It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nike cancels Betsy Ross flag sneaker after Kaepernick speaks out

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 08:18 AM
link   
This post probably should be in the Rant forum but here we go:

Everyone's favorite millionaire activist is in the news again just in time for America's birthday. Apparently, Nike was to release a special edition sneaker featuring the Betsy Ross flag with thirteen stars representing the thirteen original colonies. Colin Kaepernick who Nike had signed to a multi-million dollar contract, poo-pooed the design citing the flag as a symbol of oppression and racism.

Nike is reportedly nixing plans to release a sneaker in celebration of July Fourth after NFL star Colin Kaepernick spoke out against using the Revolutionary War-era flag design, according to The Wall Street Journal.

The company had planned to release the Air Max 1 USA for sale this week, featuring the early flag designed by Betsy Ross with a circle of 13 stars for the 13 colonies.

The Wall Street Journal reports Nike asked retailers to return the product without explanation after shipping it out.

"Nike has chosen not to release the Air Max 1 Quick Strike Fourth of July as it featured the old version of the American flag," a Nike spokeswoman told The Wall Street Journal.

Kaepernick, a Nike endorser and activist, reportedly reached out to the company after images of the design surfaced online and said the flag used was an offensive symbol connected to an era of slavery, according to The Wall Street Journal.

Listen, in the big picture, it's just a shoe so I shouldn't let this bother me so much. Heck, I haven't bought anything from Nike in years. I am an Adidas fan.
However, it just gets on my nerves. Instead of celebrating American history the week of our nation’s independence, Nike has apparently decided that Betsy Ross is inappropriate, and has given in to the current climate of political correctness. I am wondering how many more years we have until 4th of July celebrations are banned all together.

Personally, Colin Kaepernick can kiss my star-spangled ass!

Have a safe and happy 4th of July everyone!
edit on 2-7-2019 by jtrenthacker because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Arizona just cancelled a tax exemption deal with Nike because of it.

Source

“Nike is an iconic American brand and American company. This country, our system of government and free enterprise have allowed them to prosper and flourish. Instead of celebrating American history the week of our nation’s independence, Nike has apparently decided that Betsy Ross is unworthy, and has bowed to the current onslaught of political correctness and historical revisionism,”

Only in America would someone who's junky drug addict mother abandons him yet he get adopted by a wealth couple and given the opportunity to make millions of dollars playing a children's and then trash that country that gave him that opportunity at every turn.

That takes a special kind of entitled scumbag.
edit on 2-7-2019 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

I’m gonna call it now that this is a TOTALLY fake story... which I assume is why no link was posted , as it would lead to some other BS conservative conspiracy site..

A) there is zero chance Nike names a pair of shoes the “Betsy Ross” lol..

There are a million cooler “patriotic” marketing names that would be “cooler” aka more marketable to nike’s Demographics..

Just off the top of my head... Nike eagles, Nike marines, Nike patriots, Washington’s (instead of Jordan’s”..

B) Nike’s primary demographics are young males and a lot of young black males..

Can you picture young teenage males all over the country rushing out to buy the new “Betsy Ross’s” lol?!?!

I promise you the Nike marketing team couldn’t either.

So that is my dollars to Do-Nuts bet..

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Yup ...

The Washington times.. aka a BS conservative conspiracy site that pretty much only traffics in totally fake propaganda.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 08:47 AM
link   
It's ironic that as an African-American that Kaepernick is adamantly opposed to any American symbolism which according to him is offensive due to the abhorrent institutional slavery once practiced yet is completely oblivious to the current conditions that Nike operates its corporate factories in other countries which have been accused of slave labor like conditions including the use and abuse of child labor. Seemed he would be opposed to working for a company which actively practices slavery in order to fulfill corporate coffers as well as his own paycheck. The hypocrisy is unbelievable with this man who has enjoyed the fruits of American citizenship more so than most.

+7 more 
posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: JustJohnny

WSJ maybe?
SMFH
WSJ
You have to be trolling at this point.
edit on 7 2 2019 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Is there anyone not a conservative conspiracy site publishing this story??

Imho it seems like it is meant to fool people who don’t actually keep up..

1) What marketing team is choosing to call their shoes for young males “Betsy ross’s“?!?!

No one..

2) Kapernick was only protesting POLICE BRUTALITY, the bait and switch to pretending he was criticizing the military was ONLY popularized in conservative media..

Kapernick and every one else involved spent the whole time repeating over and over “”this has nothing to do with the military..”

So why would Kapernick be protesting something that has NOTHING to do with police brutality?!?!?!

Police brutality/accountability is his issue...

That is like saying the chair woman for MADD is protesting an oil spill....

That isn’t her issue..

+11 more 
posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 08:51 AM
link   
When are y'all going to stop peddling in TIPs?
Twitter Induced Problems.
Setting your hair on fire over the latest 24 hour cycle of outrages that you found in the 'my tribe is right' trash heap.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: JustJohnny
a reply to: watchitburn

Is there anyone not a conservative conspiracy site publishing this story??

Imho it seems like it is meant to fool people who don’t actually keep up..

1) What marketing team is choosing to call their shoes for young males “Betsy ross’s“?!?!

No one..

2) Kapernick was only protesting POLICE BRUTALITY, the bait and switch to pretending he was criticizing the military was ONLY popularized in conservative media..

Kapernick and every one else involved spent the whole time repeating over and over “”this has nothing to do with the military..”

So why would Kapernick be protesting something that has NOTHING to do with police brutality?!?!?!

Police brutality/accountability is his issue...

That is like saying the chair woman for MADD is protesting an oil spill....

That isn’t her issue..

First of all, it wasn't called the Betsy Ross. It was called the Air Max 1 USA. Do try to keep up.

Secondly, the WSJ is covering it, so. Yeah...

He did what the article says despite your minimization attempts. What say you now that (I hope) you've "kept up" with the rest of us?

Sorry. Need to add:

*Maybe* he started off with the idea to protest police "brutality." However, by disrespecting the flag and our National Anthem, he pissed on each and every person who served. He cannot have been ignorant to that - especially after just about everyone with a brain pointed it out to him.

He's nothing but an entitled douchebag.
edit on 2/7/19 by 35Foxtrot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Air Max 1 USA

www.si.com...

www.latimes.com...

www.cnbc.com...

www.wsj.com...

fortune.com...

www.washingtonpost.com... ect=on&utm_term=.eaeb50038e42

www.cbsnews.com...[edit by]edit on 2-7-2019 by jtrenthacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: jtrenthacker

www.si.com...

www.latimes.com...

www.cnbc.com...

www.wsj.com...

fortune.com...

www.washingtonpost.com... ect=on&utm_term=.eaeb50038e42

www.cbsnews.com...[/quo te]

All right wing conspiracy sites!

edit on 2-7-2019 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 09:01 AM
link   
NFL: Historically uses minority players for massive profit gains while covering up known facts about chronic traumatic encephalopathy for decades.

Kaepernick: "I'll take your money"

Nike: Historically has produced its products in some of the worst third world conditions - work that has repeatedly been reprimanded by human rights groups.

Kaepernick: "I'll take your money"

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Thats a pretty decent looking shoe for a Nike.
Usually everything they come out with is ugly as sin.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 09:06 AM
link   

The US flag is already being banned in many places and events because people are offended by it.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage
Thats a pretty decent looking shoe for a Nike.
Usually everything they come out with is ugly as sin.

I agree. It's more of a classic Nike look. I really like them.

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 09:15 AM
link   

So now that you were proven wrong in every point you made will you admit it?

Non right wing sites reported it

The shoe was modeled after Betsy ross’s Flag

Kaepernick did have a problem with the shoe and that flag, just like he initially said his protest was against the flag of a racist country

I assume now that you recognize you were wrong you will admit so and say how dumb this is if Nike and Kaepernick

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: JustJohnny

Yup ...

The Washington times.. aka a BS conservative conspiracy site that pretty much only traffics in totally fake propaganda.

You are the same kind of "special" person Colin is. I'm guessing as you were to lazy to even search yourself and you trash a thread for no reason. Is it really that hard to do a search? Maybe you were just taking a knee for a while, catching your breath while others looked it up for you.

www.usatoday.com...

www.huffpost.com...

www.wsj.com...

solecollector.com...

edit on 7 2 2019 by DigginFoTroof because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Dammmnnnn... you got faced!!!!

You shoulda done a google search.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Dude...been there done that...make a total fool of yourself that is. Best to come back and own it , else peeps gonna remember and use it against ya later on.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

So now that you were proven wrong in every point you made will you admit it?

I'm gonna call it now and say no he will not.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join