It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholic diocese demands apology from 'SNL' for Catholic skit

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: BomSquad

Yeah, but how do you explain how rampant it is among the ranked?

It may not be the parishioners, but it is definitely clergy and church leadership.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: dug88
Lol so SNL has to apologize but I guess they don't mind this?

I guess South Park was more accurate so they have no arguments for them?

no
they just know that the people that create south park will not be apologizing
they have only given 1 in 21 years

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: pteridine
...they seem to be monotonic and harsh...

Yeah, I don't think they should be harsh when it comes to child-rapers, they should have more laid back jokes like, 'Why did the Cardinal cross the road? He was running from the To Catch a Predator crew!".

Is this because making jokes about child abuse is high comedy? Do you think child abuse is a good topic for SNL "humor?" Should they do some funny skits on ISIS beheadings while they are at it?

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Why isn't it a fair comparison? The priests and R. Kelly both committed sexual acts that were inappropriate yet people follow them. I think that the Catholic leadership demanding an apology is ridiculous they are the ones that should be apologizing to the thousands of victimized altar boys and others that were victimized by priests and all thing covered up by Catholic leadership. But, I guess this is no more egregious than any of the other atrocities committed in the name of religion.

DZLDRBLR

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: pteridine
Is this because making jokes about child abuse is high comedy?

They're not making jokes about the abuse of children, they're lampooning the diseased organization that perpetuates the issue.

Do you think child abuse is a good topic for SNL "humor?"

I frankly don't think any topic is off limits.

Should they do some funny skits on ISIS beheadings while they are at it?

Sure, why not. ISIS is another bunch of religious scumbags.

edit on 13-3-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

link   
a reply to: Dzldrblr

Why isn't it a fair comparison? The priests and R. Kelly both committed sexual acts that were inappropriate yet people follow them. I

I was just saying logically, but that doesn't apply for comedy which I stated.

R Kelly is a musician.

Catholicism is a religion. I don't expect people change their beliefs in why we exist and how to enter the afterlife because a group of people in power made egregious mistakes. I do however expect them to understand why the organization is catching criticism and getting ripped on.

link   

originally posted by: dug88
Lol so SNL has to apologize but I guess they don't mind this?

I guess South Park was more accurate so they have no arguments for them?

Ohh man, I remember that episode.

That was hilarious, those guys really don't pull any punches.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

The Catholic Boat!

(post by TinySickTears removed for a manners violation)

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: Jefferton

originally posted by: neo96
I can't wait for SNL muslim skit

Being a 'free society' and all.

Google: SNL Muslim skit

Let your ignorance fade away!

You are talking to neo

Stupidity is bliss

And based on the number of stars on his ridiculously uninformed comment, stupidity spreads.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Well, they just want an apology. It would be in the best interest of SNL if they were to apologize. I know a lot of Catholics and quite a few of them like SNL. SNL's ratings could drop quite a bit if they ignore the Catholic Church.

The Catholic church is trying to fix their problems with the inappropriate actions of some of their priests and that should be commended that they are trying to fix it instead of cover it up now. It will make a better church if they fix that problem. I also have to note that many organizations attract pedophiles, some designed to help the youth have been targeted by people who desire the young. Does that mean we should make fun and slander all of the help organizations for the actions of some of their members? The cover up is the problem, and you have to remember, you cannot always believe the person who said they were inappropriately sexually abused, they might just have sour grapes because they were reprimanded for something or desired to punish someone who does not believe as they do. Sometimes the young make up things because they did not get home on time too. But the Catholic Church does seem to attract pediphiles and people who will bully women into sex.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: BomSquad
You know, the Catholic "Church" includes the parishioners too. There are 1.2 BILLION Catholics. I'm sure that a vast majority of them aren't molesting children.

How would you feel if you belonged to a group of conscientious people where a minuscule minority had perpetrated horrendous crimes and now people started treating you as if they represented the whole of your group?

Catholics are 1/6th of all humanity. If you looked at the statistics of any 1/6 of humanity I bet you would find the same percentages of people who do bad things.

By continuing to belong to this church you are indirectly condoning the hideous decisions that were made to perpetuate and protect pedophiles. This does not even include a huge list of abuse to the masses. I have no compassion whatsoever for any "member" of the Catholic church or their hurt feelings. I am just blown away that people continue to bring their kids into this devilish institution.
edit on 13-3-2019 by pointessa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

The Catholic church is trying to fix their problems with the inappropriate actions of some of their priests and that should be commended that they are trying to fix it instead of cover it up now.

Commended for finally acknowledging it? They're saving face and the cat was out of the bag for years and they finally decided to acknowledge it.

They protected the criminals, and all they did was acknowledge that they did that. How many was actual justice found sought?

I'm not holding it against anyone for being Catholic, but I'm not going to throw any positive vibes towards the organization.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I want to know why these priests weren't excommunicated and instead it seems they were protected. I mean wtf they excommunicated just about everyone involved in the termination of a pregnancy that was posing too great of a risk to the young sexual abuse victim in south America! Surely there own Catholic priest would deserve a greater punishishment for spreading their sperm into little girls bodies Which might lead to a pregnancy before the girls body is developed enough to be able to handle It than mothers, doctors,and nurses who decide to intervene to save the young child from possible death.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Perhaps it's time for a crusade against organized religion?

Can it be argued that the practice brings about more bad than good these days?
It certainly has its place in perpetuating ignorance.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

The Catholic church is trying to fix their problems with the inappropriate actions of some of their priests and that should be commended that they are trying to fix it instead of cover it up now.

Commended for finally acknowledging it? They're saving face and the cat was out of the bag for years and they finally decided to acknowledge it.

They protected the criminals, and all they did was acknowledge that they did that. How many was actual justice found sought?

I'm not holding it against anyone for being Catholic, but I'm not going to throw any positive vibes towards the organization.

Yes, they did protect the criminals because they were afraid of being condemned for having allowed these kind of people to take a foot hold in their organization. Denying it was not the right thing to do, but how do you know if it was real unless people stand up and confirmed it was happening. There is cover up in most help organizations that are finding workers who have abused their position to abuse the young and patients too.

When you are a business or organization and hire someone who does something wrong, the decision to hire comes from up the ladder, that person is guilty of hiring the bad person, so that person tries to downplay things and cover things up. So the wrongdoer gets away with it and can later do it again. That seems to be a human nature thing. If you fire that employee who was a good employee then find out the allegations were totally false, which does happen a lot, then you have lost a good employee and that person has been punished for something they have not done.

At least the Catholic Church is now trying to fix their problem, before they covered it up and moved the problematic ministers around. SNL has the right to do what they did, but this might actually hurt their ratings if they do not apologize, on top of that, maybe maybe members of other Christian Churches will also ban the show. Christianity is big here in the USA and you do not want to piss them off if you have a business that makes money off the masses.

If SNL wants to apologize, it is their call, I do not think they wanted to get the Catholics mad at them and lower their viewing score. If they are smart they should just apologize, I do not think they will have to worry about the Catholic Church suing them if they admit they should have vetted their content a little more wisely.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
Perhaps it's time for a crusade against organized religion?

Can it be argued that the practice brings about more bad than good these days?
It certainly has its place in perpetuating ignorance.

I understand your sentiment.... But do you want a world war, because that looks a lot like how you get a world war.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Comparison to R. Kelly is pretty light, almost considerate. Let's see.... 10 women compared to 1000's of priests with say 10-100 victims each or say 50,000 kids? Catholic Church needs to STFU, they are greeting off cheap.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 11:06 AM
link   

I do not think they will have to worry about the Catholic Church suing them if they admit they should have vetted their content a little more wisely.

If the Catholic Church tried to sue them, I promise that they would would catch more flak than SNL ever will about this.

This is about free speech to me, and there is nothing more sacred than being able to talk about systematic wrong doing.

Just because they are making an effort decades too late doesn't mean they get any leeway, not a shred.

Maybe in a few more decades, we can talk about the strides they made.....

Until then, I see this as nothing more than lip service, something they've offered before.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   
It needs more mockery religion does.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join