It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

millennials terrified of doorbells

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 09:15 AM
link   
So I'm watching talk news and they say millenials are terrified of doorbells. Yes, doorbells!

I'm cracking up and only half believe it. So I look it up. It seems this is a common thing????!

mashable.com...

the doorbell. The first time it happened, I was standing in my PJs making coffee in my kitchen when the jarring sound of our doorbell invaded my home. I froze.

If you search it, there are dozens and dozens of stories like this. I wonder if this generation missed out on ding dong ditch.
I wonder if they missed their friends coming over and ringing the doorbells. To me it was always a welcome and pleasant sound. DING DONG!@$#@
Most younger people like to just text now instead. It's weird getting older and seeing small things happening, but it's really a huge shift happening.

+1 more 
posted on May, 22 2019 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I'm so torn right now.

On one hand, this is hilarious, and if true, it's our duty to troll these people until they snap out of it or snap... It's for the greater good.

On the other hand, I have a hard time believing this is "common", but then again, my nation never ceases to amaze me with their ability to pump out sissy's like it's a well tuned factory.

I'm genetically a millennial, but I don't identify as one. I regularly go out into nature, I love to shoot guns, recklessly ride ATV's, and a host of other non facebook activities (don't have a FB by the way)... I used to defend millennials, but over time, the logical part of my brain has made that quite hard.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Here...waste 5 minutes of your life understsnding why. I was afraid of what I was going to do after graduation.....worrying about s doorbell is just mental.

medium.com...@vegetablelove/knocking-and-being-knocked-on-being-afraid-of-doorbells-59e0e54fd384

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I would understand if it was a who is at the door thing but the actual doorbell sound is just weird...

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Since when has a millennial ever met a button they didn't like to push?

+1 more 
posted on May, 22 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Since when has a millennial ever met a button they didn't like to push?

The clock in button....

Bud ump tsssttt.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Millennials, also known as Generation Y or Gen Y, are the demographic cohort following Generation X and preceding Generation Z. Researchers and popular media typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years

Now, having clarified... I was born in the mid 80's and fall into this category.
Know what?
I #in' HATE doorbells. When I bought my first house, one of the first things I did was trash that stupid thing.

I'm not 'afraid' of it so much as I don't like loud unexpected alarms going off in my home...

Having said that, I do plan to have a bell set up to ring when people drive through the gate on my hundred acre wood.
Just not in my house...

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Yeah im guilty of this behaviour , but for the most part is is from depression , wich drains my energy to commit to social activities , after a day working with people i can hardly hear or see another one.

I got 2 doorbells , one below at the main entrance of the appartment complex and one at the door of my appartment , they have 2 different tones , if they ring the second one right at my door and i don't expect people i just won't open , not even gonna take a look to see who it is to avoid them hearing me.

I did had one unlucky encounter with doorbells when i was at a friends house, he opened the door and armed robbers fought their way in , i turned and look to see whats up and looked into the barrel of a handgun and then just seconds before they could corner us 3 they saw his dog wich is a sort of crossbreed between a husky and a wolf if i am correct.
The animal looks like a killer but its a super sweet animal but they didnt know that.

my friend who lived there saw that they doubted for a second and went for the handgun and in the struggle the assailants ran out the door and jumped in a car wich was waiting. we quickly trew the door shut because we didnt want to risk the handgun being real or not.

The whole encounter didn't plague me much though , i hardly think about it.
I did learn the valuable lesson to never ever open the door without looking who it is , if i open that is

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

Millennials, also known as Generation Y or Gen Y, are the demographic cohort following Generation X and preceding Generation Z. Researchers and popular media typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years

Now, having clarified... I was born in the mid 80's and fall into this category.
Know what?
I #in' HATE doorbells. When I bought my first house, one of the first things I did was trash that stupid thing.

I'm not 'afraid' of it so much as I don't like loud unexpected alarms going off in my home...

Having said that, I do plan to have a bell set up to ring when people drive through the gate on my hundred acre wood.
Just not in my house...

Is it that the sound is jarring? That might be a generational thing too. When I was little we didn't have electric clocks. We had to use wind up clocks with a little key. (on a side note, I remember every night when my dad would go through the hallway tell us what time it was so we could set our clocks, that probably sounds really weird to young people today) When the bell rang on those clocks (which was an actual bell) it was jarringly loud. I think we had a lot of very loud jarring sounds like that before the internet and computer and digital type of sounds/alarms.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 10:32 AM
link   
If it triggers the fight and flight syndrome and severely startles them, then maybe they should be looking at what elements of diet are causing the overreaction to a doorbell. I have epilepsy and the doorbell actually makes me jump. I never used to have that problem. If I eat the right foods to control my epilepsy startles do not make me jump. The dishwasher noises used to make me have to run out of the house, so did the vaccum cleaner when my epilepsy was not adequately treated. Some of the epilepsy meds helped, but some of them increased my seizure risk, I was intolerant to all of them after a few months, they almost killed me.

So, if people are eating too much pesticides or herbicides in their diet, or too much nitrates of any kind, it can make them jumpy. Lettuce is full of nitrates. Pesticides actually block acetylcholinesterase, which can then cause acetylchonine to build too high, off balancing this neurotransmitter in respect to dopamine can cause all sorts of different problems. So keep eating your leafy greens and tomatoes, then chow down on meds that actually increase the acetylcholinesterase to dope you up again so the door bell does not bother you. Also watch to make sure not to consume too much aluminum, avoid aluminum containing antacids, baking powder, pickles, and quick melting cheeses that contain alum or aluminum chemistry.

Our Nutrition program in this country is severely flawed, the people running it are compromised by the erronious beliefs they have. Yes, we need green veggies in our diet, but not every day and that five a day or seven a day policy they are starting is not that great. It has side effects. Cooking does take away some of the plant defense system chemistry of some veggies. Our ancestors could not eat them, but learned how to prepare them so they are edible. Then comes a generation that tosses away all that was known in the past and they have to take all kinds of antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds because they are eating things raw that should be cooked to be safe.

These people cannot see what they are doing, the plant defense chemistry blinds them. Our deer will not eat leaf lettuce or asparagus, neither will the rabbits living in the yard. They will eat iceberg lettuce though. Now if these animals know not to eat these foods, shouldn't we be paying attention to them?

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 10:48 AM
link   

I like the sound and rhythm of the old grandfather clocks.

A couple times a month, me and my buddies go up to their parents cabin on one of the mountains here. The place is therapeutic.

No cellphone data, patchy service allows you to make a quick call and relay some information, but a bit to patchy for extended talks.

You walk in the floor level into the kitchen and living area, during the summer all the windows are open and you can hear the sounds of nature. Most of the group is chefs so while we're up there something is always cooking in that area.

When you go to the other side of floor level, there is a study with a grandfather clock and a wood stove with all kinds of cozy chairs and couches and dim lighting. You're likely to catch someone just reading a book and sprawled out in there.

Upstairs is where all the bedrooms are, when everyone is awake there is just a radio turned down low with classical music throughout the day.

My favorite area is the one with the wood stove and grandfather clock. The tic and tocks are like a metronome that help you re calibrate from this crazy unnatural existence we have constructed for ourselves.

And now that I think about it, I'd be livid if a doorbell went off in that sanctuary... But it's one of those places if you know where it's at, you just walk right in because you're welcome.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchandwait410
I would understand if it was a who is at the door thing but the actual doorbell sound is just weird...

Used to drive my ex and our kids crazy, if it looked like soliciting Id just ignore the doorbell. Never understood why they felt obligated to open the door to a sales call

but yea to get jumpy over the sound just shows how isolated some people have become.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Has anyone else noticed that a large percentage of TV commercials have a doorbell sound? Thankfully I have a 10 year old child with perfect hearing to tell me if it was the TV or not. ( Ted Nugent is responsible for this I believe...hehe)

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: lordcomac

Know what?

Just not in my house...

Is it that the sound is jarring? That might be a generational thing too. When I was little we didn't have electric clocks. We had to use wind up clocks with a little key. (on a side note, I remember every night when my dad would go through the hallway tell us what time it was so we could set our clocks, that probably sounds really weird to young people today) When the bell rang on those clocks (which was an actual bell) it was jarringly loud. I think we had a lot of very loud jarring sounds like that before the internet and computer and digital type of sounds/alarms.

the jarring factor is big- but honestly I think I just like being isolated.
If family shows up without a few hours notice I'm very annoyed. Part of the reason I bought my own hundred acre wood... I don't like havine people living a stones throw away.

I'm working at home today- if the doorbell rang I'd not answer without identifying the nearest firearm and peeking outside for unfamiliar vehicles... but then again, it would be very rare for a vehicle to pull in here without being able to hear it.

IMO, if doorbells don't give you a good startle, you're living in a sardine can and there's got to be something in the water keeping you comfortable there.

Doors exist for a reason- knock first if you want to open one.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Knapperdude
Has anyone else noticed that a large percentage of TV commercials have a doorbell sound? Thankfully I have a 10 year old child with perfect hearing to tell me if it was the TV or not. ( Ted Nugent is responsible for this I believe...hehe)

I gave up public TV at least 20 years ago now... but I remember the # they play on the radio seemed to have no problem with playing police car sirens ten years ago.
Had to quit the radio, too.

what the hell are they thinking with that, anyway? do the kinds of people who actually like the music they play on the radio also enjoy randomly being assaulted with a warning that jackboot thugs with blue lights may or may not be about to wreck their entire day?

I guess there's a divide there. Lots of people don't seem to mind...

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 12:09 PM
link   

i am not a millennial, but boy, oh boy i freak out when i hear the doorbell, usually i take the batteries off or just deactivate them somehow.

Usually i just sit there quietly, and wait for whatever evil force it is behind my door to go away,

Now it has become increasingly difficult as i got a dog few years back, and he is a SirBarksalot, so i just hushhh him the best i can.

My friends and family call me before they arrive, because i have trained them to do so.

But in all seriousness, people are bat # crazy, opening the door might mean that you are going to be murdered.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 12:11 PM
link   

You only half believe it because it obviously isn’t true..

For one people will say anything on the internet to be funny or shocking... it used to be agreed upon that internet comments were irrelevant..

This is almost certainly satire meant as a joke and to prove conservatives will believe anything that demonizes non conservatives..

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

My bet is satire meant to make conservatives look foolish as they pass it around as truth..

Just like the countless other examples

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: JustJohnny

This is almost certainly satire meant as a joke and to prove conservatives will believe anything that demonizes non conservatives..

For the love of ...............This post is not political in any way.
I really believe this is a real thing, just look at the comments on here. Some think it is jarring, some like isolation.
All I know is that I grew up with the doorbell constantly going off and we usually liked it and associated it with something good. Times have changed and now it is seen as something negative.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

I like the sound and rhythm of the old grandfather clocks.

A couple times a month, me and my buddies go up to their parents cabin on one of the mountains here. The place is therapeutic.

No cellphone data, patchy service allows you to make a quick call and relay some information, but a bit to patchy for extended talks.

You walk in the floor level into the kitchen and living area, during the summer all the windows are open and you can hear the sounds of nature. Most of the group is chefs so while we're up there something is always cooking in that area.

When you go to the other side of floor level, there is a study with a grandfather clock and a wood stove with all kinds of cozy chairs and couches and dim lighting. You're likely to catch someone just reading a book and sprawled out in there.

Upstairs is where all the bedrooms are, when everyone is awake there is just a radio turned down low with classical music throughout the day.

My favorite area is the one with the wood stove and grandfather clock. The tic and tocks are like a metronome that help you re calibrate from this crazy unnatural existence we have constructed for ourselves.

And now that I think about it, I'd be livid if a doorbell went off in that sanctuary... But it's one of those places if you know where it's at, you just walk right in because you're welcome.

That sounds like my kind of heaven. I live in a place like that. You can hear birds and bugs out here. There are so many stars in the night sky it seem like you could touch them. I think we are going too far from nature these days, and that is never a good thing.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join