It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh no. NASA cant plan a simple thing like a spacewalk. Claims wardrobe malfunction issues

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Only 1 suit. Come on NASA - where are all those billions gone. No spare suit?

Oh wait their weight changed drastically.

So let me understand this - they were planning to do an all female spacewalk and they couldn't plan it months in advance?

Doesn't pass the smell test.

www.bbc.com...

A planned first all-female spacewalk has been cancelled because of spacesuit issues, US space agency Nasa says. Anne McClain and Christina Koch had been scheduled to install lithium-ion batteries at the International Space Station (ISS) on Friday. But Nasa says there is only one ready medium-size hard upper torso spacesuit that fits best each of the two women. Ms Koch will now conduct Friday's spacewalk with her male colleague Nick Hague, the space agency says.

"However, individuals' sizing needs may change when they are on orbit, in response to the changes living in microgravity can bring about in a body," she added.

www.scientificamerican.com...

"How does spending prolonged time in microgravity affect the bodies of astronauts?"

Space is a harsh environment that affects the body in many ways. In microgravity, bone loss occurs at a rate of 1 to 1.5 percent a month, leading to an acceleration of age-related changes similar to osteoporosis. Decreases in bone density and strength are more pronounced in some skeletal regions, such as the pelvis, although much of the loss is reversible upon return to Earth. Prolonged exposure to weightlessness also increases the risks of kidney stones and bone fractures, which are both associated with bone demineralization.

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

There is space for two full Extravehicular Mobility Units (EMUs), one short EMU, and two Orlan space suits (Russian equivalent to the EMU) aboard the ISS. They are stored in the Joint Airlock. Since the spacesuits are not part of the emergency plan, they do not store one for every astronaut (let alone a backup for each).

No idea what your problem is and why NASA would be to blame here.
edit on 26-3-2019 by moebius because: typo

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Hang on, surely minor bone density loss would only make the spacesuit slightly more roomy?

I think (now, this may sound admittedly slightly misogynistic...) that the micro-gravity has made a medley of mammoth mammories. A rigid torso'ed suit does not sound like a comforting companion to a space-walking quintuplet of swollen glands.

Either that or they need the bloke out there as well to make sure she puts the batteries in the right way around. 9 times out of 10 this is how the gent of the house fixes the remote.

edit (I said slightly up there, I meant extremely)
edit on 26-3-2019 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

What are you saying? That space makes a woman's cans get bigger?

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

We are sure to get the funding now after this great revelation !!

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 11:11 AM
link   
NASA once again is covering up the truth.

The suits fit perfectly but when they came out of their rooms and realised they had the same outfit on all hell broke loose.

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

Indeed. However, I noticed a slight gaff where upon in my haste of thinking about space balls (no longer just a movie), that I added an accidental fifth nork. (quintuplet instead of quadruplets)

I guess this is what happened to the writers of Total Recall...

But in all seriousness, it could indeed make it hard to breath. And just trying to plan for this on terra-firma would be a human resources nightmare. Nerds with anti gravity hands and clipboards is just not on in a #metoo climate.
edit on 26-3-2019 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff
Actually in replaying the ISS transmission, you can overhear one astronaut asking "does this make me look fat?"

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 01:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff
NASA once again is covering up the truth.

The suits fit perfectly but when they came out of their rooms and realised they had the same outfit on all hell broke loose.

"Houston we have a catfight!!"
edit on 27-3-2019 by BlackIbanez because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 01:45 AM
link   
bone density goes down in microgravity if the bones are not stressed enough in exercise, however the fit of suits does change and has been very well documented due to the pooling of liquids in the torso. This can cause some rather drastic changes in general body shape, more so for women than men due to having a very different upper body composition than men.
www.nasa.gov...

edit on 27-3-2019 by dubiousatworst because: linked source

edit another source not directly from NASA
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
edit on 27-3-2019 by dubiousatworst because: source 2

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 03:51 AM
link   
a reply to: dubiousatworst

Hang on... I actually wasn't being all that serious, surely a strip of gaffa tape could get those babs to 'touchdown'. I was thinking its more likely some small leak in the suit.

Now I don't know what to think, was my rampant and disgraceful misogyny spot on? Who would think such joyous delightful and industrious knockers can disrupt a NASA mission like some scene out of Flubber?

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 05:29 AM
link   
perhaps she had DD size ???

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 05:46 AM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

hahahaha I love that!

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 02:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

its okay, i take myself a little to seriously some times. As a person that would like to go to space for an extended journey sometime in my life, I certainly hope they find a fix for ...as you put it, industrious knockers. It is certain to get lonely in a male only ship.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: dubiousatworst

Well, I was wrong! But here's a proper answer!

I was driving in my car and low and behold nn my local radio station down under this topic came up, and they discussed it with an astronaut. I can't find a link I'm afraid, but her explanation was thus;

1. That in space bodies can elongate by as much as 6cm!
2. The space suits are modular
3. They have the sizes - medium - large and extra large.
4. They keep 2 of each of those sizes therefore, 6 arms sets (2 x medium, 2 x large, 2 x extra large) 6 legs (2 x medium, 2 x large, 2 x extra large) and 6 torso's (2 x medium, 2 x large, 2 x extra large).
5. Both ladies in testing had found the medium torso's to be perfect, however 1 of those torso's had a failure. What that failure is exactly I'm unsure of, but could be sensor wiring, leak, etc.
6. Since bodies can elongate, they decided to let her try the large sized torso.
7. Unfortunately it was too big for her to operate in.

Thus, my breast theory I could come up with was wrong. Don't I look the boob!

new topics

top topics

join