It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dow plunges more than 600 on worsening US-China trade brawl

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 10:22 PM
link   

The president accused Beijing of stealing “vast amounts of wealth from the U.S.,” and ordered American companies to find alternatives to doing business with China. U.S. equity markets sold off sharply.

Link

President Donald J. Trump said that "trade wars are good and easy to win."

I think my 401k is still waiting for the 'win' part.
edit on 23-8-2019 by links234 because: bad formatting

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: links234

They have to blame these sell offs on something..
Got this covered in three other threads already but this is ATS so no problem.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 10:27 PM
link   
and when china folds in the future and the market surges, everyone will just hold their tongue and find something else to bitch about.

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Also, long term investors should be happy when the market pulls back like this, it's the time to buy in and use dollar cost averaging to your benefit.

It's also a good time to pick up good performing stocks that get caught up in the "chicken little" sell downs.

But that's what good investors do/know, pundits just scream about how the whole thing is going to zero and we'll all be broke in a week.

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Democrats say only greedy/wealthy people and corporations have a stake in the stock market.

CNN and MSNBC must think their viewers are wealthy/greedy, because they really talk a lot about the stock market...but only when it's down.

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Slichter
Got this covered in three other threads already but this is ATS so no problem.

Every time the DJIA drops a measly 2%, someone starts a thread, like they just lost their life savings, LOL.

Like I tell my clients, if you aren't willing to lose money, don't invest in stocks.

DUH?

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 10:42 PM
link   

You should be in the crypto market.

I gain and lose hundreds per hour. Trend is upward overall for the last 11 years. But short term would make you puke.

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 10:42 PM
link   
CNN and MSNBC viewers are on welfare and meth

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

You should be in the crypto market.

I gain and lose hundreds per hour. Trend is upward overall for the last 11 years. But short term would make you puke.

I never got into crypto, but I broke my fear of volatility in the leveraged commodity markets, oil specifically.

Nothing like waking up one morning, checking the ol ticker and seeing thousands disappear like nothing. It was a good thing though, really tests your will as far as being able to stomach the wims of a volatile market.

What helps is the windfalls, 30 to 40 percent in a week at times. Who wouldn't like that.

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 10:47 PM
link   
It's like the prez said tonight. He's not worried.

The stock market went from 17,000 during 2016 to over 26,000 since Trump's election. -600 points is not worrisome.

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock
and when china folds in the future and the market surges, everyone will just hold their tongue and find something else to bitch about.

The Chinese culture has been around for 4000 years. The US....240 years, Who do you think has the patience to wait who out.

edit on 23-8-2019 by olaru12 because: check it brenda

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: MisterSpock

The Chinese culture has been around for 4000 years. The US....240 years, Who do you think has the patience to wait who out.

4000 years huh, sounds like they are about due for collapse.

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 10:49 PM
link   
China is desperate. They have been used to taking advantage of the US and now they have to deal with a President who is standing up to them. This needs to happen.
edit on 2019/8/23 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
China is desperate. They have been used to taking advantage of the US and now they have to deal with a President who is tending up to them. This needs to happen.

I agree, it needs to happen.

To be clear, I'm not rooting for their destruction, just a correction. In the long run it will benefit both countries. China can take the pressure off itself and no longer has to pad their figures to keep up with their unobtainable goals as far as economic expansion. They can dial back and just fall into a nice organic pace.

Most people that follow(even casually) economics will see that china's recent move is one of desperation, not of strength.

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Nimby!

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Risk and reward go hand in hand, if you can't be patient and lose 5% temporarily you shouldn't be investing.
Stop loss orders that take you out down 5% are a good wake up call, at that point you were gambling..
Everybody makes mistakes, my ETF shook like a dragster up 4.6% today and my trailing stop
took me out.

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Trump knows the score...all the best stock tips come from the golf course.

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I've personally made over 43 billion dollars on waffle futures.....

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 11:01 PM
link   

China is desperate. They have been used to taking advantage of the US and now they have to deal with a President who is standing up to them. This needs to happen.

lol, trump won't even stand up to lil kim. They still shoot missiles off, mock trump and he makes excuses for them.

www.cnbc.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

lol, trump won't even stand up to lil kim. They still shoot missiles off, mock trump and he makes excuses for them.

www.cnbc.com...

Does no one have the concept of time?

Trump isn't going to just come in, run roughshod over kim and break down decades of lenience in a few months.

You have to recognize, factually, that he has made more progress in 2 years than anyone has in 2 decades.

Or, just push aside logic and reasoning and keep reeing at the sky. Makes no difference to the rest of us.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join