It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoked and reversed seared tomahawk ribeyes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 04:26 PM
link   
So I picked up some tomahawks the other day. Salted to season and let rest in the fridge for 36 hours to draw a little of the moisture and penetrate some flavor.

The plan is to smoke for an hour and a half until about 115°f then reverse sear to medium rare.

Fresh baked batard with roasted garlic compound butter, corn on the cob, and smasher red potatoes oven roasted with garlic, butter and herbs till lightly crispy.

Wish me luck ATS.

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Now you did it, you made me hungry. We are just having sloppy joes for supper tonight.

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Now you did it, you made me hungry. We are just having sloppy joes for supper tonight.

Listen Ricky, I can get down on some sloppy Joe's.

Contrast is the spice of life. Sometimes the best dinners are comfort foods 👍

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Well, you made my mouth water. Damn you!

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Your description remind me of South Parks Creme Fraiche episode. Randy gets all Randy over the food network. Lol

I’ve looked at the tomahawks before, and they are always $15-20 per pound. Hard to do when T-bones are $6-8 per pound.
Looks good though!

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: TexasTruth

Your description remind me of South Parks Creme Fraiche episode. Randy gets all Randy over the food network. Lol

Fitting description, as like Randy, I have no shame and my obsessions get the best of me.

I’ve looked at the tomahawks before, and they are always $15-20 per pound. Hard to do when T-bones are $6-8 per pound.
Looks good though!

I lucked out. These were 10 bucks a pound which put these 2 pounders at 20 bucks a pop. Scored them from a store that does in house butchering. I think they're in overdrive with the fourth next weekend, so I benefited from surplus cuts.

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I got some t-bones seasoned up for supper tonight myself. Store had a special 10.99 per kg
Got two big ones for the wife and I.

I’ve gone on the carbless diet recently trying to get my six pack out. I find the diet shift pretty easy for bbq season meats and more meats. Had beef tenderloin, chicken kabob, pork tenderloins, then prime rib now it’s t-bone, been a good week for eating. Also had some NY strip for lunch a few times. Hopefully I don’t get gout lol.

Those tomahawks look devine tho super nice cuts. Might have to hit the butcher for some myself.

edit on 30-6-2019 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Update

End of smoking

Resting, no Mattie, that's not for you, but enjoy the smells.

It's not burnt, because I like it that way (also medium rare, because I'm not a sociopath *diagnosed*)

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

May I come over?

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl

May I come over?

Absolutely.

There is tons of food, but I kid you not, I'm laying down asking for mercy from whomever is listening and can deliver.

I'm in a bad? Place right now. I'd ask for pity, but it's 90°f and I ate a whole mess of meat. At the end of the day, I did this to myself.....

I'm not sorry.

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

originally posted by: KansasGirl

May I come over?

Absolutely.

There is tons of food, but I kid you not, I'm laying down asking for mercy from whomever is listening and can deliver.

I'm in a bad? Place right now. I'd ask for pity, but it's 90°f and I ate a whole mess of meat. At the end of the day, I did this to myself.....

I'm not sorry.

Alright, on my way! 😊

Did you let Mattie have any? Please say you did.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I've never heard of a reverse sear before so had to look it up. Instead of sear and then oven to finish the cook, it's in the oven and then sear to get a nice crust. Sounds delicious and your tomahawks look amazing. I hope they tasted as good as they looked.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 03:39 AM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

Mattie gets the bones scraps left on them 😋

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: thov420

Reverse sear is the only way I do bug cuts now. And they were phenomenal. With great cuts of beef I'm usually a purist, so aside from the dry brine, I just used black pepper and olive oil before cooking. There was a mild smoke from the pecan and cherry I used, but they were only in there about an hour... So the beef was still the star flavor of the show.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Looks fantastic!

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Looks fantastic!

Thank you so much, and I know you're not the type to just say that so it means a lot 😁

I think I've finally tuned in myself to understand this smoker. I can walk outside and guess within ten degrees what I'll run at with what amount of fuel.

The hardest part was learning how to dial back when needed without getting trashy bitter smoke by choking too much.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Looks awesome.

I've got my eye open for a good deal on some 2"+ thick Porterhouse.

Build a 2 zone fire in the kettle, stand the steaks on the strip side with the bone facing the coals (skewreing them together, plenty of separation, for balance). Throw some wood chunks (I like apple) on the coals a couple of times, and let them cook to 120-125, then sear them off.

Lest you be deluded into thinking I know what I'm doing, I flat ruined a slab of ribs yesterday farting around experimenting with some charcoal baskets. My mistake was in only using one. After 5 hours the damn things were still practically raw. So I threw them in the oven for two hours and by then it was too late to eat. So, maybe dinner tonight, depending on what they look like after I reheat them and cut into them.

Of course, the marinated skinless boneless chicken breasts I did for my daughter took about 25 minutes and came out perfectly.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

Build a 2 zone fire in the kettle, stand the steaks on the strip side with the bone facing the coals (skewreing them together, plenty of separation, for balance). Throw some wood chunks (I like apple) on the coals a couple of times, and let them cook to 120-125, then sear them off.

Only tip I would give is to place some foil in between the steaks and the fire so you do not get direct heat. The direct heat will likely sear the very outside preventing smoke absorption.

I took these off at 120 and let rest for about 10 minutes before searing depending on how you intend to sear. I used lump hardwood charcoal for the sear as well as some pecan chunks of wood for maximum flame. Just a few minutes on each side. The math I operate on is that the sear will add 10 degrees to internal temp, and you'll get another 5 after pulling.

My mistake was in only using one. After 5 hours the damn things were still practically raw. So I threw them in the oven for two hours and by then it was too late to eat.

I typically redo my fuel every hour (cooler days) hour and a half on hotter days. Something else to consider is an aluminum pan (the disposable kind) with water near the fuel source. The boiling water serves two purposes, preventing drying anything out while also giving yourself a buffer and a stabilizer for heat. Even if your fuel starts to die out, the steam will continue to maintain heat for a little while. Just make sure if you are using vertical smoking, that the steam is not directly underneath the meat, as this will block some of the smoke from the meat.

Edit: These two were 2 1/2 inches thick and just a hair over two pounds. I smoked at 275 (it was 90 outside, so tough to get close to 250) for about an hour and a half before removing at 120. I don't fixate on time or running temp as much as I do the internal temp of the meat. I only probe in a fat layer right next to the meat so I do not puncture the meat while cooking.
edit on 1-7-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

top topics

join