It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are lucky people so arrogant?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: CynConcepts

I sit and observe. Even questioned how could one be so lucky and the other not. After 10 years of observing, I have realized the differences. It is attitude. Not luck.

This is so spot on!

Some of the happiest/"luckiest" people are people that have been through horrible things. They still move forward. There is even a book about it, called Grit.

I agree with both of you here.

I believe that luck and bad luck are intertwined. We often measure good luck from a materialistic perspective. However, the spiritual, mystic, esoteric, what have you, aspect may not be so apparent.

For instance, you are unlucky to have missed your bus, but that equates to not arriving in time at your destination where there has been a gas explosion. Your relatively minor bad luck results in a lifesaving situation. This is an obvious example where we see both events in context of each other.

Less evident is when the effects and causes of misfortune/fortune happen whilst we are blissfully unaware of either. Therefore, a person who continuously laments bad luck may indeed have thwarted a whole series of even unluckier events. In these cases, only an observer will see the bigger picture and will declare that person extremely lucky.
Another example of this theory is the proverbial fork in the road. Choosing one path by choice, chance or major force can produce the same topsy-turvy, bad/good luck scenario.

In my opinion, The Universe or [insert your personal mystic flavour], ‘speaks’ to us, and maybe, helps us choose the better of the two paths – even if not immediately apparent – we just have to ‘listen’ more attentively. In summary, I believe that the so-called lucky people are the ones who are more in tune with a naturally occurring Higher Force and are guided in making good choices, thus appearing naturally lucky.

Sorry not to have addressed the ‘arrogance’ aspect of the OP, but I agree with the majority of the other opinions here…nothing more to add.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 10:06 AM
link   
LUCK...

As a semipro gambler, I can feel it and I don't play if I don't "feel lucky" My lady, also a gambler, will not sit at a table with a person that has a "negative vibe" as they affect everyone and everything around them.

Luck, karma, mojo, it's a mystical substance that requires classic rituals to change it.

What some think is arrogance,is in reality is self confidence, borne of hard-work, education, and experience.

edit on 30-5-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Luck to me is when you realize that .5 second earlier / later makes the difference between being alive or dead.... if you ride motorcycles or do anything remotely dangerous, you know exactly what I mean.

Success in life is often a series of steps. Yes, some people may have it easier than others, but by in large, anyone who is successful is because they have taken a series of steps over time that lead them to a certain point. Most people who are envious, never see all the other sh*t they went through prior to their success. They just see the end result.

The vast majority of people have to work extremely hard, take risks, etc to get to certain levels of success. Very few people are just given everything. Yeah, it is lucky to say be born a royal... or a billionaire's kids.

My wife and I were talking about this last night because we were looking at our finances. We've done pretty well for ourselves. We had very little help. We were "lucky" that we didn't have a ton of school debt, but a lot of that was attributed to our own hard work (scholarships) and other choices. I was telling her how I see a lot of people with parental help (gifts and inheritances). All we can do is just be thankful we have what we have and be happy with our own situation.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses
a reply to: BrianFlanders

Genuine question with no sideways motives. Do you believe you've been unsuccessful?

The thread isn't (specifically) about me. It's more of an abstract point. An observation about the way things are that applies to everyone. Obviously, I am affected by it, as I'm one of everyone. However, generally, my observation is that lucky people act like they did something to earn good luck. Which they didn't. They could have just as easily been hit with bad luck. The idea that you earned good luck would have to mean you earned bad luck. Which is obviously not a fact.

I suppose you can see it as though lucky people are "special" in the context of not everyone is this and not everyone is that. But even if this person or that person is special they didn't make good luck happen. It just did. There is no call for arrogance in that.

Your wrong...

If I want an apple, I go to a apple tree, and find myself an apple. You think that is luck? If you go out to the middle of a dessert, to find apples, it is not because youre unlucky you wont find any, but because you obiously dont know anything about apples, and how they come to be. YOU NEED TO STUDY!!!

Do you believe math is just luck? cause iam a poker player, and some people will say that iam just lucky, but i use math and tactics to seek out my luck, i go to the places i know has the biggest chance of succes, i create my own "luck" if you will, but it is not luck. It is hard work, and it involves YOU studying the stuff you want or need, so you know where to find your "luck"

If you just sit there, and do nothing, it is because you didnt do anything to create your luck, that you dont have any. Money wont just fall down in front of you by itself, although, that would be what i consider luck.
You need to take chances, and you need to use math and your brain to figure out when and how to take those chances - if you do, you will be lucky too.
edit on 30 5 2019 by NoFearsEqualsFreeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 10:33 AM
link   
OK. Let's rewind a bit here....

The title of this thread is what?

"Why are lucky people so arrogant?"

In it, we have a bunch of people who apparently got offended by the question. Which I actually did NOT expect when I posted it. I did not actually expect to encounter a bunch of arrogant "winners" (or delusional losers). But fair enough. The overwhelming response to my question has been things like "You make your own luck" and "If you get diagnosed with a terminal brain tumor, you won't die if you refuse to accept it".

Seriously? What did they spike your kool aid with?

Reading these responses, I'm starting to understand why the world is in the pathetic state that it is in. Even here on this forum where people who claim they like to think outside the box come to do that, they simply refuse to accept reality. I don't know what else to say but if this is the prevailing attitude and mindset on ATS in 2019, nothing will ever change.

So why don't you just go post pointless gifs and memes on Reddit?
edit on 30-5-2019 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Why are lucky people so arrogant

Maybe you're hanging around the wrong ones.

They didn't do anything special except exist. And if you aren't one of them, you didn't really do anything wrong except exist.

The difference between successful people is that they don't give up. They keep trying.

our suffering is probably the only thing of any real value that you possess

If you're suffering no need to bring others down with you.

The thread sounds like excuses for not trying and giving up. That is your choice.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoFearsEqualsFreeMan

Your wrong...

But I can spell "you're" and you can't.

YOU NEED TO STUDY!!!

LOL

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   

OK. Let's rewind a bit here....

The title of this thread is what?

"Why are lucky people so arrogant?"

In it, we have a bunch of people who apparently got offended by the question. Which I actually did NOT expect when I posted it. I did not actually expect to encounter a bunch of arrogant "winners" (or delusional losers). But fair enough. The overwhelming response to my question has been things like "You make your own luck" and "If you get diagnosed with a terminal brain tumor, you won't die if you refuse to accept it".

Seriously? What did they spike your kool aid with?

Reading these responses, I'm starting to understand why the world is in the pathetic state that it is in. Even here on this forum where people who claim they like to think outside the box come to do that, they simply refuse to accept reality. I don't know what else to say but if this is the prevailing attitude and mindset on ATS in 2019, nothing will ever change.

So why don't you just go post pointless gifs and memes on Reddit?

Have you thought about, that you might be the arrogant one`?

You go out and says that everyone DID NOTHING to get to where they are in life, they are just lucky. Some people will get offended by that, cause people do actually work hard for stuff.
Your saying that Michael Jordan was just born lucky enough to be one of the best basket players ever. What about all the training he did? It didnt have anything to do with it? Or are you saying he was just lucky that he trained?
Call it luck if you will, but it is determenation that get people where they are, you cant just magical be great at stuff, you need to train and do all the hard work first. So call people arrogant if you like, but people do work to get where they are in life. Some people are lucky to get a good start position, but you wont get to the finish line if you dont do some work yourself. It is not just all luck...

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Yeah, it is lucky to say be born a royal... or a billionaire's kids.

Mmmm, not necessarily. I have had the "good luck" to have made acquantance with some extraordinarily wealthy offspring of European "old" wealth wealthy familys and in a rather strange way, the "wealth" sometimes seems to get in their way. One lady I know and have followed since I left Italy was dedicated to pursuing a career in fashion; she's a natural beauty and spent severaal years on the cat walk as a model but she really wanted to be and studied to be a designer. Her wealth and provenance as a Royal, descendant of Marie-Therese, last Empress of Austria caused the CEO's of the Fashion Industry to fail to take her seriously. Years later however, she did finally succeed and does design work for Fendi.

Her Uncle's son had the same problem when he graduated from Texas A&M and returned to Italy start a Winery. Banks and Industry contacts would not take him seriously.

Sometimes, great wealth and Royal provenance can seem to be a big stumbling block.
edit on 30-5-2019 by TonyS because: eta

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Your wrong...

YOU NEED TO STUDY!!!

LOL

Guess youre lucky then, or did you go to school to learn that?

Also, to me that post sound pretty arrogant. You need to look yourself in the mirror and ask the question, is there something i can improve... Good Luck

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 10:45 AM
link   

I didn't call you arrogant. Or did I? I guess maybe you might have been reading what you wanted to read?

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Your wrong...

YOU NEED TO STUDY!!!

LOL

I learned that in first grade.

Point being that if you're going to tell someone to study, don't spell it wrong.

edit on 30-5-2019 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 10:54 AM
link   

I didn't call you arrogant. Or did I? I guess maybe you might have been reading what you wanted to read?

And neither did i say you did.

If you just want to pick a fight, i can leave, i dont want to waste time on trolls. But if you want to discuss this, you should take it seriously, and try to answer some of the points, I and other people in this thread brought up. Then we can discuss.
But it doesnt sounds like you take this seriously, it sounds like you just want to blame other people for your bad luck.
You wont learn anything or improve yourself that way, and neither would I, so iam out.
Have a nice day

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Your wrong...

YOU NEED TO STUDY!!!

LOL

I learned that in first grade.

Point being that if you're going to tell someone to study, don't spell it wrong.

Point being? you totally missed the point...

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts

It was quite traumatic and painful experience, since I was no longer floating. I couldn't tell why or what was crushing my body. There was a perception of light through my eyelids, crazy psychedelic orange and yellow hues. My body felt hotter than when I was floating. I actually fought against the pressures fearful of the gripping pressures surrounding my body. Then, I was shocked by the brightness of the light through my lids. I stiffened in surprise. Then the pressure began again and I in an instance I felt like I was floating again but it was shockingly cold. I twisted and attempted to turn to find warmth...I did it seems, but felt an unnatural gripping on my body and face. I screamed....then stopped, for I heard another scream but the other scream was silent. I yelled again...and there was that other.

Do you wish me to continue? Many who have gone under hypnosis can relay similiar stories of their birthing process.

I am going to put this gently. I don't believe you.

The facts of the matter is that when some humans experience a traumatic event that is extremely stressful instead of activating the glutamate system to store memories in their cortex, instead they activate the extra-synaptic GABA system and form seemingly inaccessible memories.

This different system is regulated by a small microRNA, Mir-33 and may be the brains protective mechanism when an experience is overwhelmingly stressful.

Babies front cortex is not fully developed at birth. That is why science says one cannot normally recall life in the womb nor birth. It is called infantile amnesia. Yet science is discovering through mouse studies and theorizing that they can retrieve these traumatic memories if the brain is stimulated in the same way as when the traumatic experience first occurred.

Thus, if one is hypnotized, often their brain activates this different system and brain chemicals to retrieve their lost memories.

Certainly an off topic post response, but much needed to make you understand that just because you believe you know what reality is and how it works, doesn't make it so. Science on the other hand actually uses logic and observation to reach conclusions and determinations. Reality is not set and stagnant, due to the fact that science is always evolving as they discover the truths of reality.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   
For me personally I don't believe in being lucky or unlucky but rather the random nature of life.

I know people that consider me lucky to work where I do, to have had the career I have had, to be financially viable but all of those items came with hard work , me pushing my personal brand while sacrificing some other variables and with an element of randomness. For example my current job is with a company that found me on LInkedIn and reached out to see if I was looking for a new opportunity. At the time that company was searching for an employee my resume and work experience happened to match what they were looking for. I had also been at my previous company for 8 years and was approach the end of that chapter. In effect it was variables being where they were supposed to at a specific time for a specific outcome to occur.

Now was that lucky or was it random chance that our paths crossed?

Some people view that as luck but as I said, for me, I just view it as the hardwork put me in a position where random chance was more in my favor.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 12:11 PM
link   

What you are not getting is that luck is a matter of perception. Not reality.

A terminal baby born in America would be perceived to be luckier than a terminal baby born in a third world country. Yet, one who has a disabled baby will perceive they both are unlucky. Just as the parent of a happy healthy baby would perceive all 3 to be unlucky.

It is all perception and luck has no real bearing.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 12:19 PM
link   
luck favors the bold...if you don't take chances, you will never know when you are lucky.

on the other hand, always figure out the odds so you can give luck an even chance.

Luck is a fleeting thing when gambling, todays winners are tomorrows blinking toads, dumb beast with no hope...HST
edit on 30-5-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Im genuinely curious about the mindset here, Brian. Im just not catching what point you are trying to get across. Especially when you say something that essentially amounts to "things will never change unless we dont ever work to change things."

Im probably not alone in that, and when its coupled with seemingly genuine attempts at discourse being met with how youre responding.. Its not a surprise how things are going.

I dont really believe in luck, karma, or even randomness. I suspect the latter is just our attempt to bring patterns beyond our comprehension into human abstraction (its what we do). I think a relatively strict probabilistic is probably (heh) pointing in a more accurate direction.

In that, its a matrix of items outside of our control, and those few aspects that are within, that solidify into what is happening based on the interactions of all. Being "positive" innately opens up more probabilities and possible avenues for events to mesh together, due to our participation.

When someone gets a winning hand in poker, its not going to "do" a damn thing if they just stare at it ad infinitum.

I mean, some would and have considered me very, very "unlucky." I cant control many of those things, but in the things that are in my realm of influence, or seem to be.. Im generally going to take the course(s) that have a higher probability of yielding the outcomes Id prefer.
edit on 30-5-2019 by Serdgiam because: Justice for italics!

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 02:11 PM
link   
"Reading these responses, I'm starting to understand why the world is in the pathetic state that it is in."

If you make a blanket statement or ask a question such as, "why are lucky people so arrogant," and then expect everyone to agree with you, you're going to have a bad time.

That is not how a discussion works.

The world is in pathetic state because others disagree with your conclusions about "lucky" people?

That says a lot about you.

<< 1  2    4 >>

join