It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monkeys Bust Open Their Nuts With Rocks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 02:09 PM
link   

In the Brazilian Cerrado, a National Geographic explorer is studying how bearded capuchin monkeys learned to expertly use stone tools to crack open palm nuts.

FUN & EDUCATIONAL VIDEO:
www.youtube.com...

Well, it's official now. Humanity has stagnated and stalled, evolutionarily...and a bunch of monkeys in Brazil are catching up with us...fast.

Sure, we may have been busting our own nuts on rocks for millennia...but it's hard to ignore the evolutionary zeal with which these furry little fellows are going about busting their own nuts on rocks.

Looks like we've now got some serious competition.
edit on 30-6-2019 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 02:17 PM
link   
The Monkeys said "NO" to automation !!!! 😎

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 02:17 PM
link   
It gets even better. Orangutans are now fishing with spears they made themselves. There is a school of thought in anthropology that the great apes, in particular, have entered the Stone Age.

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Animals are not unintelligent as many people used to believe. People made that up long ago to justify our eating animals. I know they are intelligent, but they taste good anyway.

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

As pearl jam once sung 'its evolution Baby.'

I always wondered if modern day primates are evolving, I guess I can stop wondering now, maybe a changing climate could have forced these monkeys to adapt to their changing environment.

Maybe Mr Burns will get his wish, a thousand monkeys on a thousand typewriters "it was the best of times, it was the...blurst of times?"

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 02:28 PM
link   
DP
edit on 30-6-2019 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Well, that's gotta hurt.

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuylerThere is a school of thought in anthropology that the great apes, in particular, have entered the Stone Age.

I totally believe that. Chimps are also fashioning tools to fish termites and ants out of hills.
As robots start doing everything for humans...and we forget how to do simple tasks...other primates will close the gap even more quickly.

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Saw pic of them using spear to fish could've been shopped.

Idk but seems like nature got a back up bipedal hominid

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   

I watched a show awhile back that had the worlds top 10 smartest critters. It was pretty cool. I did a search and it does vary slightly on to what animal is on the list.
www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 03:34 PM
link   
i feed these baby skunks on my street. they are simple to walk up to, but you gotta be soooo careful they do not get startled.

a raccoon was eating some of the food i left out. im half a block away, this guy sees me, looks at me, and dashes away.

huge difference in IQ's just in forrest fearsome critters.

i can only imagine apes and dolphins and whale IQ's.
edit on 30-6-2019 by dantanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Other animals use tools and are better problem solvers, such as corvids and octopi, but a monkey cracks a nut and look out suddenly we have competitors...

The stupid primate centric emphasis we put on intelligence is absurd... When this monkey figures out how to use water displacement to solve problems all on it's own like a raven get back to me...

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Crows or ravens seem smarter than the monkey

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I recently read that primates are moving into their own equivalent of the stone age.
Utilizing tools and displaying problem solving qualities.
Then on Joe Rogan, he reinforced that notion when he showed apes using spears to catch fish on their own.
Pretty amazing when you think about it.

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 05:57 PM
link   

You’re not supposed to talk about other members.

It’s in the T&A’s

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 07:39 PM
link   

As robots start doing everything for humans...and we forget how to do simple tasks...other primates will close the gap even more quickly.

The equation doesn't even need robots... just people that are more and more ignorant as the generations go by.

For instance, a tourist to Yellowstone this year decided to give a big hug to a beautiful small blonde bear.

And found it wasn't a small bear at all.

It was a porcupine.

Notice the plate of already pulled out quills on the table.

The wife had to pull it off him as he ran around screaming.

We're not getting any smarter...

And holy chit that had to have hurt!!!

edit on 30-6-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Omg!
What did he do?
Try to hug it?
How did that happen?!?!

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
a reply to: Lumenari

Omg!
What did he do?
Try to hug it?
How did that happen?!?!

He was a tourist from California who didn't read the signs, apparently.

He and his wife saw a beautiful small blonde bear, he gave the camera to his wife so she could take a picture and went and gave it a big hug.

The wife had to pull it off by it's feet as it was stuck to him.

Species identification is important!

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Some people exist only to serve as a warning to others---I'm sure of that.

I've seen sea otters off the Monterey peninsula breaking open mollusks (mussels and clams) with stones. They dive to the bottom and retrieve a mussel or clam and a stone. Back on the surface, they float on their back with the shellfish resting on their belly, and they use their two front paws to smash the stone into the shell. Pretty amazing to watch.

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheTruthRocks
Some people exist only to serve as a warning to others---I'm sure of that.

The majority of those folks either reside in Florida, or they are featured on MTV.

<<   2 >>

join