It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bear on the Deck today.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 09:43 PM
link   
No other place I could think of placing this. There is no conspiracy, no plots, no murders. All we had today was...

A Bear on the Deck.

Yes! A bonifide flippin Bear... I was literally online reading some ATF when my Goldie started barking like I never heard... She was out by the sliding glass door. The prince of the house, my lab mix coming in at 130 pounds, strong and fierce, immediately went into a mode I never seen before. When I followed his lead I saw it.. A Black Bear Cub eating the outside cat's food (I live on a hobby farm and still have some wild as the devil barn cats)...

Sometimes its pretty cool.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Newt22

We had a cub once that wandered onto the property and once we got the garbage cans secured it just followed the mower around behind me and ate the clippings.

We didn't want to actually feed it but didn't want to just shoot it.

Eventually it wandered off before it was big enough to mess with the dogs.

Just another odd part about living in harmony with the wildlife.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 10:03 PM
link   

I've had two friends who have had bears get into their cabins here in Colorado and completely TRASH everything! One in Meeker and the other up NW of Ft Collins. Neither were around when it happened, but he bears completely trashed their places. Opened every can, made a colossal mess, broke out windows, slobbered food all over. One of the bears even ripped their bed to shreds and apparently slept in it for a few days, like made a nest. Crapped all over the place, broke into everything, ripped cabinets off the walls, tore a hole in the floor...just made an absolute mess!

This one guy was Mr. Greenpeace, total liberal...and he wound up coming to me asking about what gun he should buy to protect him and his wife!!

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Liberal or conservative without an idea. And I am a Liberal Conservative.

Or as I put it... A gun toting liberal... It gets people to pause. :-)

Holy Crow it's that kind of stuff that makes me cringe.

I grew up out here and wild was always next door, but, the farmers pretty much kept it away - too much working in the fields.

The farmers are long gone.

Now the wild is returning.

The Hobby Farm I grew up on remains... we never grew row crops, just raised Arabians and Newfoundlands of all things.

I'm sandwiched between wild preserves and I live in the Creek Territory in between. A natural highway.

I celebrate it.

BTW Love your cooking skills and tip my hat to your husbandry.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 10:22 PM
link   

The thing will always check in now to see if it can get another free meal!

Keep the cat food of the deck! And trust your dog-pal!

Might want to start locking your trash cans too. We do ours because scum bags dump all their stuff in ours... some that need special handling like paint and stuff... may as well be bears!

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 10:46 PM
link   
We had bears tearing down the Hummingbird feeders, in the yard and on the deck. My wife said I had to do something about it so I banned her from having hummingbird feeders after that. If there are bears around, you do not put more food out there than the animals can eat in a short time that you are feeding. That is the rule of thumb, it has been that way for a long time. I had the one feeder on a pully and rope, the feeder was eight feet up, that was no cub that tore it down from the tree.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Good advice. Nice seeing the wildlife, but, I don't want them thinking there is a meal ticket here.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

I've had two friends who have had bears get into their cabins here in Colorado and completely TRASH everything! One in Meeker and the other up NW of Ft Collins. Neither were around when it happened, but he bears completely trashed their places. Opened every can, made a colossal mess, broke out windows, slobbered food all over. One of the bears even ripped their bed to shreds and apparently slept in it for a few days, like made a nest. Crapped all over the place, broke into everything, ripped cabinets off the walls, tore a hole in the floor...just made an absolute mess!

This one guy was Mr. Greenpeace, total liberal...and he wound up coming to me asking about what gun he should buy to protect him and his wife!!

Wow, sounds kinda like what happened when our regular deer hunting camp crew stayed at our camp one night during hunting season. No broken windows, but they lit a fire in the fire place with the damper closed. All the windows got opened in the end of November, the furnace ran all night.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Bears are a freeking pain in the butt! They get into everything!

Personally, I love the animal, but they are just a major PAIN! They're smart, and they're destructive as hell! Black bears are the worst. They're like little terrorists. Up in Wyoming we had Grizzly bears and black bears. (they hate each other!) Alaska was even worse. Friggin' bears everywhere up there! Here in CO it's just black bears, and they are furry little terrorists! Most black bears will just run away if you catch them getting into mischief, but LOOK OUT if one ever attacks!

I don't worry too much about the black bears here, they're just trouble makers for the most part. It's the cats I worry about, and we've got a bunch of them here now! Those big cats are straight-up dangerous, and now we're seeing them more than ever.

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Bears are a freeking pain in the butt! They get into everything!

Personally, I love the animal, but they are just a major PAIN! They're smart, and they're destructive as hell! Black bears are the worst. They're like little terrorists. Up in Wyoming we had Grizzly bears and black bears. (they hate each other!) Alaska was even worse. Friggin' bears everywhere up there! Here in CO it's just black bears, and they are furry little terrorists! Most black bears will just run away if you catch them getting into mischief, but LOOK OUT if one ever attacks!

I don't worry too much about the black bears here, they're just trouble makers for the most part. It's the cats I worry about, and we've got a bunch of them here now! Those big cats are straight-up dangerous, and now we're seeing them more than ever.

Any update on #232?

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 01:01 AM
link   

I'm worried about the little bear cub now. He's gonna come back looking for more cat food, and then get habituated to people, and then shot when he grows up and wanders into a yard looking for cat food.

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 03:23 AM
link   
They’re having a big population increase here in Tennessee. Used to be mostly in the Smokies but anywhere in east or middle Tn you’re likely to spot one. Darn rascals got in my best blackberry spot and cleaned it out, lol

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I remember when the the bears around Meeker were so rare that the locals we were staying with was thrilled to see one. Must of been about 74 or 75. I guess they made a comeback there to.

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Big cats bother me... That is one animal I do not want around, but, sometimes wander in from the conservation areas, but, it is very rare.

That is the other thing to mention... My whole North Wood-line is one long Blackberry Patch. In the woods are some clearings, and, they too are full of Blackberries.

Hoping my dog Remi (short for Remington) made an impression going mad after the cub... took almost my whole might to real him in - Moose!

Very glad, glad indeed, Momma had already past by or that could have been the end of Remi...

The land is getting developed just North of me (another farm gone and made a field of mushroom colored houses - Wish they would paint them something other then taupe). I think that got them stirring.

I found a den about 3 years ago near there.

Not that I take from my own land - can't shoot here per the boss - but the bears need to remember I eat them. Bears are yummy.

edit on 19-7-2019 by Newt22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Newt22
No other place I could think of placing this. There is no conspiracy, no plots, no murders. All we had today was...

A Bear on the Deck.

Yes! A bonifide flippin Bear... I was literally online reading some ATF when my Goldie started barking like I never heard... She was out by the sliding glass door. The prince of the house, my lab mix coming in at 130 pounds, strong and fierce, immediately went into a mode I never seen before. When I followed his lead I saw it.. A Black Bear Cub eating the outside cat's food (I live on a hobby farm and still have some wild as the devil barn cats)...

Sometimes its pretty cool.

Amendment 2.1 - You also have the right to bear cubs.

NO fair, I have to put up with bugs with armour, weapons and deadly poisons... just to go to the loo.

You get cute baby bears eating kitty food.. I'd have a use for my multiple webcams set up with motion detection with those. Could even make a few bucks on insta..

A cat with dog fur glued to it, looks a bit like a bear cub, doesn't it??

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   

To be fair, the bears here are assholes...

Lookit that dude that hung out with the bears in Alaska for years. Sure, he was eventually eaten, but that was probably just a CO transplant. (Actually a very interesting topic, even if most will just call him an idiot and quickly move on)

Ive had bears just kind of follow me around. Not stalking, just kind of hanging out. They only got yelled at when trying to get into bird feeders, trash, etc. Id also get a bit annoyed when they laid against my front door.

Salt shotgun loads work wonderfully.

The Meese (proper plural of moose) are the ones that always gave me pause. MFers are big. Though, they would follow me around too. Im fairly certain they *were* stalking me to eat me though.

@Newt: Dont worry about big cats! If you can see them, youre good! If you cant, thats when they are about to.. Wait.. Maybe worry a little
edit on 19-7-2019 by Serdgiam because: Boop

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam

To be fair, the bears here are assholes...

Lookit that dude that hung out with the bears in Alaska for years. Sure, he was eventually eaten, but that was probably just a CO transplant. (Actually a very interesting topic, even if most will just call him an idiot and quickly move on)

Ive had bears just kind of follow me around. Not stalking, just kind of hanging out. They only got yelled at when trying to get into bird feeders, trash, etc. Id also get a bit annoyed when they laid against my front door.

Salt shotgun loads work wonderfully.

The Meese (proper plural of moose) are the ones that always gave me pause. MFers are big. Though, they would follow me around too. Im fairly certain they *were* stalking me to eat me though.

@Newt: Dont worry about big cats! If you can see them, youre good! If you cant, thats when they are about to.. Wait.. Maybe worry a little

two or more moose are not a meese,
a common trick, a fallacy...
I looked upon a google crease,
to see what you did see...

'Tis a misconception, a humorous tryst,
to fool the common folk
the plural of moose, is yet still moose
but you fell for the joke.

'A moose is large, with antlers top
from northern forests so..
its family is that of the deer, but stop -
to meeses? we say no.'

'It's plural is still moose and not
a mooses or a meese,
'tis best this thing be just forgot
and all of it decease..'

Just sayin'

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: gallop

Oh Reginald...

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam
a reply to: gallop

Oh Reginald...

Damn you, sir.. I demand satisfaction!!

*removes glove*
*It's freezing, puts glove back on*

Deluded wit at 10 paces it is.

edit on 19-7-2019 by gallop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2019 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Thing about bears, they poop where they are damn well pleased. I am sure those around you can be some big black bears.
edit on 19-7-2019 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join