It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Emerging technologies; always something?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I’m very fascinated by emerging technologies like brain computer interfaces and holograms and gene therapy. I’m also very much a Star Wars fan and I often wonder what are the emerging technologies of a civilization like the one in Star Wars. Does that society even have emerging technologies. Have they petered out? In a world where anti-gravity, FTL travel and sentient robots exist- what’s next. You would assume stuff we don’t see in Star Wars like teleportation, matter replication and time travel would be the obvious ones, but those are easy to think of concepts and the civilization would have tried to do that stuff a long time ago. The Galactic Republic had the hyperdrive for 10,000 years so I assume those 3 things among many are impossible to do. What then would the emerging technologies of Star Wars be? I put this in science and technology because I’m talking serious about science and want to treat Star Wars like it is the real world. That and nobody goes to the Sci-Fi/Fantasy forum lol.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: MaxNocerino7

I know it has been around for a while, but I just bought my first VR headset (Occulus RIft) and I am quite simply amazed by it.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 10:26 PM
link   

THink about it. In my sentient lifetime (40 years although I am turning 50 this year) we have went from pong to an endless amount of games and scenarios that I can almost experience as a reality. That is really amazing if you ask me.

I remember a Louis CK skit many years ago where he was belating people saying modern life is boring. The one part I can paraphrase is something like, "you are going to visit your grandmother in a freaking metal tube 30,000 feet above the ground at 500 miles per hour!!! you are bored? You think humanity isn't amazing? what INF is wrong with you?"

Or something like that.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Spontaneous creation of reality as it is imagined within an individual's personal dream world.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Fools

Yeh they do that, and then some!

What are you playing so far?
edit on 27-3-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Spontaneous creation of reality as it is imagined within an individual's personal dream world.

But we already do that, within the confines of other people's realities.

Sadly, most people think their lives suck and the world sucks, so we are stuck working with that...

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

Sadly, most people think their lives suck and the world sucks, so we are stuck working with that...

A lucid dreaming machines you just turn on and off.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: Fools

Yeh they do that, and then some!

What are you playing so far?

Just turned on today. PM me, I can add to the Steam account, I am not buying any new games at the moment though. My wife checked my checking account and was like...Um?

:-)

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 10:51 PM
link   

If everyone tomorrow woke up in America and said... you know what?

I am going to be the best I can possibly be today... be it in their job, their relationship, their life...

And did it.

Then did it the next day, and the next...

You would not recognize the planet in a year.

THEN we could start working on dreams being real.

Of course, you would have to have a positive attitude, so that's not going to be possible with 30% or so of our population thinking that America is inherently bad, the Man is holding you down, you are owed something and you are a victim.

Fortunately in my case, I took the positive outlook and can make my dreams come true.

I hope one day everyone can do that.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 10:58 PM
link   
So, they can read our minds, fool us with holographs, and change people into any species they want to.

It may be that we have entered the twilight zone.

For the young who do not know what the twilight zone is....google it, I had to learn about it the old fashioned way, watch it in black and white every week.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fools

I know it has been around for a while, but I just bought my first VR headset (Occulus RIft) and I am quite simply amazed by it.

I have to ask, because I am plotting a Christmas present to myself this year that involves VR...

How much space do I comfortably need?

8x12?

12x12?

Something other?

Interested in the answer....

edit on 27-3-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 12:17 AM
link   

We are already able to do this, technology is not required.

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 01:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Yoamr

We are already able to do this, technology is not required.

I lucid dream every single night. For many years now.

It doesnt come easy for most people. A technology that could assist in lucid dreaming would be amazing. People that havent experienced lucid dreaming have absolutely no idea what they are missing out on.

You guys think Occulus Rift is cool? You ain't seen nothing yet! In the lucid dream world you can instantly create the paradise of your heart's desire that you can feel, touch, taste, smell and the visuals can literally be more vivid than waking-life.

You can also just sit back and let your subconscious create your world and give you challenges and such. The realism can be hard to get used to. It takes some time to learn to stay calm in intense situations and keep your heartbeat down so as not to wake up.
edit on 3/28/2019 by Alien Abduct because: Trying to fix quote

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 07:36 AM
link   
But let's be totally honest. New technology is often aimed at exploiting people more than it is helping people. Or even if it is aimed at helping people, it's end result is that it ends up exploiting some people and helping others. Technology is usually just piling on. Might solve a thousand small problems that have been bugging you for decades but it will almost certainly create a much bigger problem than the one it solved in the long run.

It's like everything people do. We're always pissing in the wind from the day we're born.

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I know what Lucid dreaming is lol and was doing it long long before it even had the name and buddy it is cool .
But I dont try any more to much and you begin to lose touch with reality .

The very first time was when i was 14 i was dreaming i was marred looked at teh women ( and yes she was A GROWN WOMEN AND DID NOT KNOW WHO SHE WAS . And thought if i am going to dream I am marred it should be to someone i know .
So made a strip at the bottom of the dream ( just like news cast have for up coming news wile on air )
with all the photos of every girl I know looked at one photo said HER and poof there she was lol .

anyway fast forward 13 years I met the FIRST women who I seen in that dream and yes marred her .

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fools

I have to ask, because I am plotting a Christmas present to myself this year that involves VR...

How much space do I comfortably need?

8x12?

12x12?

Something other?

Interested in the answer....

Recommendation is at least 3 by 6. The Occulus comes with 2 sensors but it is advisable to have a 3rd. PC recommendations are important as well so make sure that you start upgrading your pc if you need to.

I have tried cell phone VR head sets and they are neat, but this Occulus is really something else. At times you honestly cannot tell you are not in the world around you.

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 11:28 AM
link   
double post
edit on 28-3-2019 by Fools because: dp

top topics

join