It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Peoples of Hong Kong

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   
With the people of Hong Kong taking action so immediately and vigorously against tyranny and suppression of their rights it makes me sick in the stomach to finally see what I've been saying all along about how a country should stand together.

It makes me sick as now i can see that it can actually be done and done well and that we have never had the fortitude to do so despite the need countless times, what pride they must feel in their togetherness- a value i have yet to see in such numbers anywhere else on the planet.

We need to have a long hard look at them and learn. Not only did they get these tyrannical laws suspended but they so very correctly refuse to budge until it's declared denied in all capacity legally.

These people of Hong Kong should and to anyone with working eyeballs have showed what people power really is.

The news says 2 million people but their unsure as to many to accurately count.

We are a disgrace in their shadow.

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: CthruU

Not sure where you are, but over here there's division and scared people, unity among them is rare and what's happening in HK could never be repeated here, even though it should have years ago. Specifically thinking of the recession ten years ago, a ton of bankers should've been jailed for that, they weren't and the meek people of Britain just shrugged their shoulders.

To a certain extent, it's like important issues over here kind of get pushed under the rug, so most people don't actually even pay attention to them, which is sad. A unified people working together can make a difference against government, kudos to the folks of HK

We are a disgrace in their shadow.

As I said, not sure where you are, but here in the UK, most definitely

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 10:20 AM
link   
The people of Hong Kong have a lot to fear. Being sucked into the Chinese legal system would make most people crap themselves. Luckily for those of us who live in the developed West, we at least have the rule of law. Chinese law is revolves around repression and human rights abuse.

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Don't be so jumped on that mate, the UK isn't a hell of a lot better:

• Austerity Britain was in breach of four UN human rights agreements relating to women, children, disabled people and economic and social rights. “If you got a group of misogynists in a room and said how can we make this system work for men and not for women they would not have come up with too many ideas that are not already in place,” he said.
  • The limit on benefits payments to only the first two children in a family was “in the same ballpark” as China’s one-child policy because it punished people who had a third child.
  • Cuts of 50% to council budgets were slashing at Britain’s “culture of local concern” and “damaging the fabric” of society.
  • The middle classes would “find themselves living in an increasingly hostile and unwelcoming society because community roots are being broken”.

www.theguardian.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Dbl post.

edit on -180002019-06-17T10:34:35-05:000000003530201935062019Mon, 17 Jun 2019 10:34:35 -0500 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   

I am just seeing that China is suspending that extradition law because of the protests... I honestly did not think that even in the realm of possibility.

Maybe just waiting for the dust to settle before re-enacting it?

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum
Don't be so jumped on that mate, the UK isn't a hell of a lot better:

Come on. The UK is nothing like China. The UN don't know what they are talking about, but like to make a point regardless of the accuracy or political motivations of their "rapporteurs". Even comparing welfare and poverty in the UK with China is taking the proverbial.

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Sure mate, the UN clearly making things up and you're an expert on Chinese society

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum
Sure mate, the UN clearly making things up and you're an expert on Chinese society

UN = Would not be the first time. In this case the rapporteur who authored the report clearly had an ax to grind, even if I agree on some of what he said.
China = Yes, more than most having lived in Hong Kong for a bit.

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Was discussing this with my wife last night, and we could legitimately not come up with a scenario where this would happen in the USA. Not 2 million-ish people in a single place at a single time, for really any reason. Even the people that would have common cause to come together, I don't see it ever happening in my lifetime.

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

I don't know about that. I can see 2 Million US Americans showing up to get in line for the newest I-Phone at half price. I mean, after all. its all about ...........................the STUFF man!

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 02:14 PM
link   

UN = Would not be the first time. In this case the rapporteur who authored the report clearly had an ax to grind, even if I agree on some of what he said.

Kind of like you have an axe against China to grind?

China = Yes, more than most having lived in Hong Kong for a bit.

Hong Kong is NOT China

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

China is allegedly holding up to a million in re-education camps because of their ethnicity and creed. They've also been accused multiple times of harvesting organs from inmates who are in prison.

While the west certainly has our own problems, I'd choose west over China any day of the week.

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I'll think better about the people of Hong Kong when they quit eating their pets.

However, this was a quite impressive stance given the horrific Chinese government. Shame on Great Britain.

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Justso

they aren't pets any more than ol' Bessie is when they are raised for food.

My fear with Hong Kong is that China will simply assimilate and slowly take control over time. That is what they had been doing before this and since the "hand over" from the UK, though HK officially gets handed over completely in 2047 if I recall, and this extradition was part of the slow progress to get there. Seeing the people stand up a against it in this way is very heartening, as they have been going through a slow boil in that direction for some time now, and it mirrors what has been going on in Europe and North America.

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 04:33 PM
link   

edit on 17-6-2019 by CthruU because: freeze

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

I am just seeing that China is suspending that extradition law because of the protests... I honestly did not think that even in the realm of possibility.

Maybe just waiting for the dust to settle before re-enacting it?

Thats why their still standing strong. "Suspension" is not good enough and their clearly aware of exactly just that.

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hypntick

Was discussing this with my wife last night, and we could legitimately not come up with a scenario where this would happen in the USA. Not 2 million-ish people in a single place at a single time, for really any reason. Even the people that would have common cause to come together, I don't see it ever happening in my lifetime.

That's why IMHO "we are a disgrace in their shadow".

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
I'll think better about the people of Hong Kong when they quit eating their pets.

However, this was a quite impressive stance given the horrific Chinese government. Shame on Great Britain.

Have you never seen a cow or a sheep as a pet or a oh well you get my drift.

I dont think the pets your implying is as rampant nowadays.

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: CthruU

originally posted by: Justso

Have you never seen a cow or a sheep as a pet or a oh well you get my drift.

I dont think the pets your implying is as rampant nowadays.

Don't tell him what kind of food Cuy is. He'd lose his s# knowing that one.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join