It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese reacts to tariffs and the DOW plunges 1000 points

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 02:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

The sad part is people who hate Trump want our economy to collapse. They would rather Americans suffer to the point of death just to see him gone.

BS...I have my life invested in this economy. It's trumps trickle down approach, the enormous deficit, and his total lack of diplomatic skills that will ultimately bring the market crashing down and disposable income to totally dry up and kill the small retail business man. Just like trumps tariffs are killing the farmers in the midwest. No place to store the corn and soybeans..now just rotting on the ground with no market.

That's what his loyal fans call winning for some reason.

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 03:33 AM
link   
10%? You ain't seen nothing yet!

Jan 7, 2016 “Donald J Trump said he would favor a 45% tarrif on Chinese exports the the US”

VSG POTUS: “I would do a tax. [ ] … the tax should be 45%”

www.nytimes.com...

OpEd by Peter Navarro on July 21, 2016 “a 45% tariff on Chinese imports would, by my calculations, be an appropriate level.”

www.latimes.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 03:46 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Like it or not the world we live in today is a global economy, we can't just go back 50 years in time. Isolationism will not work, look what happened last time we tried that. Trump will end up bringing the whole house of cards down and bankrupt this country just like he went bankrupt 4 times in his life. Make stuff on our own again? We can even get millennials to get off their ass to work, who is gonna do the work? Oh yeah robots. We're screwed.

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I think the stock market drops were due to the mass shootings this weekend. Give it a few days. It will bounce back.

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Stock market rises to record levels.. liberals.. Obama did that.
Stock market falls for a couple of days ...liberals.. Trump did that.
WHEN it goes up again and sets a new record...liberals.. Obama did that.

edit on 6/8/2019 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 07:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer
a reply to: Willtell

Are you high or drunk?

Which is it? No sane person even thinks what you spew out.

Oh nice, you're the representative for sane people across the globe Eh?

I'm just glad people are still staying up to date with current events while participating in the conversation. It's hard these days when people such as yourself throw vitriol at those they disagree with... All because what I assume are insecurities that are so strong you can't read the different perspectives of people who's different lives have shaped them to see things in a light based off of their experiences .

Hope you find some help bud 👍
edit on 6-8-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: pavil
Some here don't like Trump's China Trade Policy. Fine.
What is your idea to combat the trade Imbalance with China? China has had a free ride building their economy the last 30 years, why would they want to change the built in advantages they have had?

I don't call other countries we buy from not being particularly interested in OUR overpriced junk a trade imbalance. Let's frame this as two people buying from each other to stock their respective businesses a moment.

Let's say this buy/sell relationship is had by Bob and Tim. Let's also say Bob represents the US here, while Tim represents China.

Tim sells a hell of a lot more to Bob than Tim buys from Bob.

Bob needs and/or wants a good deal of Tim's goods to sell, whereas Tim doesn't need/want nearly as much of Bob's stuff to sell. He might buy stuff he doesn't have enough of like food and cars from Bob, whereas Bob buys a lot of inanimate stuff like knickknacks or clothes from Tim.

Bob starts thinking he's getting a raw deal because Tim doesn't need/want more of Bob's goods. Bob still needs/wants what he's buying from Tim, so he starts bitching publicly to try to drum up support to MAKE Tim buy more from him. Tim still doesn't need/want what Bob's trying to make him buy.

Do you see where this is going yet? I'm not a supporter of forcing purchasing when it's clearly not needed by a trade partner, or WANTED FROM US by a trade partner. That's not trade, it's a shakedown.

How do we combat China's disregard of intellectual property and constant economic espionage? How about their currency manipulation or product dumping?

In a perfect universe? Teach people consumer accountability. Money speaks much louder when it comes to that. If people keep buying ripped off IP and products made via stolen info despite laws, then it's a consumer issue at the bones of it. If people quit buying it, the markets for those goods start shrinking and those lined pockets start getting threadbare.
edit on 8/6/2019 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
China has an edge on the US because it is not a democracy and can tell its people to just wait it out.

Your bias towards a foreign country is disturbing.

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 09:57 AM
link   
And another thing...

When I mention the stock market breaking its own record AGAIN, you lefties tell me the stocks don't matter. But when it drops 1,000 points, you guys make a thread about it to blame Trump?

I'll bookmark this thread so I can use it against you after the stock market breaks its previous record and you claim it's no big deal.

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 10:00 AM
link   
On related news, Chicken prices have doubled in Mexico because China is buying up huge, people in Mexico are pissed. Looks like China can't feed it's chickens.

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: conspiracy nut

Like it or not the world we live in today is a global economy, we can't just go back 50 years in time. Isolationism will not work, look what happened last time we tried that. Trump will end up bringing the whole house of cards down and bankrupt this country just like he went bankrupt 4 times in his life. Make stuff on our own again? We can even get millennials to get off their ass to work, who is gonna do the work? Oh yeah robots. We're screwed.

4 times out of hundreds. If anyone knows what will work, it's Trump whether you want to admit it or not.

I agree with you about Millennials but there are plenty of people out there who will work. Truth be told, there's only a select amount of Millennials I'd want in the workforce anyways. The whole point of making stuff on our own again is to have good quality, not go right back to the cheap crap sold to us by China.

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 10:06 AM
link   

And another thing... When I mention the stock market breaking its own record AGAIN, you lefties tell me the stocks don't matter. But when it drops 1,000 points, you guys make a thread about it to blame Trump?

Is this just the stock market though?

The tariffs will mean that if you or I buy something from China, we will be taxed extra. If a US company buys goods from China that they'll use with other items to make their finished products, they will have to pay more, and that cost will be passed to the consumer.

Moral of the story, is us as consumers will pay more while our retirement plans take a hit (and they will likely bounce back).

Question is, where does it end, and who has more leverage?

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: manuelram16
On related news, Chicken prices have doubled in Mexico because China is buying up huge, people in Mexico are pissed. Looks like China can't feed it's chickens.

Avocado prices in CA are up, too, but the whole idea of shutting trade down with Mexico, if they didn't start helping at the border, had the CA and other lefties screaming at the top of their lungs about how we won't have avocados anymore.

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

We have an election.
Thats what we do.

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

What I'm saying is that we should get away from China as much as possible anyways, and make quality goods like we used to or get quality products from Japan like we used to. In the 80's, my Ninja Turtles might have cost me $10 to $12 each, but I passed them on to my nephew when he turned 5 in 2008. The ones he got brand new were broken within a few months and cost as much. Same with lots of electronics. I'd rather pay $25 to $30 for a quality toy for my kids.

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 10:17 AM
link   

I'm not opposed to becoming more self reliant...

But why should the middle class get stuck with the cost of transition instead of corporations who sold us out for higher revenue to begin with?

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: DanDanDat

We have an election.
Thats what we do.

?!? An election is going to determine the best economic posture with China following the tariff war and how China will respond?

Oh - you don't really care what happens with China. This is all about finding ways to hurt or remove Donald Trump form office. At least your consistent with your priorities I'll give you that.

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Blimey, the Dow is up 300 points. Must be another Obama day.

posted on Aug, 6 2019 @ 11:28 PM
link   
www.reuters.com... um=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR359tZeUSASzFYj0eT26uvWJr6ud6JP5cIccqzYEm-i6aXo3W456q6YZpE this dropped a bit a go

SHANGHAI (Reuters) - China plans to remove soybean oil, rapeseed oil and palm oil from its import tariff quota management, its commerce ministry said on Wednesday. The news comes after the ministry said on Tuesday Chinese companies had stopped buying U.S. agriculture products in response to U.S. President Donald Trump’s decision last week to impose tariffs on another $300 billion of Chinese imports, sharply escalating a tit-for-tat trade dispute between the world’s largest economies. The commodities were removed from a draft tariff quota management list posted on the official website of the Ministry of Commerce, which means they will not be subject to restrictions which may be exacted on other products such as wheat, corn and rice. The draft is open to public feedback until Aug. 22.
honestly not sure what exactly this means so hopefully it makes sense to our members smarter with trade then i am

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Oleman

pretty much this.
www.export.gov...
China already has a flat VAT tax on all goods imported to China at 17%, with a 25% import duty flat rate already. This gives an effective tariff on exports to China of 42%

However for what ever reason people want to overlook this.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join