Power corrupts

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 10:35 AM
link   
It would seem once they in, they dont leave until it suits THEM, in the UK Mps become lords from 'back scratching' , I have seen a program about the lords and its procedures, they basically pass laws which benefit them, if somehow the public is positively effected that is merely a by product and nothing which they would have planned for, and once they have had the cream we will be taxed back into place.

Always remember they despise us, they only engage during elections, they will always under deliver but be over paid, be caught steeling public funds for second homes or working dodgy deals, its almost like its expected that to work in politics you need minimal morale fibre, that applies to all sides of the political spectrum.

Meet the wombles of wimbledon - Sorry meet the lords

Dailymotion link if above not available

www.dailymotion.com...

TL : DR Politicians = Crooks

edit on 10-9-2019 by UpIsNowDown because: typo

edit on 10-9-2019 by UpIsNowDown because: unwanted emoji on tldr

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: kwakakev

Why would you have to pay a bribe to pass a law?? Lol

The corruption comes from you agreeing to vote for some pork package in exchange for your good program..

The outside parties pay the bribes..

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: kwakakev

So your getting nothing done then..

Which is exactly where we are today.

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

I learned a new equation today:

GI - W = E

Or Good Intentions minus Wisdom equals Evil.

Wisdom is the part where you understand that most corrupt people are that way because they think everyone else is too. Also, human nature is not basically good which is why we have to be raised to be good human beings by parents otherwise we turn into self-entitled little jerks only out for ourselves.

So the politicians are corrupt because they know most ordinary people have good intentions without wisdom, and they use that to seize political power. It's not biggie because everyone is corrupt, right?

And once again, the good intentions of the people who lack wisdom ushers in the evil created by corrupt people.

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: JustJohnny
a reply to: Irishhaf

Defending their side from what??

Accusations without anything to back it up?!?!

The 2 sides are selling such a different view of reality that someone has to be lying vastly more than the other.. and obviously the side being lied on should defend itself..

Lets look at something simple, Ive seen a few stories about Trumps networth has dropped since being in office... yet Obama went from scraping by to dropping a few million on an apartment in DC right after the election and recently dropped 15 million on a home in Marthas Vineyard.

Or Nancy Pelosi who has a net worth north of 120 million on a salary of less than 200k a year that's with maintaining a house in California a residence in DC and of course travel costs. (I am 100% certain Old Mitch is every bit as dirty, and so was that douche bag that retired from speaker of the house and decided not to run again)

Yet we see not one question about their huge increase in wealth, and we have threads here even about the USAF stopping over at trumps resort and wild claims of rampant corruption and trump lining his pockets... yet his net worth seems to have dipped since taking office.
MSNBC

President Donald Trump’s net worth has declined by more than $1 billion since the year he launched his presidential campaign at the foot of Trump Tower’s escalator, Forbes reported Tuesday. Oct 2018

Yet people swear he is enriching himself, so at least with easily attained available facts trump is not, yet a large part of the media and even Fox doesn't really defend him are quick to talk about his corruption which implies enriching himself and his family, with nary a peep anymore about how rich congress is making themselves.

That to me screams propaganda and my personal belief is that it tracks back to the RNC and the DNC, and someone with a whole lotta cash behind them.

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: JustJohnny

The corruption comes from you agreeing to vote for some pork package in exchange for your good program..

It is a troubling system that has developed in getting things done. What if my program challenged the way congress gets things done. Nothing would likely happen, but I do see a lot of public support for a more transparent and evidence based system of legislation construction rather than the horse trading circus going on.

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagicIMHO the system encourages it greed graft and blackmail. If you come in as a new congress critter the first thing your told is play the game or you get stuck on some dead end committee. The system plays into the human defect of greed.

It's gone from what can I do for my fellow citizens to what can I get for myself. How many go in broke and come out rich?

IMHO there needs to be a top to bottom investigation(by non government entity) into what these folks had coming in and what they have today. Lets say you come in with a private sector job paying 150 grand a year you give that up for a job in the government serving the people and when you leave your worth a million dollars how and the hell did that happen?

It all needs to be exposed to the light of day especially their inside trading of the stock market and all the government contracts your family has received. Most companies have rules against nepotism but not our government.

The game is rigged from top to bottom.

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Its quite simple

Power and influence will corrupt anybody eventually. Elected officials have lots of both.

Term limits and campaign funding limitations are the only way to prevent it

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: musicismagic

I learned a new equation today:

GI - W = E

Or Good Intentions minus Wisdom equals Evil.

Wisdom is the part where you understand that most corrupt people are that way because they think everyone else is too. Also, human nature is not basically good which is why we have to be raised to be good human beings by parents otherwise we turn into self-entitled little jerks only out for ourselves.

So the politicians are corrupt because they know most ordinary people have good intentions without wisdom, and they use that to seize political power. It's not biggie because everyone is corrupt, right?

And once again, the good intentions of the people who lack wisdom ushers in the evil created by corrupt people.

your name is in japanese, buddha bless you for your wisdom いいね

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Politicians have built themselves a haven for those who seek quick fortune through any means available including criminal means, and those who have already been through it and got away clean have inspired those others willing to cross the line, but noticed that this politician arena has some protection, compared to other criminal enterprises, so more and more corrupt Pieces of S, have gravitated to it like flies. Easy money, probably won't get busted.

They even have a slush fund for perverted ones using our tax money.

And the ones already inside and entrenched safely have made sure they get new blood that are from the same cloth that they can help get in, in return for helping each other become even more protected from the common voter.

Eventually judgement will find them

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
Whats your take on this.

Money, Power over others and Fame to be recognized and glorified by their peers.
This is not for all politicians as some do deeply seem to want to help but they appear outnumbered by those who would prefer to help themselves...
edit on 9/22/19 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 11:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ophiuchus 13

Whats your take on this.

Money, Power over others and Fame to be recognized and glorified by their peers.
This is not for all politicians as some do deeply seem to want to help but they appear outnumbered by those who would prefer to help themselves...

It would be similar to police corruption as an example, young new recruit joins wants to change the world and finds out of you rock the boat you end up 6 feet under, no different for politics, rock the boat and end up disgraced and broke or worse.

posted on Sep, 23 2019 @ 07:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: Ophiuchus 13

Whats your take on this.

It would be similar to police corruption as an example, young new recruit joins wants to change the world and finds out of you rock the boat you end up 6 feet under, no different for politics, rock the boat and end up disgraced and broke or worse.

No different then anything, any walk of life and in any profession.
Corruption isn't limited to power, wealth or positions of authority.
If you think that the corruption isn't as prevalent in the common man then I'm not sure what to say.
The reason being because corruption is a human trait and not an element of anything else.

posted on Sep, 23 2019 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

Everyone is corrupt to one degree or another, it's just when people are in a job of authority I expect them to be held to a higher standard.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join