It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SHORT STORY WRITERS CONTEST for April 2019 - "SNEAKING SUSPICIONS" [SS2019]

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I read an entry not listed here on the contest page. (unless I missed it)
The Wisper SS2019 by Lovely1973

It moved me to respond.
Survivors Guilt Not a contest entry.

edit on 9-4-2019 by pthena because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-4-2019 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Wow!
I just did a quick count of the entries and we're currently sitting at around 50 (FIFTY)!! (This looks like it could be a new RECORD number of entries!
THANK YOU SO MUCH for supporting our wee contest thread.
It is very much appreciated.

***MY APOLOGIES FOR THIS BEING SUCH A LONG POST***

With regards to the 50-word limit...
As you can see... a LOT more people tend to get involved, and there are a LOT more entries when we use the 50-word limit. This is a GOOD thing in my book.

New participants can practice their craft in a supportive, encouraging and safe environment.
Learning what works (and what doesn't) whilst benefitting hugely from the constructive criticism of our more established writers.
They can "earn their stripes" in the form of official ATS Writers' Status too, but it's not really about that.

As I mention in every OP:

" it is more about sharing our creative ideas, encouraging & developing new talent and having Fun! "

The more participants we have... the more creative ideas are shared and the more encouragement and development takes place.

Approximately 90% of our contests are of the more standard "Short Story" format.
This is our preferred format for the vast majority of these contests, BUT it can be quite daunting for inexperienced writers, taking that first step and trying to write a fully rounded tale for everyone else to read and critique.
I should mention here, that the actual number of non-writer entries drops off markedly when we run the standard "Short Story" format for more than a few contests in a row.
Given that the main purpose of these things is to encourage, share and develop writing talent whilst having some Fun with it... that seems a real shame.
That is why, on the odd occasion, we mix things up a little bit by holding a contest with a slightly more accessible format.
It allows inexperienced writers an opportunity to get involved without having to craft a full plot, or develop characters and storylines with twists galore etc.

I get that it's challenging. I get that it can be frustrating. I get that some writers prefer the longer format.
I get it - I really do.
But if we don't mix things up now and then... the contest thread will die off from a lack of entries.
(*Evidenced by NO Valid non-writer entries received in Sept'18 and Not Enough entries on either side of the podium in Nov'18. Followed by a HUGE number of entries for the word-limited contest in Dec'18.)

On the subject of how votes are cast and the suggestion of it being a popularity contest:
I agree that this can be a problem. I've looked at it extensively in the past and my honest answer is that there is no easy solution that I've been able to find so far.

For what it's worth... Within the posted Rules for each and every contest, I state:

"Points are awarded by ATS members giving FLAGS to their favourite story threads and STARS to their favourite story posts.
(You can award a Flag and/or star(s) to any stories that you like, but please don't give flags or stars for any other reasons.) "

But, people are people, and some people will automatically S&F their friends posts (or every post) regardless.
I am not aware of any mechanism that would allow us to prevent this.

All I can say is that I (with the help of the ATS Mods/Staff) do my best to keep the contests fresh, challenging and as fair as I possibly can.

I do so with the best intentions and I do so voluntarily (without reward).

If anyone is unhappy with any aspect of the contests, then please get in touch and suggest how we can improve it!

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

In the meantime, let's try and enjoy what (I think) has been a GREAT April contest so far!

G

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 05:35 AM
link   
3 Eyes

Non Writer - SS2019
edit on 10-4-2019 by Artemis12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Long time I've done this..

With or without titles for those fifty?

Coming home

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0bserver1
Long time I've done this..

With or without titles for those fifty?

The word count does not include the Title or "The End".

G

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Gordi The Drummer

Not a criticism so much as an observation. There is one story in particular which has a very 'unusual' subject line, and it that subject line seems to have drawn attention more than the story within. Somehow it seems there should be a way to account for this phenomenon.

Perhaps one method might be to limit the subject line to the poster's name and the short story contest name. Then, if there's a word limit, allow the poster to enter the title of the story within the body of the text with no word penalty.

For example:

Subject line - John Doe's entry for "SNEAKING SUSPICIONS" [2019]

Then within the body of the post text....

Title - "I Love the Smell of Dog Pharts in the Morning! Smells like...Victory!" (Juuuust an example!)
-----------------
(insert Short Story text)

(end)

This way, the subject line of the post is less likely to draw attention from people's not interested in the contest itself.

Just a thought.

P.S. - this might even draw more members into the short story contests because they click on the posts already knowing they're reading a contest entry (and hey, they might even look at the rules!).

edit on 4/10/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Wow, that is a LOT of entries! Congratulations for all the work you do in volunteering to do all that you do Gordi!

The popularity thing is certainly a concern and kind of sad, but I don't see a solution to that problem really. I may comment in a few stories and star and flag some without commenting. I don't like to play favoritism. I don't always have time to read every single entry by the end date, but try to read what I can.

You're doing a fine job in here!

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Today I never would have had this sneaking suspicion that a great man would leave our vision.
How rude the Ecuadorian embassy could be
Illegally end asylum for all to see.

Now as we stand looking stumped as fools
Maybe Gordi for once could change the sneaking suspicions contest rules?

The End for Jullian Assange...

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 02:44 PM
link   

The large number of entries may also be attributed to contestants being allowed two entries, which by the way I really like because sometimes when creativity starts to bubble to the surface there may be overflow.

Entry #2, I hope everyone enjoys it.

State of Flux

edit on 14CDT03America/Chicago01230330 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2019 @ 02:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

The large number of entries may also be attributed to contestants being allowed two entries, which by the way I really like because sometimes when creativity starts to bubble to the surface there may be overflow...

Hi ITL!

Absolutely!
The point I was making is... that when we don't mix it up a bit, the number of entries falls to the point where we can't even fill a podium... But when we do run an occasional word-limited contest, we seem to attract 40-50 story entries, which (with up to 2 entries each) equates to AT LEAST 20-odd participants AND a much higher proportion of (new) non-writers too.
It basically keeps it "healthy" IMHO.

Thank You for the feedback!!

G

posted on Apr, 12 2019 @ 02:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Hi FCD!

Yeah, I see what you're thinking.
To be fair, it doesn't actually happen that often, a story can only be entered into the contest if it complies with the theme, meets all of the rules (and site T&C's) and.... I actually quite like being "teased" into a story by seeing a clever title!
I don't think I'd like it as much if all of the titles in the Short Story Forum looked the same!!

I do very much appreciate the feedback though!

cheers,
G

posted on Apr, 12 2019 @ 02:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: 0bserver1
Today I never would have had this sneaking suspicion that a great man would leave our vision.
How rude the Ecuadorian embassy could be
Illegally end asylum for all to see.

Now as we stand looking stumped as fools
Maybe Gordi for once could change the sneaking suspicions contest rules?

The End for Jullian Assange...

LOL - I get the blame for EVERYTHING!!!!

G

posted on Apr, 12 2019 @ 11:23 AM
link   
No its fine Gordi, you're doing fine and great to have you doing this lol..

Let's try another one just for fun.

Reality

edit on 0b23America/ChicagoFri, 12 Apr 2019 12:14:23 -0500vAmerica/ChicagoFri, 12 Apr 2019 12:14:23 -05001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2019 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Title - "I Love the Smell of Dog Pharts in the Morning! Smells like...Victory!" (Juuuust an example!)

Sadly I do too, and I don't even have a dog?

posted on Apr, 12 2019 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I forgot to post my other entry here lol. I make no apologies for the story or title.

Fear Induced Constipation
edit on 12-4-2019 by Skid Mark because: CAPS
edit on 12-4-2019 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 04:29 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 14 2019 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Retribution [SS2019]

No idea what to say here! Just hope I got all the linking right?
edit on 14/4/2019 by teapot because: urg!!

posted on Apr, 14 2019 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: teapot

Yeah, it's all good - welcome aboard teapot!
G

(post by Marighma removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Apr, 17 2019 @ 08:54 PM
link   

50 words? Pfffffft...
Howz aboutz 17?

Accusations Unspoken.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join