It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AOC embraces partnership with Ted Cruz after discovering shared anti-lobbying views on Twitter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 10:36 AM
link   
This is probably one of the most surprising political headlines I've read in quite some time. The two have some of the most name recognition in relationship to their job titles representing very opposing views. While neither are my favorite, in fact far from... I can appreciate the burying of the hatchet to come together during a time of gridlock, and that for a goal I can really get behind.

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, a Democrat for New York, has discussed the unlikely legislative alliance she's formed with Sen. Ted Cruz, a Republican for Texas, in their push for lobbying reforms in Congress.

The lawmakers on Tuesday announced that their legislative teams were meeting to discuss a potential measure that would see members of Congress barred from taking part in lobbying work even after leaving office.

"I think it really shows what the true spirit of not being partisan is," she added. "Bipartisanship doesn't mean let's come together to go to war and lower taxes on the rich, but bipartisanship means, OK, I will swallow all of my distaste in this situation because we have found a common interest."

It was during an exchange on Twitter that Ocasio-Cortez and Cruz — who have been poles apart on most political issues — discovered they shared common ground in their views on Washington, DC's lobbying industry.
Business Insider (Inside the link is the twitter exchange that is said to have opened the channels of communication between the two.

I'm not exactly confident that their agenda will be accomplished, or what exactly this is going to mean for today's environment.

But since I constantly bitch about the two parties, and all of their reps, I thought I'd take a different approach on a Friday and highlight one of the few moments they (appear) to actually be trying to do a job for the country and not for their party.

This doesn't necessarily raise their stock with me, as I'd like to see it through, but it is positive none the less.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

They are going against one of the biggest perks of getting elected.
Needs to be done, but I don't see the parasites in DC cutting themselves off from that gravy train.

Anyhow, good to see an agreement between opposite ends of the spectrum.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Needs to be done, but I don't see the parasites in DC cutting themselves off from that gravy train.

I agree, and that is the source of my skepticism of fruition.

Anyhow, good to see an agreement between opposite ends of the spectrum.

It is, and these two in particular is pretty symbolic IMO. I don't like Ted, but he's been at this game for a while and is seasoned, reaching an olive branch across the aisle from time to time is to be expected, BUT, AOC is a big surprise as she is the target for the right at the moment. AOC on the other hand is young and cavalier, so the fact that she is putting her bases stock at risk by going with Cruz of all people is equally surprising and dare I say impressive.

Either way, this is an issue I can applaud the two for taking a stance on whether or not they are successful in their endeavor.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I like AOC's energy. She is fairly ignorant, specifically on Israel which she ADMITTED on PBS but, if she can work with the other side on some better policies for AMERICANS I am all for it and anyone should be. She needs to however shut her mouth on topics she knows nothing about and making up nonsense. Trump does some of the same stuff but she takes it to another level of stupid. Oil is not going away anytime soon. Accept it and find some common ground and stop being an idiot.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   

I just wish that we lived in a timeline where throat-punching was considered a high form of congratulations.

Because I'd offer them congratulations. . . . in that timeline.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I don't see how I can't star that...

It was a good funny.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Not a fan of either of them honestly but this something that needs to be addressed. It really needs to go farther than even this but its a start. Got to get away from lobbyists totally, especially corporate ones

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I'm not a Cruz fan but this just placed him above 99% of the GOP.

I think AOC can come across as naive but I think this solidifies the fact that she truly cares about the people of this country and isn't just looking for a payday.

In the end I think this is a good thing. Unfortunately this example wasn't set a few years ago. If it had been, maybe we wouldn't have this constant gridlock whose sole purpose is to score political points.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

To be fair, I think it goes past her coming across naive. She is young and has a lot to learn, but this definitely is a sign she has the potential to move in the right direction if she can execute properly.

On the inverse, I've always viewed Cruz as an establishment wet blanket, though with this, he is showing he's willing to put his foot down on something he (and I) believe in. So for that, I'm willing to give him a little bit of credit where credit is due.

It's OK to have strong opinions, that's why our nation exists. But one of our biggest problems is that in recent times of division, many are unwilling to set aside differences in opinions when we happen to share one.

So I wanted to make this thread to show a positive (if only symbolic) rare moment to be had between the two dueling ideologies.
edit on 7-6-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 12:39 PM
link   

I agree.

I think the symbolism here might be more meaningful than the actual proposed law. We have someone that is persona non grata to the Right (AOC) teaming with someone that is persona non grata to the Left (Cruz) over a bill that actually limits the power of Congress.

That sends a powerful message. Hopefully the rest of Congress can rediscover their morals and this isn't just a one off thing.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 01:02 PM
link   

I can't stand either of them....but appreciate an effort to address something thats been a burr under my saddle for decades.

top topics

join