It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What will the world's response be if China comes down HARD on HK Protesters?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2019 @ 11:55 AM
link   
With news that Chinese troops and military vehicles are massing on the Hong Kong border and in nearby Shenzhen, some of us wonder what the world's response will be if China decides to "come down hard" on HK protesters?

What if things suddenly turn SERIOUSLY violent (with deaths and whatnot)?

What will the response of the USA, the UK and other world powers be?

Satellite photos ­appear to confirm that armoured personnel carriers from China’s People’s Armed Police are assembled in a sports complex in the city of Shenzhen in a possible sign Beijing is poised to use force against pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong.

Hong Kong: Troop carriers ‘massing near border’
edit on 14-8-2019 by AnakinWayneII because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2019 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Eh, too bad. I'ts over there and not here. Some of course will scream an holler and blah blah blah.
I think the question here is ''How will Trump act.'' So far, from what I've not heard, he has remained silent.

posted on Aug, 14 2019 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: AnakinWayneII

In this case, we will do nothing. Just watch it happen. Then we carry on.

Humanity needs to grow a backbone.

posted on Aug, 14 2019 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Hong Kong does belong to china, doesn't it?
Would the usa be excited about others telling us how to handle puerto rico?

posted on Aug, 14 2019 @ 12:02 PM
link   

For a start, the World Bank will be rather miffed.

posted on Aug, 14 2019 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Based on past performance, I predict that China will bust some heads and send a lot of folks to prison. The world will gasp, sputter and posture, but it will all blow over. Business as usual.

posted on Aug, 14 2019 @ 12:03 PM
link   
The world will wail & gnash its teeth for about a week. And then they'll forget.

Hong Kong? Wasn't that some racist cartoon character back in the 1960's?

posted on Aug, 14 2019 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Lazarus Short

That would depend on who they choose to send to prison i suppose.

posted on Aug, 14 2019 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

Don't be dissing Hong Kong Phooey!

He was the number one super guy.

posted on Aug, 14 2019 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I don't think the world / USA wants to go to war with China over Hong Kong.

It is events like this that sometimes justify why the US has to play world police and it is unrealistic that the US can just stay out of global conflicts.

posted on Aug, 14 2019 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
I don't think the world / USA wants to go to war with China over Hong Kong.

It is events like this that sometimes justify why the US has to play world police and it is unrealistic that the US can just stay out of global conflicts.

Agreed - to an extent.

posted on Aug, 14 2019 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake
meh
he is no grape ape grape ape

posted on Aug, 14 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

I was always partial to a bit of Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner myself.

Meep Meep.

posted on Aug, 14 2019 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

It isn't quite apples to apples....

Hong Kong has been autonomous from China and was only "handed over to them" in 1997 after being a British Colony for like 125 years. Hong Kong was largely "free" like any other western society, so being under China's commie thumb is not really something I think most people in Hong Kong have ever wanted hence the protests.

The US is in a precarious position because Hong Kong is a major financial hub. On the one hand, we benefit from them being largely capitalistic. On the other hand, are they worth going to war over. Probably not.

Part of me thinks these riots in Hong Kong are actually designed to make Trump blink on the tariffs to avoid having to go to war with China. So China is losing the tariff war. The only way they can get Trump to backoff is to cause havoc in Hong Kong knowing Trump will not want armed conflict and may backoff on tariffs if China, backs off on Hong Kong...

posted on Aug, 14 2019 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: shooterbrody

It isn't quite apples to apples....

Hong Kong has been autonomous from China and was only "handed over to them" in 1997 after being a British Colony for like 125 years. Hong Kong was largely "free" like any other western society, so being under China's commie thumb is not really something I think most people in Hong Kong have ever wanted hence the protests.

The US is in a precarious position because Hong Kong is a major financial hub. On the one hand, we benefit from them being largely capitalistic. On the other hand, are they worth going to war over. Probably not.

Part of me thinks these riots in Hong Kong are actually designed to make Trump blink on the tariffs to avoid having to go to war with China. So China is losing the tariff war. The only way they can get Trump to backoff is to cause havoc in Hong Kong knowing Trump will not want armed conflict and may backoff on tariffs if China, backs off on Hong Kong...

The one single most incorrect post today
There was a brief time , after the opium wars , that it was "ceded" to the British (never was a "colony" though)
Hong Kong was China (214 BCE )until the British leased it in 1898 .
That is why 92% of the population is Han Chinese and , most of which are Chinese nationals.
The lease was for 99 years and expired in 1997 .

edit on 8/14/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/14/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2019 @ 12:43 PM
link   
It’s none of our business, but that has never stopped us before.

posted on Aug, 14 2019 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I will put pee-pee in their Coke.

posted on Aug, 14 2019 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Nothing much. Strong verbal condemnation, much gnashing of teeth. A lot of people born free are about to be swallowed whole by a tyranny and there's nothing anybody can really do about it.

We should have given them all UK passports in 97. Now we have to watch a tragedy.

posted on Aug, 14 2019 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: justwokeup
there's nothing anybody can really do about it.

Can't never could.
I say we rain Wal-Marts from the sky on their buck-toothed, slant-eyed asses if they don't back off.
Call me old-fashioned.

posted on Aug, 14 2019 @ 01:43 PM
link   
the west will probably sanction them again like after tiananmen square happened, possibly even America sending weapons and training people in gorilla warfare and sabotage, to create a full on rebellion against Chinese rule.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join