It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The School Cheating Scandal part III the conspiracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2019 @ 02:21 PM
link   
www.pbs.org...

Did the left just sacrifice their own to promote their agenda. When this scandal first came out, I knew there was more.
The bust says 50 people, but we know there are probably thousands of people that have benefitted from something like this.
50 people was enough to fan the flames of outrage and get people talking.

Today as more news comes out about the scandal and what should be done, the picture is becomming more clear...and disturbing.
The scandal is not a race isusse, it is an economic issue, but they don't want you to believe that.

Well, I would love to see a fundamental revamping of college admissions preferences. I would eliminate preference for athletes in sports that most kids don't get a chance to participate in.

Bascially they are saying, white only sports = evil..

Another topic that is being brought up is affirmative action. Harvard is being sued by Asians because of their discriminatory acceptance practices. Affirmative action is racist, plain and simple. There was a time for it and it was needed, that time is gone. They are using this scandal to say how much affirmative action needed now. I find it very interesting the timing of all this.

Standardized tests are being questioned now. What happens when the bar is too high for some, well of course you lower the bar, or get rid of the bar. (I don't necessarily disagree with this)

Some are calling for government control of college admission. I guess grade & high school isn't enough. What better way to indoctrinate the young and ensure a new wave of certain voters.

I've been reading a lot of local news and seeing some disturbing things. It appears we just have a lot of dumb kids, and a lot of cheating adults. Income and race plays no part. A girl claimed her very smart younger sister went to a bad inner city school. The principal made her take tests for other students so they would get more federal money. When the girls dad found out he blew his lid, but the principal bribed him to not say anything...

In the end you we all know who suffers the most, Middle class kids. Alway have, always will..

edit on 15-3-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2019 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Here's a good analysis of the whole thing from both ends - cheating scandal and affirmative action.

Both are wrong and the author even says as much:

To be sure, legacy preferences and racial preferences should both be eliminated.

In fact, there was a highly touted school called the Landry School where traditionally under-privileged students were educated to get into these schools, but in fact the whole thing was a scam not unlike what these kids were doing. No one actually went to class, they only learned how to put up problems on the board by rote to impress people who came in to visit. Stories were made up to make them seem sympathetic and go-getters at the same time -- so and so had a tragedy in his or her life but founded a non-profit to help others in similar circumstances to overcome type stuff.

And there have also been stories about how students have gotten themselves "diagnosed" as learning disabled to take advantage of all that. As the mother of an above average intellect kid who legitimately has a fairly severe case of dysgraphia as well a an auditory disorder, this cheapens things for him when his time comes.
edit on 15-3-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2019 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

As the mother of an above average intellect kid who legitimately has a fairly severe case of dysgraphia as well a an auditory disorder, this cheapens things for him when his time comes.

The whole part of the scandal that bothered me the most was some of the kids claiming they were disabled.
How sick is that. Kids with true disabilites already have an uphill battle, now because of these yahoos they will
be even more scrutinized!

Did you read the part where the parent told the kid to "act" disabled!

posted on Mar, 15 2019 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
www.pbs.org...

Did the left just sacrifice their own to promote their agenda. When this scandal first came out, I knew there was more.
The bust says 50 people, but we know there are probably thousands of people that have benefitted from something like this.
50 people was enough to fan the flames of outrage and get people talking.

Today as more news comes out about the scandal and what should be done, the picture is becomming more clear...and disturbing.
The scandal is not a race isusse, it is an economic issue, but they don't want you to believe that.

Well, I would love to see a fundamental revamping of college admissions preferences. I would eliminate preference for athletes in sports that most kids don't get a chance to participate in.

Bascially they are saying, white only sports = evil..

Another topic that is being brought up is affirmative action. Harvard is being sued by Asians because of their discriminatory acceptance practices. Affirmative action is racist, plain and simple. There was a time for it and it was needed, that time is gone. They are using this scandal to say how much affirmative action needed now. I find it very interesting the timing of all this.

Standardized tests are being questioned now. What happens when the bar is too high for some, well of course you lower the bar, or get rid of the bar. (I don't necessarily disagree with this)

Some are calling for government control of college admission. I guess grade & high school isn't enough. What better way to indoctrinate the young and ensure a new wave of certain voters.

I've been reading a lot of local news and seeing some disturbing things. It appears we just have a lot of dumb kids, and a lot of cheating adults. Income and race plays no part. A girl claimed her very smart younger sister went to a bad inner city school. The principal made her take tests for other students so they would get more federal money. When the girls dad found out he blew his lid, but the principal bribed him to not say anything...

In the end you we all know who suffers the most, Middle class kids. Alway have, always will..

If anything I think this scandal shows what kind of racket higher education has become. There some bigger picture issue that I think a lot of people are missing. Some issues aren't also directly related. This is about class, signaling, and social status.

My biggest takeaway is how important status is to some people more than money. These people were willing to pay more in bribes than the actual cost of the education just to say their kid went to XYZ school. Let that sink in. It has nothing to do with the actual education per se but the social status that a degree from a certain school confers above all else within the parent's social circle. It shows how petty and narcissistic some people can be.

These cases will get shut down and swept under the rug. If anything, the NCAA will see to that... If colleges and universities had to hold football and basketball Div 1 players to the same standards as the rest of the schools, billions of dollars would be lost. Imagine Duke's basketball team if they could only recruit guys with 1400+ SATs....

Half the teams during March Madness would not have any players....

Then you start bringing in the student loan bubble....

edit on 15-3-2019 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2019 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

There are cheating scandals in athletics. North Carolina comes to mind, but one way they cook the books is by recruiting some legit, high GPA kids who ride the bench or fill out the practice squad or compete in the non-money sports. You're talking to one although I was a legit competitor too. I earned my letter by placing at league as a freshman in a Power 5. I was actually good, but that's how they do it. You average academics across sports to help smooth things over.

Heh, that might be the complaint about "white people" sports although a lot of those athletes will come from overseas. And if too many of them are these cheaters, then I'm not sure how well the books are being cooked. Of course, I went to a school that wasn't known for cooking the books too. Doesn't mean they didn't, but they are hardly a "status" symbol with the derogatory nickname we had.
edit on 15-3-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2019 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

There are cheating scandals in athletics. North Carolina comes to mind, but one way they cook the books is by recruiting some legit, high GPA kids who ride the bench or fill out the practice squad or compete in the non-money sports. You're talking to one although I was a legit competitor too. I earned my letter by placing at league as a freshman in a Power 5. I was actually good, but that's how they do it. You average academics across sports to help smooth things over.

It is still gaming the system though... So you recruit some guys who will never play just so you can still recruit borderline retards who are good at a sport. We aren't even talking affirmative action where you may take a truly intelligent black kid who might have slightly lower test scores than average but admitting kids who read on an elementary school level just because they can play a sport.

posted on Mar, 15 2019 @ 02:55 PM
link   

They still have to find a way to get out of high school. There are plenty of them who can't and have to go through JuCo to get their grades up.

And at least where I was at, they spend a lot of time and effort keeping kids eligible. You had mandatory study hall three nights a week. They tracked you through your classes and profs. You also had tutors for anything you wanted. You even sat study hall on the road, but again, I have no way of knowing what the other schools did.

posted on Mar, 15 2019 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

They still have to find a way to get out of high school. There are plenty of them who can't and have to go through JuCo to get their grades up.

And at least where I was at, they spend a lot of time and effort keeping kids eligible. You had mandatory study hall three nights a week. They tracked you through your classes and profs. You also had tutors for anything you wanted. You even sat study hall on the road, but again, I have no way of knowing what the other schools did.

Don't know what sport you played, but there is a huge difference between say being on a top D-1 football / basketball team vs say playing volleyball or swimming. A lot of the athletes in the lesser sports are in fact smart / qualified to be at the school.

Basketball / football players that go to junior colleges are really dumb. I mean REALLY dumb academically. I think the minimum SAT is like 800 or there abouts. So if you can dunk a basketball you can go to Duke with an 800 SAT which means you spelled your name correctly... however, the typical Duke student would have like a 1400 score, even the 'diversity admits" would have similarly high test scores. If you have to go to Junior College because you couldn't score 800....

edit on 15-3-2019 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2019 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Like I said, some of them are, but some of them aren't. I went to K-State, so not an elite school, but a competitive one in its league.

Big 12 Academic honors

Dalton Risner will potentially be a first round draft pick for NFL. Reuter was a starting receiver carrying a 4.0 in biochem. Delton, Frantz, Goolsby, Monty and Schoen are all players at the top of the depth charts and not all carrying light options in majors with a couple in finance and one engineering major.

Granted, our program has weakened these past few years, but we've been pretty strong and ranked fairly consistently in the recent past.

We haven't traditionally done dumb student athletes although we've had our share.

posted on Mar, 15 2019 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Even very small colleges recruit athletes that can't do the academics and pay tutors to keep their graded up so they can play.

These dumbass athletes are on a full ride as well and their tutors have to work 2 jobs just to pay for tuition and books.

Don't keep a winning team and watch those alumni dollars dry up. College athletics is a scam all unto itself.

And gambling on college athletics gets a thread all it's own....

edit on 15-3-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 12:59 AM
link   

I agreed with your first post but on the second - you are not totally correct. Many high-GPA athletes CHOOSE to go to JUCO because - at least with baseball - you're draft eligible every year instead of after Jr year only. I know of several top SAT/ACT-scores with better than 3.5 GPA's who went to Juco specifically for the draft eligibility reasom.

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 01:02 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I agree with much of this. After having two kids - athletes - go through this process at relatively large schools, you're pretty spot on... Not to mention "booster club donations" by parents - those can often seem to essentially be legal "bribes"...

Even very small colleges recruit athletes that can't do the academics and pay tutors to keep their graded up so they can play. These dumbass athletes are on a full ride as well and their tutors have to work 2 jobs just to pay for tuition and books. Don't keep a winning team and watch those alumni dollars dry up. College athletics is a scam all unto itself. And gambling on college athletics gets a thread all it's own....

edit on 16-3-2019 by nicevillegrl because: add quote

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 01:05 AM
link   
total nonsense, first off it's only the peons that care about bull# issues like the color of your skin or this left vs right bs

the upper echelons of society does not care about any of these issues they care about power that's it

top topics

join