It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Red Flag Laws" Coming To A State Near You? (Shootings in Southaven, El Paso & Dayton)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 12:25 PM
link   
'Red flag' laws seek to prevent violence like the Walmart shooting — but Tennessee and Mississippi don't have them

In Southaven, Mississippi, where residents had been awaiting details since dawn on a deadly shooting Tuesday that left two local Walmart employees dead, District Attorney John Champion said he believed the weapons belonging to the accused shooter, Martez Abram, had been purchased legally.

The prosecutor refused to discuss any other gun-related details, pending an indictment. But what is known about the weapons in Abram's possession is that as of three days before the shooting, one of them was a knife — which the 20-year Walmart employee flashed during an argument with a coworker, who filed an incident report with police July 27.

In the report, Abram's coworker, whose name has been redacted, opted not to press charges. But he did want the report to be on file, Southaven police noted.

In 17 states and Washington, D.C., the police may have had an additional option.

Known as "extreme risk" or "red flag" laws, new legislation allowing firearms to be temporarily removed from owners deemed in danger of harming themselves or others has been enacted — with bipartisan support — in recent years across the country.

Functioning as a version of a restraining order, the red flag policies grant law enforcement — or in some states, an individual in a relationship with a gun owner — the ability to ask a court to order the temporary removal of guns from the possession of a person for whom there is evidence of extreme risk.

In the aftermath of these three shootings in the past few days (Walmart shooting in Southaven, MS; Walmart mass shooting in El Paso, TX; mass shooting in Dayton, OH), could you see more US states being pushed into have "red flag" laws?

Already 17 state have legislation like this.

More and more states are adopting so-called red flag laws in an attempt to curb gun violence. These laws allow police to confiscate guns in an emergency.

In Ohio, former Gov. John Kasich unsuccessfully pushed for the law last year, but the bill went nowhere in the Republican-led legislature.

More States Turn To 'Red Flag' Law
edit on 4-8-2019 by AnakinWayneII because: (no reason given)

+13 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: AnakinWayneII

The moment your rights are taken away for that "hateful" social media post that put you on the 'threat list'....

Is the moment you will realize too late.

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I dont know if thats going to be a fix...I can certainly see it being abused retrobutively.

Its a hard question, but I can say this, not one of my firearms has killed a single human being, with or without me in attendance.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 12:37 PM
link   
In my opinion, it entirely depends on how these laws are written and the standards that are set where weapons are taken away and to be given back.

To lose of standards and the law will be weaponized by anti-gun nuts to disarm the populace for the most minor of infractions or unfounded claims. I do think it should be an option in some well-defined parameters but I am leary of the state abusing such power.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Some false flag laws might be better

And get rid of the gun free zones, they never work.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 12:42 PM
link   

We have far too many laws on the books as it is. Red Flag laws seem to be designed to be easily abused in the same way as restraining orders and child stealing, home wrecking agencies.

Don't like your neighbor? Drop a dime. Ex hubby is a jerk? Drop a dime. We should never give up any liberty without a fight.

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
In my opinion, it entirely depends on how these laws are written and the standards that are set where weapons are taken away and to be given back.

To lose of standards and the law will be weaponized by anti-gun nuts to disarm the populace for the most minor of infractions or unfounded claims. I do think it should be an option in some well-defined parameters but I am leary of the state abusing such power.

what about all the divorces that are not civil?
i can already see a spouse using something like this to poke at the other spouse.
** poof **
your guns are gone.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: subfab

O'er the land of the free and the home of the gun.

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 12:47 PM
link   
OMG!

Shootings by bad people!

Let’s restrict freedoms!

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
OMG!

Shootings by bad people!

Let’s restrict freedoms!
You know, thats all this is, in a nutshell isnt it? 100 million other guns in this country DIDNT shoot anyone last night.

Whats that percentage?
edit on 4-8-2019 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Whenever I'm sailing across a vast ocean and my trusty ol' boat springs a leak, I just think "Well the rest of the boat isn't leaking.." and put it out of my mind.

Problem solved.

lol

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: gallop

what caused the leak?

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
a reply to: gallop

what caused the leak?

“His problem-solving skills (err, lack there of said skills)” for $800, BJ.

Lol

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: subfab

originally posted by: Grimpachi

what about all the divorces that are not civil?
i can already see a spouse using something like this to poke at the other spouse.
** poof **
your guns are gone.

I am thinking more about cases of suicide. I also said I am worried about this being weaponized which includes the point you made. I had an inlaw that committed suicide and all the signs were there beforehand but there wasn't an option available to remove his guns at least not a legal one. There also wasn't a strong enough case to have him committed.

I am not completely against some form of law that can temporarily remove someone's guns if there is a clear set of guidelines that will prevent such actions from being abused.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: chadderson

The moment your rights are taken away for that "hateful" social media post that put you on the 'threat list'....

Is the moment you will realize too late.

I fed states with red cops, it would be more likely that you would lose your guns for beating your wife, or if you family said that you were having psychotic episodes.

These laws are only a threat to our rights if the wrong people are allowed to enforce them.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Meanwhile, in the real world, violent crime has been dropping sharply since the 80s and probably is now lower than it ever has been (considering the size of the population) and you wouldn't know it if you've been watching the news.
edit on 4-8-2019 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

Apparently, the MSM is intentionally misinforming the public. As evidenced by the fact that almost everyone thinks the world is a more dangerous place than it actually is. Why? Well, haven't you seen the news?
edit on 4-8-2019 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I gave my opinion on this once at another forum where I’ve known people for 10 years . They started foaming at the mouth and calling me a liberal gun grabber .

But that’s not gonna stop me from giving the same opinion now .

The numbers on seizures are minuscule even in California and permanent seizures are nearly nonexistent .

These laws were originally designed as a cooling down period for domestic abuse and to prevent suicide’s . I have no problem adding disarming psychopaths to that list .

If they can save women from emasculated ex’s , prevent nut jobs from swallowing their barrels and take away the only thing that gives those sociopathic cowards who commit mass shootings any bravery .

I’m OK with it as long as due process is involved and so is the NRA .

Source

When I researched this last time I started at wiki . The statistics under usage and effect are solid which is what made me take a deeper look and that changed my position . ( take three minutes and look at those two sections )

Red flag laws

Yes I know it’s a slippery slope that’s why I emphasized due process and as with any law these must be rigorously monitored .

But I also came to understand that the numbers are so small it will have a little or no effect on our rights .

I am very pro second amendment , I cherish the bill of rights but that’s my opinion on red flag laws.

I’m not even going to debate this post because I found out the hard way it only makes me enemies .

Christ look at what happened yesterday .

Something’s got to give .

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

Or here's a thought...make institutions, businesses and other large venues who want to be 'Gun Free Zone's be financially liable/responsible for the safety of peoples at their establishments. This S# will stop in a hurry! Like overnight.

Look no further than the incidents of piracy off the coast of Somalia. When they finally figured out a way around the stupid gun laws and started putting armed anti-piracy personnel aboard commercial ships the piracy dropped off to near nothing. It dropped 90% in less than two years. Even the uneducated savages in Somalia figured it out real quick like.

Bottom line - Armed persons who prey on unarmed soft targets are COWARDS! When was the last time you heard of a mass murder rampage at a police station? You don't hear about it because it doesn't happen, and it doesn't happen because the COWARDS know these targets shoot back and they're not playin' around!

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 03:20 PM
link   
This is a mental health issue.

Fix those problems, you'll cut down on the mess.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

Well, I have a problem with it!

I have a MAJOR problem with it!

These laws will be abused for punitive and political reason, 100% guarantee! They already are!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join